Detroit News Talks up the F-150

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently buttons are too.

My take on the buttons.

When I saw a 2007 Escape Limited with the all button center stack the first thing that came to mind was "Volvo" Which those Volvos designed by Horbury as well, I'm starting to see a connection.

I see the F150 luxury editions continuing down this Horbury road.

You mentioned the top of dash display. While I agree with you about display placement, the idea is that your line of eyesight is closer to the road. To me, with this new system, you now have to look 2 places rather than one, causing even longer time looking away from the road, but I suppose you will 1)get used to it and/or 2)be able to use the steering wheel controls as well (if equipped).

1. Good designs do not require "getting used to it" everything should the thought out and operate as part of a natural movement. When you glance down to push a button or turn a knob your eyes are already on that spot so it makes sense to have the display right there so you don't have to look in two different places to control a function.

2. If you design the dash controls correctly then you do not need redundant secondary controls on the steering wheel. There only needs to be one control for each function if it is designed correctly.

WTF are you on?

Dodge doesn't limit their tow rating!!.....its the most that frame under that Dodge can take without the chance of flexing

Why the hell would dodge limit their tow rating under what the frame can actually take?.......please answer that!!!, especially in the highly competitive market of half-ton pickups WHY? WHY?

There is a reason why the F-150 tows and hauls more, maybe it has to do with the most important part of a truck....it's frame(you know, the thing your supposed to build a truck around, and its not the engine)

There is no mention of frame changes for the dodge which makes it even more or just a refresh in terms of trucks than the F-150 which is trying to make a more capable pickup

from reading your posts....i believe you have no business talking about trucks

now has anybody maybe thought that the drop in weight of the new frame will have an effect on the speed of the truck?......along with more power out of the 5.4L and a 6 speed trans

i probably think the most important news will be how much the F-150 shed in weight, if it shed any at all, im pretty sure the F-150 is also the heaviest half-ton out there

the F-150 will still be the best TRUCK out there, however it won't be the best DRAG RACER out there

I read in the ford press release that it shed about 100 lbs. with the new frame.

I've dealt with this sort of layout on a few Mazda's before, I personally find it a bit annoying at times. Mainly these times are when I'm looking for something specific, otherwise, if I'm doing the tuning from the steering wheel, then I don't need to bother looking at any display.

If anything, the most annoying part is when this information "strip" has the A/C info thrown around a bit, you have to read thru everything to look for the icon your trying to select and you feel a bit more of a disconnect because the buttons are down lower on the dashboard.

Wonder how the information strip is dealt with when there's a Navi system.

1. Good designs do not require "getting used to it" everything should the thought out and operate as part of a natural movement. When you glance down to push a button or turn a knob your eyes are already on that spot so it makes sense to have the display right there so you don't have to look in two different places to control a function.

2. If you design the dash controls correctly then you do not need redundant secondary controls on the steering wheel. There only needs to be one control for each function if it is designed correctly.

Does the new F150 have top of dash display on the front window? Ive driven a ponitac grand prix with this feature and I loved it.

The diesel will likely be the engine to get, with the best FE as well, as of right now nobody seems to know when the Boss motor will be out, but Ford neglected to mention it for 2010 which tells me it might be as late as 2011 (which itself is mind boggling as it's just a V8, not cold fusion!).

The competition is bringing much more power and improving FE, the Ram is even more aero than the old one, it looks like Ford made this Focus-150 less aero..

Thanks for the advice, but I've already read over the press release, the F-150 was already the most capable truck, by far, the most I'd ever need to carry in one is a coupe dirt bikes and gear weighing at around 6-700 pounds, I don't need bed steps, more towing capacity, etc.. I would never attempt to haul around all of Texas in my bed. What I want is a classier, evolutionary change in style, a fix of the little things which didn't look right, and the 6.2. Instead we got more capacity which is what the Super Duty is for, a hideous exterior which itself would keep me from buying it no matter how good the rest of the truck is (It really looks like the hack that designed the Focus did the changes on this thing), and again, last in class powertrain.

The whole thing looks different to me, it's not "radically" different, but it looks like they cleaned it up, it looks classy, while the F-150 looks gaudy and garish, they also made the design look cohesive and modern, while the F-150 looks old and like it was thrown together from a bunch of mis-matched pieces. Just look at the rear end of the Ram compared to this thing, did Ford have to put ghetto Altezza chrome around the mammoth rear tail/sidelights??

You have to realize, the F-150 is Ford's bread and butter, it's what makes the profits that keeps this company afloat, and it has the most loyal owners of any vehicle, if they screw this thing up they are toast. I know a lot of people that have bought new trucks over the past few years, all Dodge and Chevy's, no way is this abortion going to make them trade in for the F-150.

What does that mean? I've never been about to tow a 9000lb. trailer and thought "Gee, if only I could get 11000 pounds on this thing..." How many people tow that much weight? 1-2%?

They are a big deal because they look like cheap ricer lights somebody bought off Ebay for 10 bucks, and ruin the trucks looks from the rear and sides.. You don't bring in customers by scaring them off.

I didn't, but instead of trying to turn it into a Super Duty, they should have tried to make it better to everybody, not just the one guy who will try to tow a mountain with it.. It looks like Dodge made an all around effort, the Super Duty is for the huge loads, the 150 is supposed to be a light-duty for Christ's sake! With the Ranger dying off Ford really needs an F-100/Ranger replacement...

Well everyone has their opinion. Mine is that the new F150 was improved quite a bit. I really like that they shaved 100lbs off and that itll get a 6 speed. I think the 6.2L, the ecoboost engine, and the diesel will all have good power and in the case of the diesel and Ecoboost engine pretty good fuel economy. Ive also read that they added a feature where fuel shuts off during deceleration, so that will improve FE also. The sealing caplass gas tank is cool too, thatll stop fuel from vaporationg which will save more gas. Also ive heard that HLA is still alive and that theyre working the kinks out bc it gets good city mileage but they havent made it balanced enough to release to the pubic. (ie highway gains)

Edited by ray101988

WTF are you on?

Dodge doesn't limit their tow rating!!.....its the most that frame under that Dodge can take without the chance of flexing

Why the hell would dodge limit their tow rating under what the frame can actually take?.......please answer that!!!, especially in the highly competitive market of half-ton pickups WHY? WHY?

There is a reason why the F-150 tows and hauls more, maybe it has to do with the most important part of a truck....it's frame(you know, the thing your supposed to build a truck around, and its not the engine)

There is no mention of frame changes for the dodge which makes it even more or just a refresh in terms of trucks than the F-150 which is trying to make a more capable pickup

from reading your posts....i believe you have no business talking about trucks

now has anybody maybe thought that the drop in weight of the new frame will have an effect on the speed of the truck?......along with more power out of the 5.4L and a 6 speed trans

i probably think the most important news will be how much the F-150 shed in weight, if it shed any at all, im pretty sure the F-150 is also the heaviest half-ton out there

the F-150 will still be the best TRUCK out there, however it won't be the best DRAG RACER out there

According to the link above, the truck dropped 100 lbs because of an improved frame.

I like having steering wheel controls. I don't even need to look anywhere when using them. Also, I can keep my hands on the steering wheel when using them.

Steering wheel controls are very nice to have, especially for the radio/CD. Both of mine have them, but the Dodge has more control over all the radio features with twin toggle switches on either side of the back of the steering wheel in the 10 and 2 position. They fall right at the fingertips. The control on the CV is on the front of the wheel. Convenient, but not quite as much.

Anyone know if the FX2 will be available again on the XLT model?

That's interesting, I just realized that wasn't in the models listed.

I would think they would continue it, since they just came out with it. I know I see quite a few near me. Maybe it will be similar to the Harley, where it debuts a year after the truck's original debut.

That's interesting, I just realized that wasn't in the models listed.

I would think they would continue it, since they just came out with it. I know I see quite a few near me. Maybe it will be similar to the Harley, where it debuts a year after the truck's original debut.

Officially, it never was a separate model. It's on the option list as the FX2 Sport Package for the XLT.

Officially, it never was a separate model. It's on the option list as the FX2 Sport Package for the XLT.

That's strange.

I say that because at the same time, the Harley-Davidson and King Ranch models are technically option packages on the Lariat model, yet they are listed as separate models in most places.

Oh my God....

Well now we know it's chances just got worse with that monstronsity of a grill, it looks like the Focus design crew got their hands on it! The truck overall looks the same, but different shaped headlights and the fugly Super Duty like grill. It even has some straight out of the 80's GM rubber trim strip along the sides, and the tails appear to have ghetto chrome in them.

Fire the entire Ford design staff..

No ,see the SD grill I hated because it was "too bold" or "too in-your-face".

This, this is not half bad. It blends well with the truck. Kind of.