How the Flex will be a success

elkarlo

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have to say the sky is falling every time a spy shot/future Ford product news is posted?

I've never said that, chalk up liar to your list of mumbo-jumbo..

This thread is about the Flex, not me, not you, once again you've derailed a thread, good going. Even when people praise Ford you guys can't help yourselves... :nonono:

All I can say is, my 2002 Windstar has 180 000 kms and still going strong but as soon as the Flex hits the showroom, I'm gonna have to drop by my dealer when my wife just happens to be in the car and book an oil change. Oh, sweetheart, would you get me a coffie please? The machine is right behind that new Flex. :yahoo:

What would you feel better about pulling up to a PTA meeting in? A champagne Toyota Sienna, or a perfectly waxed dark blue Flex with a white roof, big shiny 18" rims, and a big Twin Force 3.5 burbling under the hood? At the end of the day, they're both getting the same fuel economy.

That's all I'm saying.

Or consider this... Your son is going to his High School prom and has to take a vehicle to pick up his date. Again do you think he would rather be seen in that champagne Sienna or that dark blue Flex with a white roof and 18" chrome rims??? This thing is going to be a kick ass family hauler that even the teenage kids will be proud to say their parents own. This is definitely what I call a "segment buster" and the last one Ford had was the Explorer. I don't think I need to tell you how well the Explorer did in the 1990's and early 2000's. I am not saying this thing will ever match the Explorer in sales during it's heyday, but I think it's going to do very well. It's cool and most of the vehicles in it's class are not cool. The whole cool factor did a heck of a lot for the Explorer and I think it will work again.

Edited by 2005Explorer

Or consider this... Your son is going to his High School prom and has to take a vehicle to pick up his date. Again do you think he would rather be seen in that champagne Sienna or that dark blue Flex with a white roof and 18" chrome rims??? This thing is going to be a kick ass family hauler that even the teenage kids will be proud to say their parents own. This is definitely what I call a "segment buster" and the last one Ford had was the Explorer. I don't think I need to tell you how well the Explorer did in the 1990's and early 2000's. I am not saying this thing will ever match the Explorer in sales during it's heyday, but I think it's going to do very well. It's cool and most of the vehicles in it's class are not cool. The whole cool factor did a heck of a lot for the Explorer and I think it will work again.

Well, we need to accept and embrace that the Flex is a polarizing design. Where some of us are drooling at the thought of this gleaming dark blue Flex, others just see an oversized Scion breadvan. Same with the Chrysler 300C. Some see the Bentley you can own, others see a flying brick. But this is far better than a ho-hum Ford Five Hundred that just flew completely under the radar.

If the market was ready for a wagon, the Freestyle and Taurus Wagon would be selling better despite the lack of advertising.

Sorry man, but I don't think you're comparing apples to apples.

When I went shopping for a minivan a few years ago, I checked the Taurus X (then Freestyle).

It's dimensions and practicality are nearly the same as a minivan without having the sliding doors. :(

At the time the 3.0/CVT drove like crap. The Freestyle couldn't hold a candle to the Sienna speedwise.

I did like the slow street/ parking lot manuevering, but that's all the Freestyle had going for it.

That car just doesn't seem like a wagon, it is truly more of a minivan. And soon my family will be ready to sell the Sienna and get something approaching its' practicality while being more fun to drive. The Taurus sedan wallows as bad as the Sienna, so so far I have nothing worth buying.

I hope the Flex turns out to be smaller then the Taurus X.

Well, we need to accept and embrace that the Flex is a polarizing design. Where some of us are drooling at the thought of this gleaming dark blue Flex, others just see an oversized Scion breadvan. Same with the Chrysler 300C. Some see the Bentley you can own, others see a flying brick. But this is far better than a ho-hum Ford Five Hundred that just flew completely under the radar.

Wow, I never saw it as a Scion (thankfully). I see the Flex as a family-sized Mini! Which is cool and funky without being munchkin-sized.

Look, comming with the 2010 Explorer this is how Ford's suv/cuv lineup will look like

-B-Max (Bronco, Faction, whatever) we will get a b car based crossover to compete with scion, Fit, and HHR etc.

-Focus X: next gen Focus C-Max competes with Rondo, Journey, 5, Rav 4 with 3rd row and others

-Escape: small 5 seat cuv: competes with CRV, Rav 4, etc.

-Edge: mid size 5 seat CUV: competes with Murano, Journey, New Toyota CUV, etc.

-Explorer: mid size 6-7 seat CUV: competes with Highlander, Pilot, etc.

-Flex: large 6-7 seat CUV: competes with GM's Lambdas, Chryslers Minivans, Toyota and Honda minivans, and upscale versions of Pilots and Highlanders.

Ford is splitting the mid size market that traditionally had been held by Explorer since 2002. Now it has Edge for 5 seaters with radical styling and the Explorer for families who need or want 6-7 seats.. The Flex competes with minivans and those coming up from the mid size market but dont want a minivan or an expedition and those fleeing tahoes and expeditions because of fuel economy. It doesn't take a genius to figure this out.

having just finished our build of 50 flex here in oakville. the overwelming resposne is wow. this vehicle is actualy drop dead gorgeous.when we origionally had a few bodies come through for testing most people thought to big to ugly etc.. seeing them done in all the colour combinations and loaded,this vehicle is beautiful.

as a dealer the Flex cannot come too soon. having no real people hauler is a huge disadvantage . a crappy minivan would have been Better than none at all. i can't even find used ones. it has really hurt us. my wife-hauling two kids- and their stuff- is in an Edge and hates it. drives fine but no room. their are plenty more out there not driving new Fords because of this. the Flex will be welcomed with open arms.

A nicely optioned Flex with the white top makes much more of a statement than a generic, dated minivan. The minivan is as dated as your average SUV. Both the minivan and SUV market are contracting and the CUV market is growing. Ford is putting the money into the correct segments...the growth segments. Many people who buy new want something different and distinctive. Yeah, the Flex will probably get some Explorer, Freestar, and TaurusX buyers, but I think it will get more minivan buyers who looked at the Sienna, Caravan, Town and Country, Odyssey, and Quest minivans or who used to own one.
Edited by RichardJensen

I still think that the Flex is all about timming. The "Box on Wheels" look is a fad right now, but fads tend to fade rather quickly. Also, the "box on wheels" or "Scion/Element" look mainly seems to appeal to the young crowd. I am not sure these people are ready ( or able ) to spend $35-40K on a Flex.

The vehicle will have appeal to the "soccer mom" crowd as a people mover. However, I think most people in this segment still tend to prefer a mini-van as it will still be more family friendly with sliding rear doors. Most 'Soccer Moms" are more worried about utility than style in my opinion.

The one good thing that the Flex has going for it is that "I ABSOLUTELY HATE THE LOOK". That usually means that it will do well since I am usually wrong about anything that has to do with current fads. As a 43 year old male ( no kids ) I am 100% outside of the target market anyway...

P.S. I love my Edge. I have to admit that I liked the look from day one, so, it is a small miracle that it is selling so well...

I agree...it's the new Explorer even though it will never sell like the Explorer. Those days are over. And remember Job 1 is only about 98 days away. It's almost here and Jim Farley will have a hand in promoting it hopefully and get the advertising right. I know that Farley is a wizard at promoting new vehicles on the internet. The Flex is starting to look like a homerun.

Yeah, those on here who complain about the blandness of the 500 and Freestyle should be excited about the polarizing style of the Flex. If they are not excited, then they are hypocrites. Ford took a chance, a risk have you and need to be commended for it, not criticized. If you don't like it, fine, but at least admit that Ford did exactly what you wanted them to do and give them credit.

having just finished our build of 50 flex here in oakville. the overwelming resposne is wow. this vehicle is actualy drop dead gorgeous.when we origionally had a few bodies come through for testing most people thought to big to ugly etc.. seeing them done in all the colour combinations and loaded,this vehicle is beautiful.

Thanks for the report. Official Job 1 date is coming up fast. I have seen it on the street all decked out and it is awesome looking out in public. Really stands out from crowd much like the Chrysler 300.

Yeah, those on here who complain about the blandness of the 500 and Freestyle should be excited about the polarizing style of the Flex. If they are not excited, then they are hypocrites. Ford took a chance, a risk have you and need to be commended for it, not criticized. If you don't like it, fine, but at least admit that Ford did exactly what you wanted them to do and give them credit.

Yes it is a 'polarizing' design. That's why it is probably just as well that it has been "out" for as long as it has. I'm referring, of course, to all the spy pics that have been out on the web. The point is, while lots say they don't like it, the Flex has not generated the horrific reaction that the Aztek received.

Ford has to be edgy, but there's always the danger of sliding over the edge into Aztek market rejection. IMHO, this is not going to happen with the Flex.

Edited by Edstock

Not sure why this vehicle is so hard to understand by some of you and why so negative. The Edge is a five passenger CUV and has been criticized that it doesn't have room for seven. The Flex does that and has even more room than the Taurus X. In fact, the Taurus X will probably be eliminated within year or so after Flex is out and up to speed. I'm sure most will be able to buy a nice Flex for somewhere around $32,000. Sure, any vehicle the size of the Flex will cost an arm and a leg if you option it out. A fully decked out Explorer can easily top $40,000 MSRP and the Edge can get close to that number also if you throw the kitchen sink in. It seems that when a new vehicle comes out the early buyers like with the Edge want the top of the line model. But after initial burst many want a middle of the road model with some of the options.

And why bitch about the price of the refrigerator? Dont order it if you don't want it. It's a ripoff just like the Navigation system in all vehicles is a ripoff. They all do it. Again, don't order it and buy yourself a navigation system for $200 at Best Buy. Same goes for DVD systems...another ripoff. After market systems are fine and portion of factory price.

I'm not bitching....just wasn't getting it. After reading some of the posts here I'm getting the idea.....a grown-up version of the xB/Mini's panache and style, yet big enough for a real family.

It seems to me, when buying the top of line, some of the options should be standard.

I hope it does well....I've yet to see one.

I'm not bitching....just wasn't getting it. After reading some of the posts here I'm getting the idea.....a grown-up version of the xB/Mini's panache and style, yet big enough for a real family.

It seems to me, when buying the top of line, some of the options should be standard.

I hope it does well....I've yet to see one.

If you look at Ford's Limited models, you will notice that lots of options are standard equipement like heated seat and leather seats, traction control, sync, electronic HVAC control, and so on. Every manufacturer plays the game of having still more options that are never standard. It's called making a profit. Over the years though, you do notice that more and more options become standard. And it is probably main reason that cost of vehicles go up every year. Don't forget too that the more options you get, the more that can go wrong if you decide to keep the vehicle a long time.

My 2002 Taurus was the first vehicle I ever owned with ABS and wouldn't you know it year 5 the ABS light came on. It's going to stay on because I'm not willing to spend $800 including labor to replace sensors in every wheel. The more sensors you have the more sensors that will fail over time. I know how to pump the brake anyway and it doesn't cost $800 to do it. Something to think about when you option a vehicle out. Do I plan on keeping it after warranty is gone and how much can go wrong as road salt eats away at your vehicle over time.

15.jpg

That's a good picture of I assume a pre-production model.

It appears to be a Limited model.

I guess Ford eliminated the projector headlights for even the Limited model. Maybe HID/xenon bulbs are available (w/out projector lenses), like Mustang. I assume the LED taillights are gone too. Although, if they are replaced w/ Taurus/X type light bulbs that be ok, since they illuminate equally fast and can be made to look like LEDs anyways.

Edited by rmc523