If the Ford Family Could Have a Do-Over…

Did the Ford family zig when it should have zagged?

Remember news reports back in the spring that said the family had considered hiring bankers to explore options (read: sell) for its 40% voting stake in the eponymous auto maker? If not, read about them here. They said the family weighed and ultimately decided against hiring advisory firm Perella Weinberg for the job.

Ford stock was trading at about $8 then. With news today that Ford has officially been surpassed by Toyota for the No. 2 spot in U.S. auto sales, and a grim 2008 forecast from the company, the stock now is down nearly 25% since then, to just above $6.

READ MORE HERE.

I really feel for all the Ford's. They have always been loyal to SE MI and continue to be. As of now, I don't think the Ford's have any choice now on what to do other than ride out the storm and see where Ford is after the recession is over and the mortgage industry is on the mend. The stock is pretty much worthless as of now, and can't go much lower than becoming penny stock. I still see a merger as a strong possibility, but who knows. I still like Nissan and Ford getting together as they know how to get exciting product out and not as bland as Toyota which I hate with a passion. Or maybe just let Mazda do their cars and be done with it.

I say we change the subject somewhat.

If we are talking do over about hiring Nassar and then having Billy at the Reigns, I bet you they would. But hindsight is 20/20,many things in my own life and many things in everybody's life they would do over if they could,. but you can't. Ford is a shit bin because of Nassar and Billy at the reigns.

Oh, and there are some STUPID people that read the WSJ blogs. Their comments section looks only marginally more intelligent than what you see at TTAC. And as we all know, if you have any brains at all, you are not likely to post comments at TTAC, and that if you do, you will be banned.

like this guy?

P71_CrownVic :

January 3rd, 2008 at 6:59 pm

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/news-blog...age-2/#comments "

From what I've heard about Sync, it's everything that iDrive isn't, like intuitive and easy to use."

Yeah, but no matter how much you yell, you can't unleash the 500 horsepower in the Focus.

It looks SYNC is the ONLY reason to buy a new Ford these days…

If we are talking do over about hiring Nassar and then having Billy at the Reigns, I bet you they would. But hindsight is 20/20,many things in my own life and many things in everybody's life they would do over if they could,. but you can't. Ford is a shit bin because of Nassar and Billy at the reigns.

A case definitely can be made in Nasser's name. This is the guy who killed off the Cougar/Thunderbird RWD platform which was still a decent and modest success in 1997 and still sold well. Also killed the Aspire... Would that vehicle sell now? YOU BETCH YER ASS IT WOULD!

Bill Ford Jr. He basically has his father's traits... What else can be said?

Are you concerned that his owning the Lions somehow has an affect on Ford's current stock situation?

No, that is a suggestion. Basically the Lions is and always has been a bad investment no matter what the situation or answer to any question. I say... Sell the team and buy more stock.

Edited by Bored of Pisteon

Yes, lets hire Nassar back and beat Chrysler to the "dismantle whats left of the company" finish line.

This is an example of how smaller stock holders can affect market price.

Just as one lunatic wanted to be the first stock holder to pay $100/barrel for oil,

small disenchanted Ford stockholders cutting and running are trading out at $6/share.

The vast majority of stockholders won't sell at $6/share, otherwise Ford would buy back

all shares for $15 billion. If there was a real run on the stock, the price would crash out

and Ford would win big time. Theywould becoming a private company for a few Billion bucks

pay off their loan and make huge profits!

It ain't gonna happen people.

Edited by jpd80

BINGO! We have a winner!

Did the Ford family zig when it should have zagged?

Remember news reports back in the spring that said the family had considered hiring bankers to explore options (read: sell) for its 40% voting stake in the eponymous auto maker? If not, read about them here. They said the family weighed and ultimately decided against hiring advisory firm Perella Weinberg for the job.

Ford stock was trading at about $8 then. With news today that Ford has officially been surpassed by Toyota for the No. 2 spot in U.S. auto sales, and a grim 2008 forecast from the company, the stock now is down nearly 25% since then, to just above $6.

READ MORE HERE.

I'm happy with the price I am currently buying my stock for becase I'm getting nearly double the shares. If we continue on our road to quality and surpass Toyota with a little time it will pay off for us as a company and me as a share holder! I believe in this company and it's people and know that we will not be beaten in the long run! We are doing great work company wide, and just have to maintain to secure our futures. I can see where some who bought in at a much higher price may be concerned, but this should be a motivator for our work ahead! Only we can and will determine our future!

Edited by Furious1Auto

Dont get me wrong, I'd love to come in and buy a bunch of ford stock. I'm a ford guy, and I always have been. but my cardinal rule in stock buying is, "do I use and love the product?" ford currently sells nothing I'd be willing to make a payment on.

build an interceptor, put a 6 cyl diesel in a 1/2 ton Econoline, build a mid-size RWD 5-pass car with a v-8 option, or God forbid a STATION WAGON! and I'll return to making payments.

I have purchased $377,000 (msrp) worth of new fords since the 80s. I haven't spent a dime since 1997

with those criteria, I cant justify ford stock even at $5

As I recall, young William was showing his environmental colors when he took over from Jack, and no one would listen to him. He was lucky to get the Escape Hybrid pushed thru, and had they listened to his statement about how he believed gasoline was not an endless resource, Ford would be well ahead of its domestic competitors and likely equal to the Japanese in their offerings of fuel efficient vehicles.

As I recall, young William was showing his environmental colors when he took over from Jack, and no one would listen to him. He was lucky to get the Escape Hybrid pushed thru, and had they listened to his statement about how he believed gasoline was not an endless resource, Ford would be well ahead of its domestic competitors and likely equal to the Japanese in their offerings of fuel efficient vehicles.

Bill Jr had the right idea at the wrong time (environment) but did not have the chuztpah to can the assholes that ran their little corners of Ford like a Byzantine Empire. The best thing he could have done was bring in Allen and clear out those assholes so that Ford could finally become a modern 21st century company. Lets see if Ford is finally turning a corner....it is painfully slow and hard to watch....but I believe they are on the right track.

Nasser did more damage than just the T-bird/cougar, he also gave away the MD truck market which Ford OWNED outright. that alone was stupid enough to justify firing.

Bill Jr while I don't put anywhere near the contempt I have for Nasser, I'm happy Bill replaced him, but caving in to the enviro-whack-jobs over the Excursion really ticked me off. it wasn't the biggest SUV ever built, (think 73-91 Suburban/69-77 Travelall) it had a ULEV rating, it was paid for, and selling all right. future upgrades would have been 100% paid for by the superduty line. the only thing it had against it, is a system-wide problem of poor "packages" with not enough options people want. if the EX had a basic XLT trim level, it would have sold much better. limiting it to only tow high-end packages was profoundly stupid. the companies I worked for could never get enough fleet-only base models, as they were backordered 6-8 months. we bought suburbans that sucked because we had to.

Ford has so many more levels to go before they go under......don't forget when Iacocca(sp) borrowed from Uncle Sam and not the banks allan did. They are an industrial giant that the US economy can't let go....awesome product and someone that has righted the ship is what they have, I am going all in on Ford stock....