Ford halo car

rmc523

I was thinking.....when do you guys think would be an appropriate time for Ford to debut a new halo car for the brand?

I think within the next few years would be appropriate, since Ford will have a new, updated, and modern product lineup that a halo car could truly support. The halo car would draw people's attention to the new Ford and then could spur sales of Ford's revamped lineup.

That brings up the next question......what should the halo car look like? Should it be a GT type vehicle, or a GR-1 type design?

I think the GR-1 is current enough that it could do well still.

Ford-Shelby-GR-1-Concept-FA-1280x960.jpg

2005_Ford_Shelby_GR1_Concept.jpg

fordshelby.jpg

----------

ford%20gt.jpg

DSC06955.JPG

05_FordGT_Wallpaper.jpg

Edited by rmc523

Honestly, I'd rather they not bother with one. I don't know how much the GT or Viper or Corvette programs cost, but it must be a pretty penny. Money better spent on the new Focus, Avenger and Impala, IMO.

How about spending money on where the money is?

That being said... IF Ford must field such silly things... a new Thunderbird for my driveway would be lovely, thank you.

It doesn't have to be now. I was thinking more along the lines of several years down the road, when Ford and it's products and operations are more stable and profitable.

Now that has some potential. My personal preference is a little more understated, but put in a 6 speed manual, 300ish horsepower and a stout AWD system and I could overlook the flashier details. Keep 'em coming.

I did this a while ago, so if I were to do it today, it'd probably be a bit more tasteful/understated. I'm thinkin' EcoBoost 3.5 w/ 340-hp connected to a PowerShift, Manumatic transmission and AWD.

look i actually would like a halo car under the Thunderbird name, it will be as much as a base vette so people can still afford it to a degree.....we don't need another Ford GT

one thing though.....it should not be damn retro.....take the stylings from the GR-1, GT, XK, and DB9 and you would have a beautiful car

but i would much rather it wait until Ford has money to fund the product

Ford should do a very sharp, affordable Thunderbird and Cougar before ever even thinking about halo car like Ford GT and that price range. Thunderbird first and maybe a Cougar later if and when they make final decision about Mercury. Ford should always have a Thunderbird in its lineup and Ford should have done a concept this year for feedback on whether it will be popular.

Anybody who thinks that Ford should resurrect the Thunderbird, I have to question that idea. How many times will Ford resurrect and then kill the Bird? It's becoming a bit painful to me. I love the car, but it's almost as if the best looking Thunderbirds that inspire soul and passion never can make a good business case. Case in point: 1955-57 T-bird that, to me, are the best looking T-birds ever, were not very brisk sellers.

My feeling is that a halo car would work the same way. :(