Ford confirms global Falcon link

jpd80

Of course I do.

What I'm most intrigued by is Ford getting a platform that is RWD with AWD capability. Considering how we just had snow and ice here in Maryland, that's a very good thing that goes beyond just performance.

Like most AWD optional vehicles, there is a fuel economy penalty.

Maybe computer controlled freewheeling hubs are needed to overcome drivetrain losses.

It will certainly take something novel.

Maybe computer controlled freewheeling hubs are needed to overcome drivetrain losses.

It's quite possible. I don't know how Cadillac does it with its Sigma vehicles (CTS and STS), but their fuel economy numbers are identical when comparing RWD with AWD. They're the only ones I know of which have identical numbers (BMW 535xi loses 1 mpg highway; MB and VW/Audi all drop).

Whatever it is, if Ford can pull it off, it would be absolutely great.

Ford Australia actually developed the Territory in 2003 as a local replacement for the Explorer.

In uniting the Falcon, Territory and Mustang under one platform, moving to common powertrains,

suspensions and electrical systems is the key. Folding metal is considered unique to the derivative.

The big push is to corporatise the Falcon/Territory and remove the quirky stuff like the Inline 6

that's perculiar to Australia. This year, the new Falcon's building process changes to align closer

to the NA Mustang with the use of single side pressings. The new stamping press at Geelong can

do single side pressings for Falcon sedan, station wagon, Utility, Territory and C2 Focus (2011).

The stamping dyes can be changed over in 4 minutes flat!!! (Right hand Drive Mustang?)

As the Falcon/Territory platform migrates in that direction, I'd expect that the Mustang would

begin to adopt the excellent Falcon front and rear suspension modules. This would be a super

cheap way to pick up state of the art IRS and Virtual Pivot front suspension for even better handling.

The final changes would be electrical systems and a common floorpan and frame - something

everyone can use. I would see this as the New 2012MY platform, even though intermediate

designs between then and now will have striking similarities.

Evolving separate vehicles onto a common platform?

Sounds like a plan to me.

I'm sure you know this, you may have just used it as an example of what's already being done, but Austrailia's I6 is already being phased out. I believe it's being replaced by our 3.5, IIRC.

I'm sure you know this, you may have just used it as an example of what's already being done, but Austrailia's I6 is already being phased out. I believe it's being replaced by our 3.5, IIRC.

Not for another 2 years as mid 2010 is the dead line for all pre July 2008 models to comply with Euro IV.

Orion Falocn will be ushered in just before the cut off to ensure the I-6 continues until July 2010.

FoA are looking at the 3.7 DI and Ecoboost 35 after that time.

By not modifying the I-6 (with an alloy block) to meet the regs, Ford will save $2,000/engine.

That is a compelling argument and, 300 of the 600 employees will be shifted from Geelong Engine

across to the Stamping plant as part of C2 Focus program.

Understood. But I see an AWD Mustang being a limited edition. Something for bragging rights. Probably not sold in enough quantity to affect CAFE totals

Not for another 2 years as mid 2010 is the dead line for all pre July 2008 models to comply with Euro IV.

Orion Falocn will be ushered in just before the cut off to ensure the I-6 continues until July 2010.

FoA are looking at the 3.7 DI and Ecoboost 35 after that time.

By not modifying the I-6 (with an alloy block) to meet the regs, Ford will save $2,000/engine.

That is a compelling argument and, 300 of the 600 employees will be shifted from Geelong Engine

across to the Stamping plant as part of C2 Focus program.

So the new Falcon will still get the I6? I thought the new Falcon was to get the 3.5 from launch. Interesting....

So the new Falcon will still get the I6? I thought the new Falcon was to get the 3.5 from launch. Interesting....

That's right, the Inline 6 is back until 2010 mid cycle refresh.

2102 for us is the all new Falcon.

Edited by jpd80

I wonder if Ford plans on having the Dagenham 3.2 I6 built for the Australian market Falcon....could the 3.2 I6 benefit from EcoBoost technology and be used in a "north -south" layout?? Just thinking out loud here.....

Posted Today, 03:30 AM

QUOTE(rmc523 @ Jan 21 2008, 05:21 AM) *

That's right, the Inline 6 is back until 2010 mid cycle refresh.

2102 for us is the all new Falcon.

you guys have long model cycles huh....lol.

Well.....if the Panther Mafia has their way...thats how long Panther would be around for.... :hysterical: :hysterical:

Edited by twintornados

Well.....if the Panther Mafia has their way...thats how long Panther would be around for.... :hysterical: :hysterical:

Falcon is a bit different to North American Platforms, it reinvents itself every seven years or so.

This time around, it gets an all new top hat but the existing floor pan from the firewall back is retained.

Forward of the bulkhead, the Falcon receives Territory's virtual pivot front suspension and front mounted steering rack.

At 2010 which is is about mid cycle, the Falcon switches to the corporate V6 engines for the final run to 2012/2013.

Well, that's the plan anyway, so looks like any North American RWD before then will have limited or no AUS input at all.

Totally depends on what Ford wants to do with the panthers, ball is in their court.

Edited by jpd80

They only started making it at Bridgend in 2006 - for Land Rover (?)

I've heard it an expensive engine reserved for Volvo, Land Rover and maybe upper level Euro Fords.

SI6 fits where the I5 does so Ford C1 & EUCDs like Focus, Mondeo, C-Max and S-Max could use but very unlikely.

Nice engine but Ford is heading towards Duratec I-4, V6 and Ecoboost engines.

They only started making it at Bridgend in 2006 - for Land Rover (?)

I've heard it an expensive engine reserved for Volvo, Land Rover and maybe upper level Euro Fords.

SI6 fits where the I5 does so Ford C1 & EUCDs like Focus, Mondeo, C-Max and S-Max could use but very unlikely.

Nice engine but Ford is heading towards Duratec I-4, V6 and Ecoboost engines.

the 3.2L SI6 was a cleansheet design. They never built it anywhere else.

• 2 months later...