I'm Liking the Verve

J-150

Actually, one should compare the Fiesta to the Aveo, and ask why GM's B car looks so cotton-picking cheap?

I mean GM has all the engineering and design resources in Europe that Ford does, and like Ford, GM offers a European B car.

Why, then, did GM go all discount bargain bin on the Aveo?

I mean, frankly, NA engineers have about as much business working on a Fiesta sized vehicle as European engineers have working on a Super Duty. There is no institutional knowledge in either division for vehicles that are simply not a sizable part of their home market.

Quite obviously Ford Europe was necessary for the Fiesta.

The question is, where was GM's European unit when the Aveo was designed? Why was =that= fobbed off entirely on the Koreans @ Daewoo?

The Aveo isn't even in the same class as the Fiesta other than size, I've driven a new Aveo, and it isn't any better in any way over a 12 year old Geo, though I have no interest or knowledge of why GM made the turd, I can only guess it was just for CAFE reasons.

And if what you say is true, than FNA has no business working on the Focus (proven by the turd they cooked up), Ford should just build whatever FOE designs and engineers for us in their low cost plant and stick to larger vehicles and trucks. And it seems that is what will happen under Mulally. My biggest worry is that by the time we see the Fiesta here the design will have been copied, and everybody will think Ford did the copying (knowing how car-stupid the general public is). That or companies like Honda/Turdyota will step up their B-cars making the Fiesta nothing special by the time it arrives here, especially if the North American bean counters and fashionista hack design crew gets their hands on it..

Edited by Blueblood

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly. F NA engineers have no business touching anything beneath the F-150, Mustang or Panther replacements. That includes Ranger, Focus, Fiesta, Mondeo, and Falcon. If the Falcon replaced the Panther then let F Aus do the whole thing.

GM is capable of their own idiocy and shouldn't be used as a benchmark. It's just that "maximum bob" simple.

I mean, frankly, NA engineers have about as much business working on a Fiesta sized vehicle as European engineers have working on a Super Duty. There is no institutional knowledge in either division for vehicles that are simply not a sizable part of their home market.

Now you are starting to get it.

Actually, one should compare the Fiesta to the Aveo, and ask why GM's B car looks so cotton-picking cheap?

I mean GM has all the engineering and design resources in Europe that Ford does, and like Ford, GM offers a European B car.

Why, then, did GM go all discount bargain bin on the Aveo?

Quite obviously Ford Europe was necessary for the Fiesta.

The question is, where was GM's European unit when the Aveo was designed? Why was =that= fobbed off entirely on the Koreans @ Daewoo?

the detroit auto show had a opel Corsa on display.

take that for what it is worth.

And if what you say is true, than FNA has no business working on the Focus (proven by the turd they cooked up), Ford should just build whatever FOE designs and engineers for us in their low cost plant and stick to larger vehicles and trucks.

Meh. Up to a point, I agree with that.

Most of the engineering on the Focus, yes, should be done in the location with the best institutional knowledge.

However, it would be a mistake to give the engineers in Europe (who are no longer part of FoE, BTW), free rein over what becomes the next Focus. If it must sell in NA, it needs to have NA input. Granted that could be European engineers meeting with NA customers, but my guess is that Ford's NA based engineers are better at filtering NA customer input than their European counterparts.

Laugh at that assertion, and cite whatever recent Ford foible you want, but note that when Ford's NA engineers and designers are given different targets you get vehicles like the Flex & Edge.

So, first of all, Ford's European engineers no longer answer to Lewis Booth and are, structurally, no longer a part of Ford of Europe.

Secondly, the Focus and the Fusion will need extensive input from NA consumers, and that probably filtered through NA based engineers (who are on the same team as their European counterparts).

The end result, IMO, will by a car dynamically very similar to the current Fusion, and hopefully with as many visual hooks as the Fusion, but tied together with the Mondeo's overall cohesiveness.

Farley has a clue!

Quote:

“Ford’s small cars are loved in Europe and Americans love our European small cars,” says Jim Farley, Ford’s Group Vice President, Marketing and Communications. “Our global scale helps us develop and test products that we can bring to—and change—the North American market.”

sn't the Corsa on the same platform as the Aveo?

no.. it is not. at least not yet.

Farley has a clue!

Quote:

“Ford’s small cars are loved in Europe and Americans love our European small cars,” says Jim Farley, Ford’s Group Vice President, Marketing and Communications. “Our global scale helps us develop and test products that we can bring to—and change—the North American market.”

exactly !!

• 2 weeks later...
??????

verve_4_live_04.jpg

ford-mondeo-4p-lat.jpg

Again, squished Mondeo.

Same design language, different paintjobs.

Time to scrap plans to sell the Verve in NA, won't be liked by Americans according to RJ's logic. :(

UMMM What I think the Verve will do great in the NA market. Have you noticed that the verve doesn't look like an old persons car. Ford is trying to get to the younger crowd now. And plus the car isn't "Boxy" witch Ford has a reputation of doing. I give support to Ford For selling this car in the US (Witch I believe will be in the 09-10 model year.)

• 2 weeks later...
Don't waste your breath. "I'm wrong" is not part of his vocabulary.

this verve is fine no matter if it is a squished mondeo!!! but this time give it two hundred and fifty horses i,ve owned a few focus,s and that 147 hp powerplant is anemic to say the least don,t put a rubbish motor in this hot little body and expect us to love it!!! look how they wrecked the focus new skin is nice but same old stodgy four banger. oh why can,t ford ever get it right for once !

this verve is fine no matter if it is a squished mondeo!!! but this time give it two hundred and fifty horses i,ve owned a few focus,s and that 147 hp powerplant is anemic to say the least don,t put a rubbish motor in this hot little body and expect us to love it!!! look how they wrecked the focus new skin is nice but same old stodgy four banger. oh why can,t ford ever get it right for once !

AAAMMMEENNN to that.

• 3 weeks later...