Today's Topic: The Taurus/Taurus X

ZanatWork

So...

...once again, my favorite car company is treating two of its best-built and most capable vehicles like unloved stepchildren. What makes it worse this time is that the vehicles in question are evolutions of the last versions which were similarly unloved and deserted.

How, with the entire world lambasting Ford for years over the non-advertising of the Five Hundred/Freestyle, does the Blue Oval now repeat this moronic error and essentially blow off the Taurus and Taurus X? Note to Ford's ad clowns: these vehicles are getting good reviews and stand up to their immediate competition VERY well, and are no longer only desirable to the clever and vehicle-informed looking for cavernous interiors with huge incentives.

These are very good vehicles, and their parent company is failing them aggressively right now. I can't fathom why boosting sales of $30K+ sedans and CUVs wouldn't be an ideal pursuit?!?

So...

...once again, my favorite car company is treating two of its best-built and most capable vehicles like unloved stepchildren. What makes it worse this time is that the vehicles in question are evolutions of the last versions which were similarly unloved and deserted.

How, with the entire world lambasting Ford for years over the non-advertising of the Five Hundred/Freestyle, does the Blue Oval now repeat this moronic error and essentially blow off the Taurus and Taurus X? Note to Ford's ad clowns: these vehicles are getting good reviews and stand up to their immediate competition VERY well, and are no longer only desirable to the clever and vehicle-informed looking for cavernous interiors with huge incentives.

These are very good vehicles, and their parent company is failing them aggressively right now. I can't fathom why boosting sales of $30K+ sedans and CUVs wouldn't be an ideal pursuit?!?

Therein lies the rub.....the Taurus/Sable nee 500/Montego are essentially carry overs with notable improvements. The public ignored them before and they don't look substantially different now. They were good cars then....better now. But the die was already cast.

If they had redesigned the body into something sleek ala MKS, people would have NOTICED! Or put in the TF 3.7 where it really shook up the car mags (think 64 GTO!). It needed a Big Splash....not a ripple.

I hear there is a redesign in the works that should get the Taurus hopefully back on track.

Therein lies the rub.....the Taurus/Sable nee 500/Montego are essentially carry overs with notable improvements. The public ignored them before and they don't look substantially different now. They were good cars then....better now. But the die was already cast.

If they had redesigned the body into something sleek ala MKS, people would have NOTICED! Or put in the TF 3.7 where it really shook up the car mags (think 64 GTO!). It needed a Big Splash....not a ripple.

I hear there is a redesign in the works that should get the Taurus hopefully back on track.

The problem is, the 500/Freestyle were barely advertised, either. The new variants are so much better and getting the reviews to back it...it's time to let the customers know.

Does Ford have enough advertising dollars to overcome the unfortunate styling(or lack there of) to boost the Taurus500 sales?

In my view, the best advertising is the vehicle itself and as more appear on the road the better it advertises itself. I know that in Metro Detroit I see more and more new Taurus/TaurusX on the road every month. They are very prevalent around here. If they are out and about and the owners love them and they are reliable, the word will get out just as it does if a movie is really good. It's called having "legs." Ford would be wise to spend advertising bucks regionally where Taurus is unknown. If the vehicle is really good, it will sell itself.

You mean the Ford Flex redesign, also based on the same platform?

I suspect the Taurus X will be dropped, with poor sales and the crossover market being covered by the Edge and Flex, especiallly if the Flex does well.

This is unfortunate, as I like the T-X design better than the Flex, and I like the smaller external dimensions of the T-X. This is why I didn't prefer the Outlook over the T-X.

Edited by LarryQW

You mean the Ford Flex redesign, also based on the same platform?

I suspect the Taurus X will be dropped, with poor sales and the crossover market being covered by the Edge and Flex, especiallly if the Flex does well.

This is unfortunate, as I like the T-X design better than the Flex, and I like the smaller external dimensions of the T-X. This is why I didn't prefer the Outlook over the T-X.

The Taurus X will supposedly merge with the Explorer to become a new unit body vehicle. The Taurus is supposed to get an extreme makeover.

In my view, the best advertising is the vehicle itself and as more appear on the road the better it advertises itself. I know that in Metro Detroit I see more and more new Taurus/TaurusX on the road every month. They are very prevalent around here. If they are out and about and the owners love them and they are reliable, the word will get out just as it does if a movie is really good. It's called having "legs." Ford would be wise to spend advertising bucks regionally where Taurus is unknown. If the vehicle is really good, it will sell itself.

that was the thinking behind the 500 advertising,managment tried to sell us at cap that word of mouth is the best for it . it failed, so ford better get their heads out of their ass's before we at cap are on layoff for most of the year agian

The Taurus X will supposedly merge with the Explorer to become a new unit body vehicle. The Taurus is supposed to get an extreme makeover.

True, but probably not until 2011 or 2012MY for both.

I guess Volvo and FoE will have the "bugs" worked out of the EUCD platform which is now in the 2008 S80, Mondeo and Galaxy.

Maybe it is just not a product people are interested in buying - not sure what their target market was with the vehicle, but I don't think advertising would matter much - the money is in crossovers right now, so that is where Ford is advertising.

I like large American sedans, but a front wheel drive sedan based on an old Volvo is not something I'd be interested in buying. Truth be told, once the Panther dies, the large American sedan will be dead.

Maybe it is just not a product people are interested in buying - not sure what their target market was with the vehicle, but I don't think advertising would matter much - the money is in crossovers right now, so that is where Ford is advertising.

I like large American sedans, but a front wheel drive sedan based on an old Volvo is not something I'd be interested in buying. Truth be told, once the Panther dies, the large American sedan will be dead.

Wait wait wait. So you'll buy what you call an old Volvo (its not), but you love buying what is an old Ford..... :shrug:

I too am beginning to see a lot of new Taurus/Taurus X's. Actually, I believe I'm seeing more Taurus X's than the Taurus, but still, I'm seeing increased numbers of both.

Taurus, Sable and Taurus X are among the best in their class and yes, beautiful too. The 2008 Taurus is far superior to the new Chevy Malibu.

I'm not sure what planet you're living on, but the Taurus / 500 / Sable ...whatever they are calling them today, cannot even come close to the Malibu. Some of you folks on here would defend Ford's products if they resurrected the Pinto...in its original form... :banghead:

I'm not sure what planet you're living on, but the Taurus / 500 / Sable ...whatever they are calling them today, cannot even come close to the Malibu. Some of you folks on here would defend Ford's products if they resurrected the Pinto...in its original form... :banghead:

And the Malibu is better how?

Yes, yes, Malibu is loads better. Because better means not having a standard six speed automatic, 263 horse V6 and all wheel drive right? Isn't is sad that Chevy's four banger Malibu has 100HP less then the standard Ford Taurus engine? And that GM is still using that extremely old and outdated four speed automatic transaxle? Yeah, that sure is better. After all the larger, more luxurious Taurus "cannot even come close to the Malibu", right?

Don't you just love it when Chevy fan boys come to Ford enthusiast boards?