Ford already thinking about more aerodynamic F-150

P71_CrownVic

It's just the gist of it, focus on the profile instead.

I did this with Paint:

Yeah, I don't really completely disagree with the concept of it. I mentioned something not too long ago about the more aerodynamically influenced Chevy Cheyenne concept too. I think it's eventually going to head in that general direction. I just don't think anyone has figured out how to proportion things without making it ugly as hell or we probably would be there already.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "giant front" of all of today's full-size pickups seems to make engine access more difficult, compared to, say, 80's full-size pickups. I don't own one, but that's the way it looks.

No question. The reach-over height to get into the engine bay is higher, and the engine sitting back in the bay further than they used to means the rear cylinders are usually well beneath the cowl. I haven't looked under the hood too closely on any really recent models, but the 5.4 in my brother's '01 F-150 looks like it would be a nightmare to do major work on.

I can sit in the engine bay on my '78 and work on it theres so much space. My dad has a '95 pickup and its still pretty roomy in there. The '00 f150 was terrible to work on, superduties are pretty bad too, though I haven't been under the hood much on them at all.

I wonder if theres anyway to direct airflow so that it passes over the engine/radiators and then flows under the truck (kind like a formula 1 car) without it costing a fortune. Skid/splash plates underneath can help too. There's a lot of different things that can be done to get the fuel economy up, but none of them by their selves make too much difference I don't think.

I wonder if theres anyway to direct airflow so that it passes over the engine/radiators and then flows under the truck (kind like a formula 1 car) without it costing a fortune. Skid/splash plates underneath can help too. There's a lot of different things that can be done to get the fuel economy up, but none of them by their selves make too much difference I don't think.

Ford engineered a lot of what you're talking about into the 1996 Taurus. The underside is pretty much flat, especially in comparison to other vehicles at the time. Gaps in body panels such as the hood to front bumper were sealed to improve airflow, and there were a few other little neat tricks I don't recall anymore that they used to better manage airflow. Quite an engineering exercise. Unfortunately at the time it resulted in one fugly car.

Ford engineered a lot of what you're talking about into the 1996 Taurus. The underside is pretty much flat, especially in comparison to other vehicles at the time. Gaps in body panels such as the hood to front bumper were sealed to improve airflow, and there were a few other little neat tricks I don't recall anymore that they used to better manage airflow. Quite an engineering exercise. Unfortunately at the time it resulted in one fugly car.

that cough, cough...we couldn't keep on the lots....sigh, those were the days.....

My parents had one of those, it was a pretty nice car. At the time I thought it was cool looking. Now when I look at them i think "what were they thinking?". Had the sable version of the latest generation Taurus too (before the 500 Taurus), was decently reliable, very comfy and pretty quick.

The "giant front" of all of today's full-size pickups seems to make engine access more difficult, compared to, say, 80's full-size pickups. I don't own one, but that's the way it looks.

Im not sure, but I think the 09 F150 grill is attached to the hood so it lifts up with the hood when the hoods opened.

of coarse it can be done. look at the '97-'03 F150s.

I also think that is was one of the big reasons for separating the superduties completely, they wouldn't have been able to cool them with the base F150 front end back then (among other things).

And yes, the last two spark plugs were well under the dash board and a nightmare to get to on my '97 4.6L 4X4

Isn't that Dodge above based off the Caravan?

Edited by BigBadBflo

No question. The reach-over height to get into the engine bay is higher, and the engine sitting back in the bay further than they used to means the rear cylinders are usually well beneath the cowl. I haven't looked under the hood too closely on any really recent models, but the 5.4 in my brother's '01 F-150 looks like it would be a nightmare to do major work on.

For a while there GM would love to do that with cars, changing plugs on a f-150 isnt bad, all nice and in a row on top. Do plugs on a camaro or caprice where half the engine is under the dash and the plugs are sticking out the side of the heads.

Im not sure, but I think the 09 F150 grill is attached to the hood so it lifts up with the hood when the hoods opened.

THE 04+ truck have the grille attached to the hood, the 97-03 do not, i would suspect the 09+ would retain this feature but im not sure since they have made it quite a bit bigger

For a more Aerodynamic F150, just clamp one of these over the bed of the truck. It has been wind tunnel tested in one of the NASCAR wind tunnels in North Carolina. The aerodynamic cap achieves a 20% increase in fuel efficiency during highway travel, proven out in ten months of road tests.

IMO, it's ugly, but it does serve a purpose. No offense if that's your truck.

I was going to say, wouldn't making the underside flat help out some?

IMO, it's ugly, but it does serve a purpose. No offense if that's your truck.

No offense taken rmc523. The looks of it do take some getting used to. It is more functional than aesthetic. I think Captainp4 is talking about the conventional camper shell with the hatch in the back. This large area of the hatch plus the tailgate ending abruptly at the rear of the truck creates poor aerodynamics. Driving with a conventional camper shell or cap on your pickup is worse for fuel efficiency than driving around with nothing covering the bed of the truck at all.

The aerodynamic truck cap I have developed targets those who like camper shells to camp in or haul cargo. The aerodynamic cap allows them the utilitarian aspects of the camper shell while providing superior aerodynamics, while driven in the fast back position. The aerodynamic cap is an aftermarket product which will increase the fuel efficiency of any pickup truck.

I worked as a clay modeler in the Ford California studio in Valencia back in the 1980's. I learned the old ways of clay modeling before the age of the 5-axis mill. We did the 1992 Econoline Van back in 1986, 22 years ago. That body is still produced for 2008 with the exception of the new grille work.

My resolve to get the aero cap to market is bolstered by knowing our country has to reduce the reliance we have on foriegn oil supplies. The survival of Ford Motor Company is also crucial to our country. I have an old postcard with a picture of a B-24 bomber on one side and the Ford logo on the other side. We have to stop losing manufacturing jobs in this country or , I feel, our national security will be compromised. By building these aerodynamic caps, which reduce fuel consumption and create manufacturing jobs in the process, I hope I am contributing to the cause.

post-30414-1201356849_thumb.jpg

No offense taken rmc523. The looks of it do take some getting used to. It is more functional than aesthetic. I think Captainp4 is talking about the conventional camper shell with the hatch in the back. This large area of the hatch plus the tailgate ending abruptly at the rear of the truck creates poor aerodynamics. Driving with a conventional camper shell or cap on your pickup is worse for fuel efficiency than driving around with nothing covering the bed of the truck at all.

The aerodynamic truck cap I have developed targets those who like camper shells to camp in or haul cargo. The aerodynamic cap allows them the utilitarian aspects of the camper shell while providing superior aerodynamics, while driven in the fast back position. The aerodynamic cap is an aftermarket product which will increase the fuel efficiency of any pickup truck.

I worked as a clay modeler in the Ford California studio in Valencia back in the 1980's. I learned the old ways of clay modeling before the age of the 5-axis mill. We did the 1992 Econoline Van back in 1986, 22 years ago. That body is still produced for 2008 with the exception of the new grille work.

My resolve to get the aero cap to market is bolstered by knowing our country has to reduce the reliance we have on foriegn oil supplies. The survival of Ford Motor Company is also crucial to our country. I have an old postcard with a picture of a B-24 bomber on one side and the Ford logo on the other side. We have to stop losing manufacturing jobs in this country or , I feel, our national security will be compromised. By building these aerodynamic caps, which reduce fuel consumption and create manufacturing jobs in the process, I hope I am contributing to the cause.

I think that's really cool, I'd be interested in other stories you have from working at Ford if you have em..

I've been thinking some sort of cone shaped thing to go onto the tailgates of trucks would also help with FE, but that would look pretty weird, maybe there's a way to make the plastic clear so it's virtually invisible.. :shades:

Just wondered do you use LPG a lot in the States we have 1200 outlets in the UK, and is it cheaper than diesel in the US? Lots of folk with big diesel 4x4 SUV's are having LPG conversions done and are cutting their fuel bills by up to 60%. Does the F-150 come with a LPG option? Plus diesels are already 30% more fuel fuel efficient gasoline engines it would all add up to big savings for the owner.

http://www.ilovesponge.com/spongecars/diesel/diesel.htm

LPG is the cheapest fuel in the UK

UK Petrol Prices for

Unleaded:114.9p

Diesel:119.9p

LRP:112.9p

Super:120.9p

LPG:59.9p

http://www.petrolprices.com/

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

Just wondered do you use LPG a lot in the States we have 1200 outlets in the UK, and is it cheaper than diesel in the US? Lots of folk with big diesel 4x4 SUV's are having LPG conversions done and are cutting their fuel bills by up to 60%. Does the F-150 come with a LPG option? Plus diesels are already 30% more fuel fuel efficient gasoline engines it would all add up to big savings for the owner.

http://www.ilovesponge.com/spongecars/diesel/diesel.htm

LPG is the cheapest fuel in the UK

UK Petrol Prices for

Unleaded:114.9p

Diesel:119.9p

LRP:112.9p

Super:120.9p

LPG:59.9p

http://www.petrolprices.com/

Ford used to offer CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) and Propane (LPG) "dual fuel" F-150s from the factory basically for fleet vehicles, but I think they are no longer an option. Propane has higher BTUs than gasoline, but those using it are pretty much limited to getting it at the same places where they refill their barbeque gas cylinders, and those places charge more than gasoline, even without road tax. I'd be interested in how a "big diesel 4X4 SUV" could be converted to run on LPG--they can use Propane as a power enhancer, but how do you substitute Propane for high pressure oil; and if so, at what cost?