Ford Was the Biggest Loser in Retail Sales in 2007

mlhm5

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sales numbers prove you wrong.

not really my point...not a lot of excitement in the segment and Fusion came into a segment that was already pretty well established with people quite familiar with mediocrity whom don't like to order something a little different on the menu....even if the Fusion had come in guns blazing, set ALL sorts of rants in mags, there is still a HUGE % of Camry owners quite content with not deviating from their comfort zone....I doubt ANYONE could knock Toyota off of the pedestal irrespective if the product was superior....the camry is Toyotas F-150....manufacturers will try, take a few conquest sales but never reach the same levels of market domination....me I'll waive the Pad Thai and try the scorpion please.....

Edited by Deanh

It should be. This topic is about retail sales, is it not? No sales, no company.

the Fusions not a bad effort has its weakness's like all the contenders, but it will always be lurking in Godzillas shadow unless something dramatic happens...and a majority of the public comes to the midsize market with pre-conceived ideas that are difficult if not impossible to change, note the denial on some of the Tundra threads...driven em all, fusion is fully comparable, each vehicle has their sucess's and failures...Fords weakness in the segment is overcoming the overwhelming amounts of preconceptions......course a little excitement wouldn't hurt would it...

And by what standards is it not a success? It exceeds expected numbers and turns a profit. Customers like it, its among if not the most reliable car in class-what's the problem again?

The Fusion could be improved in several areas lets face it, but regardless....you wont hear anything positive from our adversary....ever.....improvements to the Fusion are coming, they will no doubt boost sales ( although with the state of the economy who really knows ) and a step up the ladder may happen, BUT as I said...I doubt ANY manufacturer has a shot at knocking toyota off of the mantle, may chink away at the armour , but thats about it.....unless of course Toyota REALLY blows it somehow ( styling perhaps ) in which case the loyalty may wane....

Edited by Deanh

8700 troll postings....the Ever Ready Bunny of discontent

Not all of my posts are/were negative. My posts on the board that was lost were downright cheery.

Watching the company you work for, and love, go down the tubes without a fight can do strange things to you.

Ford has enough cash, at its current burn rate to last until 2009. The sale of Jag and LR will extend that date by a year or two, however with a recession on its way for 2008-09, Ford will not emerge any stronger than it is today because of its structured cost and economies of scale position v. GM and Toyota.

Prove it. Lay out all the detailed numbers and projections to prove you have a FUCKING clue you know what you're talking about.

That's what I thought...

:hysterical:

without a fight

Or: 'do what you don't agree with'

As in:

1) buy out UAW employees instead of selling cars to rental lots to fill capacity

2) assemble mainstream products in Mexico

3) de-emphasize performance to focus on practicality

4) accept that they have lost all pricing power in the market and focus on value

5) accept that the days of union manufacturing of many Tier 1 components is drawing to a close.

etc.

In other words: 'start seeing things the way they really are' instead of the way they should be.

Not all of my posts are/were negative. My posts on the board that was lost were downright cheery.

Watching the company you work for, and love, go down the tubes without a fight can do strange things to you.

That's where I disagree. Ford is fighting on several fronts: quality is up (Consumer Reports named nine (of 14)Fords as "Recommended" they've been very impressed by the Fusion's reliability, especially for a sophomore effort, costs are down. New and exciting products are coming....soon. Plus many will be refreshed.

It's a quiet fight, done by perseverence. Since 2005 I think Ford has been doing well, silently rebuilding the company.

It's a quiet fight

But it shouldn't be. Ford should be screaming at the tops of it's lungs about it's new products and quality awards.

Case in point.

My wife's best friend leases a Tribute. She tells me that she is looking to replace it with a car because she doesn't really need the SUV. I ask her what she is planning on buying. Out come the usual suspects.

Accord

Civic

Camry

Altima

I ask her about Ford. She says she hasn't even looked because she didn't know what they had. I tell her to go see my dealer and give her my name, and let her know I can giver her an X-plan PIN. I was hoping she would get a new Focus, but she test drove an '07 V6 Fusion and she absolutely loves it. The dealer is looking for one at this very moment with the color/options she wants.

That's right, folks. I helped sell a Fusion. Not only that, I am going against my own rules and giving her a PIN for a Mexican produced car.

She made one statement to me that sticks in my mind. "Why doesn't Ford advertise this car? If I hadn't gone to the dealer, I would have never known Ford made a car like this."

Saw a Fusion ad on House Tuesday night.

The problem with "Why doesn't Ford advertise this car" is the exact reason why the Fusion ain't gonna go from 0-60 overnight, regardless of how good it is.

TOMA.

The Camry, Civic, etc. have it, the Fusion doesn't.

When people that don't think of the Fusion, or other products, off the top of their heads, are told about these products, they invariably say, "why doesn't company X advertise product Y?"

Fact is, company X does advertise product Y, but it takes some time (years, in fact) of consistent advertising to get to the point where people stop saying, "Why doesn't company X advertise product Y?" and more or less forget that they even see advertising for it at all.

Your wife's best friend probably couldn't describe the last Camry commercial she saw, or the last Accord commercial. Likewise, she can't describe the last Fusion commercial she saw. However, because the Fusion's the 'new kid on the block', that lack of recollection hurts them.

Advertising is a crazy business.

Edited by RichardJensen

Or: 'do what you don't agree with'

As in:

1) buy out UAW employees instead of selling cars to rental lots to fill capacity

Agree

2) assemble mainstream products in Mexico

Disagree

3) de-emphasize performance to focus on practicality

Agree

4) accept that they have lost all pricing power in the market and focus on value

Agree

5) accept that the days of union manufacturing of many Tier 1 components is drawing to a close.

Agree

Today, however, the people who are 30 are not purchasing domestic vehicles in the same percentage as the 50 year old's "cohort group". This means that in the long run much lower sales.

Thank good Mulally does not have a marketing background. The best way to ensure business from the 30 something crowd, provided you have attractive offerings, is to hook and reel them in before they get there. Dump SYNC in every Focus, Mustang, Fusion, and Escape out there. Those, at present time, are Ford's more youth oriented vehicles. Win them over at 23 to ensure their next purchase is yours.

You really don't have a clue.

Ford profit in overseas markets, while significant right now, is not only sustainable, but is going to grow.

Why? Because the same ineptitude that almost destroyed Ford US almost destroyed Ford EU back in the 80's and 90's. Like Ford US, Ford EU has been overhauled from near-collapse, and is still being overhauled, to reacquire a "stronger base customer" so that sales will not "typically fluctuate as much in hard times". And judging by sales reports, Ford EU seems to be on the right path.

Adding to Ford profit in overseas markets, while significant right now, is Ford's expansion into Russia and Eastern Europe, in countries like Romania, plus Ford South America is on a roll, as is Ford Thailand and Ford OZ and Ford South Africa. Then there's Ford in China.

And the growth in sales and profits continues.

Thanks for playing, please try harder next time.

bslogo1.jpg

I dunno about Ford OZ. It always seems to be doing poorly. Maybe wit the new global platform they'll do ok.

Oh I say a Laser today in Osaka btw.