Ford Lagging Behind GM, Chrysler and Toyota in NASCAR

mlhm5

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you Tom. Those 80s T-birds were great examples of how a car can still look like what is raced on the street. I wish NASCAR still did that, but no .. parity. Kinda stupid really.

This is another area I have issues with NASCAR in its current form. The continued aero refinement of the T-bird, starting in 1985 on through 1997, was the result of NASCAR competition. That was most likely one of the last true examples of race tech making its way into production cars from NASCAR.

This is another area I have issues with NASCAR in its current form. The continued aero refinement of the T-bird, starting in 1985 on through 1997, was the result of NASCAR competition. That was most likely one of the last true examples of race tech making its way into production cars from NASCAR.

my irk exactly...ZERO trickle down, ZERO benefits, ZERO anything to production vehicles....WORTHLESS....and COSTLY for manufacturers, money that could be put to better usage elsewher to actually BENEFIT car buyers....Nascar is just one big rotating sponsorship billboard with beer swizzling, obsessive, backy chewing, backwards cap wearing spectators....a true parallel to WWF....and for some reason its a demographic Ford/ Toyota/ Dodge/ Chevy embraces...to me THAT defies logic!

NO WAY!!! :redcard:

Honda has a victory in the last 2 seasons (Button 2006) and as an engine supplier Honda has 5 Driver Championships and I think 5 or 6 Constructor Championships.

stand corrected...( 1 victory in two years ...remember the race )want a small StarBux wager?....my bet Toyota does better than honda this year....man Toyaota sucked last year...biggest F1 budget and all....

stand corrected...( 1 victory in two years ...remember the race )want a small StarBux wager?....my bet Toyota does better than honda this year....man Toyaota sucked last year...biggest F1 budget and all....

Hmmm . . . might take that bet. :shades:

Toyota was 7pts better than Honda last season in the Constructor Points.

Hmmm . . . might take that bet. :shades:

Toyota was 7pts better than Honda last season in the Constructor Points.

they seem to be dramatically better this year...also supplying Williams...a dark horse....And they don't have drivers with names like Dick Trickle...NASCAR SUX! LOL!

they seem to be dramatically better this year...also supplying Williams...a dark horse....And they don't have drivers with names like Dick Trickle...NASCAR SUX! LOL!

Oh that reminds of a local newscast from several years ago. It was a young, new sportscaster who apparantely didn't know much about NASCAR. He started reading the race results and when he got to the name "Dick Trickle" he said "Are you kidding me?" and started laughing so hard he almost couldn't finish the sportscast. Too bad YouTube wasn't around then because it most assuredly would have ended up there.

Oh that reminds of a local newscast from several years ago. It was a young, new sportscaster who apparantely didn't know much about NASCAR. He started reading the race results and when he got to the name "Dick Trickle" he said "Are you kidding me?" and started laughing so hard he almost couldn't finish the sportscast. Too bad YouTube wasn't around then because it most assuredly would have ended up there.

FUNNY..off topic but along similar lines...had a foursome in a golf outing, two guys ( brothers )last names were, Beans, other last names were hamoond,and Frank...announcement at starting time...will the foursome Hammond Frank Bean and Beans please report to the starter....I for one lost it!....funny stuff....and who in their right mind with the last name Trickle name their kid Richard aka Dick????? MUST be a Nascar fan, thats all i can say...

NO WAY!!! :redcard:

Honda has a victory in the last 2 seasons (Button 2006) and as an engine supplier Honda has 5 Driver Championships and I think 5 or 6 Constructor Championships.

honda1965.jpg

Ritchie Ginther, GP of Mexico, 1965. Honda's 1st GP win. IIRC, the V-12 was sideways-mounted.

and who in their right mind with the last name Trickle name their kid Richard aka Dick????? MUST be a Nascar fan, thats all i can say...

Maybe he liked Cheech & Chong's "Peter Rooter" routine . . .

Oh, I've watched NASCAR races before. I don't follow it, but I will check them out from time to time.

You're missing the point though. Consumers already know what the F-150 is all about, if Ford vaguely advertised those trucks I doubt it would have the impact that you've alluded to. Ditto that with the Tundra. Everyone already knows that Ford can build a truck, heck most import buyers know that. This isn't about selling a truck, it's about getting car operations in line with the best of the market and getting a piece of the almost 1.4 million (Camry/Accord/Corolla/Civic) sales that Ford is missing out on.

Don't get me wrong, again I am not advocating that Ford pull out or half ass it with NASCAR. What I am saying is the supposed impact isn't anywhere near what some are trying to make it out to be. Classic blueovalforums sky is falling syndrome, per the usual.

I also wouldn't be too quick to call Toyota's entry into NASCAR a success....

I'd say that the difference between Tundra advertisements and F-150 advertisements is that the Tundra is introducing fans to the truck whereas the F-150 is reminding them that it exists.

Some may call NASCAR a sport, but it's really just a business. That currently works pretty well for most who are involved.

Fans still mostly fill up the grand stands, at least at most tracks, so it works for track owners. Plus their TV money.

It still works for the rich car pwners, who can sell sponsorships, pay costs, pay drivers, and still have a profit. At least the big teams. The cars are rolling bill boards.

It also works for the drivers....some of whom have become folk hero's, as they sell themselves for personal contracts, and huge salaries from car owners and car manufacturers.

It seems to work for the big sponsors, or they wouldn't continue year after year. They must believe they are getting their money's worth.

Then there are all the workers around the tracks etc.

It's way too complicated a business to describe in a few simple sentances. What makes it a success is that most everyone involved makes money or gets a return on their money. That's rare in a car racing series.

And I never mentioned a word about the quality of the racing or who's winning this week. It really doesn't matter as long as the show is good and competition is close. NASCAR will see to that. That's the business they are in.

Edited by Ralph Greene

my irk exactly...ZERO trickle down, ZERO benefits, ZERO anything to production vehicles....WORTHLESS....and COSTLY for manufacturers, money that could be put to better usage elsewher to actually BENEFIT car buyers....Nascar is just one big rotating sponsorship billboard with beer swizzling, obsessive, backy chewing, backwards cap wearing spectators....a true parallel to WWF....and for some reason its a demographic Ford/ Toyota/ Dodge/ Chevy embraces...to me THAT defies logic!

Hmmm are we still talking NASCAR or Inland Empire :hysterical:

• 2 weeks later...
"The Giants won't sack Brady"

Are we seeing the trend here in the originator of this thread??? :hysterical:

Yes, I think we are. Moreover, he said watch out for Toyota.

The only reason we had to watch out for Toyota today was because they were popping tires and running into walls. Tony Stewart had a particularly hard hit. I think I caused that wreck though. I think that he had low self confidence after my comments I sent Fox though. Fox has that new gopher cam naming contest and I emailed them and told them that they should name it Tony Stewart because only a dumb, fat Toyota driver would stupid enough to pop his head out of a hole when 43, 3400 lbs stock cars were racing above. :hysterical:

"After Ford’s dismal showing during Speedweeks at Daytona, it’s time for a Ford driver to stand up and make something happen. "

I think Carl Edwards' 2 consecutive wins and the top of the point standings would qualify. Don't you think so Mlhm5?

Hey, Ford wasn't even a factor at Daytona. Doesn't Ford know winning NASCAR races sells cars? You would have thought they already knew that, wouldn't you?

Ford was still in it to the last couple of laps of the Daytona 500 just before the last wrecks. But of course one race in to the season you have the foresight to declare Ford's (and Jack Roush's) efforts a total loss.

"What wins on Sunday, sells on Monday" may be an old saying but what wins on Sunday builds your brand.

Dodge comes in 1 and 2 and Nardelli goes into the garage and gives Newman a million dollar check while all 9 Ford drivers came in where?

Watch out for Toyota. They had more HP than anyone at Daytona and if you think Tony Stewart, Kyle Busch and Dave Blaney won't win a race this year, think again.

Carl Edwards has proven himself to be equal to the task.

Edited by Mark B. Morrow

so what's up, didn't mlhm5 respond?

Does this thread and mlhm5 win the BONer prediction of the month????

Does mlhm5 win TROLL of the MONTH ?

Either that or he forgot that Edwards, Biffle, and Kenseth are very formidable, competitive drivers. Particularly Kenseth who is a very smooth, consistent driver who is always in the hunt lurking back there somewhere. He doesn't win many races, but he is always up there in top 10. And Rousch gives them good cars to race. Give Edwards a good car and he will race for the lead and win a few races. Ditto for Biffle who will go for the lead if his car is working well. Those three are as good as anyone out there. And they are young and in their prime as drivers.