Electroluminescence gauges are dangerous

UltimateX

Write me down as another Mazda6 owner who has never had a problem remembering to turn on my headlights. Heck, the difference in backlighting on the guages when the headlights are on and off is pretty noticable. Who the heck can't tell if their headlights aren't on anyway? Yeeesh. There's a big green light on the dash of the Mazda6 that tells you if they are.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surprisingly, that's usually not the case. My wife's LS has auto-lamps & -wipers. It's rare that the lights come on at the same time as the wipers. We usually have to turn on the lights manually.

The LS auto-headlamps were not very sensitive. Some people even put tinted cones over the sensor to get the lights to come on sooner/more often. My Fusion lights are much better and come on before I would turn them on manually.

The Fusion has a 10 second delay between the wipers going on and the headlamps coming on. This should absolutely be a standard feature just for safety reasons. And I'm not talking about YOUR safety but the safety of other drivers who can't see you.

The LS auto-headlamps were not very sensitive. Some people even put tinted cones over the sensor to get the lights to come on sooner/more often. My Fusion lights are much better and come on before I would turn them on manually.

The Fusion has a 10 second delay between the wipers going on and the headlamps coming on. This should absolutely be a standard feature just for safety reasons. And I'm not talking about YOUR safety but the safety of other drivers who can't see you.

I drive both my Fusion and my wife's LS on a regular basis and I can't say that I've noticed a difference in the sensitity of the auto-lamps. I'll have to pay closer attention from now on.

I drive both my Fusion and my wife's LS on a regular basis and I can't say that I've noticed a difference in the sensitity of the auto-lamps. I'll have to pay closer attention from now on.

What year LS? I was referring to the 00-02 models. I think they may have fixed that on the 03-06 models so they were more sensitive.

I don't know about you guys, but nowadays I simply always have my headlights on -- day or night. It's the second thing I do when I start the car, after seatbelts.

I don't. I'll put the parking lights (or sometimes full lights, if necessary) on on a cloudy day. When it's raining, I'll usually turn them all the way on.

I have been noticing a lot of cars driving around after dark lately with their headlights off. I live in a urban area with lots of street lights, so lights are more for being seen that for seeing. Inevitably they are either a Honda or a Toyota with the electroluminescence gauges. Usually I see a dark car drive by with a brilliantly light gauge cluster visible as they drive by. In the old days when the gauges were dark and hard to read, you turned on the lights.

These types of gauges seem to be more trouble than they are worth. They have to be actively lite in the day and when you are forced to turn on the headlights because of rain, the auto dim and become difficult to read.

Is it just me, or are these an answer to a question that nobody asked? At the very least automatic headlights should be requirement for these types of gauge clusters.

I wonder if this sort of design negligence could lead to some sort of legal action against those manufactures in the future.

If the automotive industry developed a system similar navigation systems & TCAS that is already fitted on aircraft, crashes might become a thing of the past. You will just punch in a Zip/Postal code and the car will drive you to your destination. But lights/TCAS manual overide mode will always be required as you say just to be seen by others good point.

But Ford are already there, it's nothing new in Europe.

I don't. I'll put the parking lights (or sometimes full lights, if necessary) on on a cloudy day. When it's raining, I'll usually turn them all the way on.

They are called "parking lights" for a reason. Don't drive around with only those on. In fact, in many states it is illegal to drive with just the parking lights on.

They are called "parking lights" for a reason. Don't drive around with only those on. In fact, in many states it is illegal to drive with just the parking lights on.

Let me ask you this then....what's the difference between "parking lights" and GM's "daytime running lights", which on many of the products (Cadillac CTS, STS, etc) was just an illuminated turn signal all the time, just like parking lights?

Usually, I turn them on to illuminate the guages, it's still light out and people are able to see me well, otherwise, as I said, I'd turn all the lights on.

If the automotive industry developed a system similar navigation systems & TCAS that is already fitted on aircraft, crashes might become a thing of the past. You will just punch in a Zip/Postal code and the car will drive you to your destination. But lights/TCAS manual overide mode will always be required as you say just to be seen by others good point.

But Ford are already there, it's nothing new in Europe.

I, Robot anybody? (cars driving themselves)

GM has issues with this "daytime driving lights" on the last generation trucks. If you notice, there's always one bulb out. I'm amazed NHTSA has pointed this out since it's considered a safety item.

I too am shocked when I see people driving without headlights. I dont care how lit up the street is, you HAVE to know that something ISN'T very bright as your driving in front of you.

GM has issues with this "daytime driving lights" on the last generation trucks. If you notice, there's always one bulb out. I'm amazed NHTSA has pointed this out since it's considered a safety item.

I too am shocked when I see people driving without headlights. I dont care how lit up the street is, you HAVE to know that something ISN'T very bright as your driving in front of you.

I've noticed that on the GM trucks as well.

Actually, I am guilty of once driving without my headlights on (but with running/parking lights on). It was in our old '99 M3 convertible.....I had stopped to pick up a friend at their house and turned the headlights off, but left the parking lights on (as to not disturb my friends parents inside) and didn't realize I had left the headlights off until we reached our destination. That said, I was driving in a well lit main road (Federal Hwy/US-1), so that's the main reason I didn't notice they were off. The car was a pre-automatic lights vehicle as well.

Let me ask you this then....what's the difference between "parking lights" and GM's "daytime running lights", which on many of the products (Cadillac CTS, STS, etc) was just an illuminated turn signal all the time, just like parking lights?

Usually, I turn them on to illuminate the guages, it's still light out and people are able to see me well, otherwise, as I said, I'd turn all the lights on.

Couldn't tell you, but I hate DRL's too. :hysterical:

I thought DRLs were always low intensity high beams?

I don't believe anyone (manufacturers) calls them "parking lights" anymore. They're "corner marker lamps" now. :)

In the Aviator at least, if you can drive at night with the lights off you must be half blind cause the dash is bright as hell and cannot be turned down cause its in daylight mode which again is hella bright (pun intended) Turn the lights on and it is much dimmer even in the "bright" position. I do not think we can save all idiots from themselves, at some point Darwin must be allowed to thin the population.

In the Aviator at least, if you can drive at night with the lights off you must be half blind cause the dash is bright as hell and cannot be turned down cause its in daylight mode which again is hella bright (pun intended) Turn the lights on and it is much dimmer even in the "bright" position. I do not think we can save all idiots from themselves, at some point Darwin must be allowed to thin the population.

There is so much light pollution in this area, you can see surprising well in the more commercial area, with all the street lights and parking lights. I miss being able to see the stars at night.

There is so much light pollution in this area, you can see surprising well in the more commercial area, with all the street lights and parking lights. I miss being able to see the stars at night.

Welcome to the Farm, sheeple... Now get back to your stall err living unit, no wait do they still call it a house?

lol

jk, all that light is for "saftey" so the cops can see you better to shoot you, or the criminals.

Same situation here in Fort Lauderdale....most cities are like that anymore.

You wanna see stars: go on a cruise, you can see millions if not billions of them.