Where was J Mays?

JagXFRGuy

Ford should give his contract to Tata and let him design Jaguars. He sucks and so does Jaguar, they're a perfect fit.

Look at all the concepts that were done under his watch, and then look at what ultimately came out.

He wasn't the problem, management was. It's not a coincidence only FNA didn't grow all these years.

Apparently he had to retrain most of the FNA design staff after his arrival... yes, things were that bad.

_1996-Lincoln-Sentinel.jpg

As a design editor, things improved a lot for all brands since his arrival, but cost-cutting and old thinkers ruled supreme at Dearborn.

He wasn't a mistake, Bill Ford Jr was.

Edited by pcsario

Didn't he pen the current Mustang (at least the concept before the current model, if not)?

No ! The guy who came up with the design is the son of a Vietnam immigrant. I can't remember his name.

Hopefully Jay is "packing his bags" ! If Flex is not a smash hit, he will be gone. (Personally I think the Flex stinks, but that is just me !)

No ! The guy who came up with the design is the son of a Vietnam immigrant. I can't remember his name.

Hopefully Jay is "packing his bags" ! If Flex is not a smash hit, he will be gone. (Personally I think the Flex stinks, but that is just me !)

Hau Thai Tang was the lead engineer on the Mustang but he was not the designer, and he's not exactly the son of Vietnamese immigrants so much as he is, himself, a Vietnamese immigrant.

You mean Hau-Tai-Tang or whatever his name is (who is now Ford of Brazil's president or something)?

You're right actually, my bad.

Didn't J Mays do the concept though? I seem to remember reading that somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mays designed cool concept cars like the 427. The 500 is what focus groups and engineering teams allowed to be produced. The 500 wasn't Mays' fault. The Fusion is a child of his original design process - and that only happened because Mark Fields intervened and allowed the design to be used on the car versus the 500's cues that came out of focus groups and engineering changes.

Let's place blame correctly, here.

• 3 weeks later...
Mays designed cool concept cars like the 427. The 500 is what focus groups and engineering teams allowed to be produced. The 500 wasn't Mays' fault. The Fusion is a child of his original design process - and that only happened because Mark Fields intervened and allowed the design to be used on the car versus the 500's cues that came out of focus groups and engineering changes.

Odd how the focus groups & engineering teams created a design that looks just like a swollen version of May's designs @ VW/Audi.

blame the focus groups.....design by commitee turns designers into "yes men".....