CNN Article on Mustang's Glass Roof

Catalepsy

I know others aren't too enamored with it, but I think it's a neat little gimmick. I wonder how much of the structural integrity is kept by using the glass instead of the metal?

Well, the entire perimeter of the roof structure remains in tact with the glass roof, and the car was likely designed with this application in mind from the get-go, so it probably doesn't compromise anything except perhaps weight. Classic Design Concepts has been offering this glass roof aftermarket since the day S197 went on sale, so chances are they were involved from an OE perspective to make sure the chassis rigidity was there for it.

I know others aren't too enamored with it, but I think it's a neat little gimmick. I wonder how much of the structural integrity is kept by using the glass instead of the metal?

I would imagine that if anything, it's better. I don't know the gage of Mustang sheetmetal, but I'd say that between pop can and soup can it's definitely closer to pop can.

The structural cross members are between the A and B pillars, and the perimeter ring is still there.

• 4 weeks later...