Ford Lagging Behind GM, Chrysler and Toyota in NASCAR

mlhm5

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last time I really cared about NASCAR was in the mid '80s when Bill Elliott was driving a car that had a passing resemblence to a T-Bird. I went to the Daytona 500 a couple of times while I was in college in Tampa. It was a hell of a great time.

I don't see how mlhm can say Ford wasn't a factor since there were 2 Fusions in the top 5 near the end of the race before the last wreck brought out the caution flag (I caught the last 20 minutes of the race while I was flipping channels). I'm just glad it was Dodge that won and not Toyota. When a Toyota takes the Cup, I'm done with NASCAR completely.

Edited by Mark B. Morrow

You guys are missing the point, but what's new about that?

All those people who attend and follow NASCAR, whether you consider them dumb rednecks or roundy-round nuts, all buy cars and trucks.

Think of it as Budweiser not advertising at sporting events.

You guys are missing the point, but what's new about that?

All those people who attend and follow NASCAR, whether you consider them dumb rednecks or roundy-round nuts, all buy cars and trucks.

Think of it as Budweiser not advertising at sporting events.

They buy cars and trucks? You don't say!! What we're telling you is that what brand of car that wins that race has little or no bearing whatsoever on the brand they end up buying.

I guess Toyota, Chrysler and GM did not get the memo.

personally I think Ford hits a broader market and a more diverse demographic with the new Knightrider show.....anyone with half a brain wouldn't base ANY buying decision on a car not even REMOTELY close to a production vehicle.....but they do serve wine now.....so I say pull out of the Circling Billboard commonly known as Nascar..

I guess all those guys that bought Ford trucks and cars weren't enough to stop Ford's slide into red ink. So what's your point? That's right you either never have one, or they don't make sense.

Unless someone proves through some sort of research that the wining driver's 'brand' is reaping rewards from NASCAR races, then I fail to see why it matters so much. If Ford were taking top spots in NASCAR you wouldn't have started a new thread, or you would have started the thread and whined about how Ford dumps too much money into NASCAR and too little into their basic product portfolio.

Quit being such a tool....

Edited by Michael Reynolds

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi...9,0,54117.story

Interesting quote from article:

Chrysler took a victory lap Monday, saying the win tells consumers that Dodge can build competitive cars and trucks for the street. But observers added that while there was certainly a lot of free advertising involved, the showroom adage of "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday" doesn't really play like it once did.

More fans are likely to remember that Newman won in the blue No. 12 car sponsored by Alltel Wireless than the fact that he drove an ersatz Dodge Charger that bears little resemblance to the production car NASCAR fans can buy, they said.

Jim Hossack, vice president of industry forecaster Auto Pacific, said when his firm asks consumers what they consider important when choosing a car, auto racing is near the bottom.

"Virtually no one says it's important. It's tiny, maybe 1 percent. You may get something out of it, but I'm not sure it's a whole lot," he said, adding that the impact may be greater among hard-core NASCAR fans.

Cars such as the Chevrolet Monte Carlo and Ford Thunderbird won dozens of NASCAR races, yet sales of their respective brands slipped to the point they were discontinued, noted marketing consultant John Bulcroft, head of The Advisory Group in Cresskill, N.J.

Edited by TomServo92

The last time I really cared about NASCAR was in the mid '80s when Bill Elliott was driving a car that had a passing resemblence to a T-Bird. I went to the Daytona 500 a couple of times while I was in college in Tampa. It was a hell of a great time.

I don't see how mlhm can say Ford wasn't a factor since there were 2 Fusions in the top 5 near the end of the race before the last wreck brought out the caution flag (I caught the last 20 minutes of the race while I was flipping channels). I'm just glad it was Dodge that won and not Toyota. When a Toyota takes the Cup, I'm done with NASCAR completely.

Mark, there is not a bigger Elliott fan on this board than me. Back in the 80's Bill put Ford back on the map in a sport dominated by GM. When Bill left to go to Dodge I was still just as big of a fan. Bill even drove some Chebbys along the way and I pulled for him. Im for the driver not the make. I have never understood such loyalty to one brand especially nowadays when they are all the same anyway. Now, deep down Im a Ford guy but still.........

You need to turn off your tv now because Toyota is going to win. You cant keep Gibbs racing out of victory lane no matter what make they run. When you go to Nascar races there are plenty of people who got there in a Toyota. The world is not going to come to an end when it happens. I have stated before that the rednecks in my area will probably jump off tall building or slit their wrists when Toyota wins. Some people will say they are done with nascar and they may be telling the truth. There are plenty of people that will still watch because they hate Toyota so bad. Thats what nascar is banking on imo.

They may as well call it IROC racing.

And IROC is officially dead. They are selling off all the assets as we speak (type).

The last time I really cared about NASCAR was in the mid '80s when Bill Elliott was driving a car that had a passing resemblence to a T-Bird.

Me too. The beginning of the end was when 1984, when Chevy was having a real hard time selling the Monte Carlo and winning. So they got Nascar to approved an oversized rear window, which became known as the MC aero coupe. That broke the homologation rules Nascar had had as Chevy never produced any for production. Then Chevy wanted to use the Lumina in '89 (FWD) that killed off any resemblance to "stock car" in their name .

I immediately lost all interest.

personally I think Ford hits a broader market and a more diverse demographic with the new Knightrider show.....anyone with half a brain wouldn't base ANY buying decision on a car not even REMOTELY close to a production vehicle.....but they do serve wine now.....so I say pull out of the Circling Billboard commonly known as Nascar..

So, when the Chevrolet Tahoe smashed into the side of the Mustang, and the Mustang didn't have a scratch on it :hysterical: , did you think to yourself, wow, I'll run out and get me one of those indestructible Mustangs?

I hesitate even replying to this thread since most people on this forum think I am a backwards idiot redneck (whose parents drive Jaguars - interesting picture there ..), but a few things to keep in mind:

1. Daytona doesn't mean anything. The best car rarely wins. Kyle Busch had the best car hands down with his Camry. He looked as if he 20 hp more than anybody else out there. Lost due to strategy.

2. Matt Kenseth and Greg Biffle (Ford drivers) were factors until Matt Kenseth got a lesson in Raganomics when Ragan's car bottomed out and he collected Matt Kenseth with him.

3. California this weekend. Matt Kenseth will be a factor.

Fords weren't slow at Daytona. Bad luck marred good finishes.

Dodge had like 6 of the top 10 positions or something ... yet hardly any of them ran well most of the day.

Edited by SVT_MAN

So, when the Chevrolet Tahoe smashed into the side of the Mustang, and the Mustang didn't have a scratch on it :hysterical: , did you think to yourself, wow, I'll run out and get me one of those indestructible Mustangs?

ahhh....but you admit it IS a Hasselhoff mustang, NOT a template with stickers with a non production drivetrain, chassis, engines and drive wheels.....and indestructible?....called side intrusion bars...LOL! i'm just saying it gets WAY more coverage and reaches a larger more important customer base AND if someone takes something like an indestructible car seriously they are at the Daytona beerstand watching all those RWD Camrys and Fusions.........I don't think ford, if they pulled out of Nascar would lose significant sales, especially of RWD Fusions.... .

And IROC is officially dead. They are selling off all the assets as we speak (type).

Me too. The beginning of the end was when 1984, when Chevy was having a real hard time selling the Monte Carlo and winning. So they got Nascar to approved an oversized rear window, which became known as the MC aero coupe. That broke the homologation rules Nascar had had as Chevy never produced any for production. Then Chevy wanted to use the Lumina in '89 (FWD) that killed off any resemblance to "stock car" in their name .

I immediately lost all interest.

Actually, GM did indeed make the bubble-back G-body in limited production:

stuff_134.jpg

(Sweet looking car if I may say so)

http://www.pontiacserver.com/gph3_9.html

I remember seeing those a couple times back in the day... but with less than 1200 of the Pontiacs built most people probably never saw one. I want to say there was a Monte 2+2 but am not certain. I've seen at least one in person in addition to photos of others, but those could have been conversions.

I do agree with what you're saying though. It only got worse with the FatBody Monte in 1995 - that started the whole new era of bitching and whining that led to the COT. Boo. FWIW the T-Bird was the last "true"/"almost stock" car that raced in Nascar - over 10 years ago.

Edited by goingincirclez

There are 75 million NASCAR fans and if you are in the automotive business those are the people you want to be talking to because those fans have a brand loyalty that trumps any other sport by an order of magnitude.

Furthermore, studies by the various automakers have shown that fans are more likely to buy sponsor cars and pickup trucks.

I'll bet GM's market share among NASCAR fans is 2X what it is among the general public.

There are 75 million NASCAR fans and if you are in the automotive business those are the people you want to be talking to because those fans have a brand loyalty that trumps any other sport by an order of magnitude.

Furthermore, studies by the various automakers have shown that fans are more likely to buy sponsor cars and pickup trucks.

I'll bet GM's market share among NASCAR fans is 2X what it is among the general public.

Yet how many of those fans drive Dodge's to the race? I still bet its no higher than the general population.

I bet many of the GM fans own Toyotas.

What about the people that show up in Audi's? Or Nissan's? Who will they root for? Lets wait for the G35 Stock car and the A6 Aeroback. VW and Nissan are obviously missing out. I mean, look at how much Toyota has to show for it. The Camry was never the #1 selling car in the US until they got into the Nascar gig.

I see you completely ignored this post from earlier in the thread.

thats why we sell so many RWD Fusions right? nascar brings NOTHING to the automotive market, 75 million fans?, where did that come from? I not doubting the number but I thought Americans were smarter than that. This is a form of racing that has a fantastic history but has become nothing more than a farce, that brings NOTHING to the table in the form of improvements, development, safety, chassis, drivetrain, economy or aerodynamics that trickle down to consumer product..zippo, nowt, NADA.......and I can't recall ONE customer ( mind you this is so cal...) either wearing daisy dukes or Levis and a bush shirt EVER coming in to purchase a vehicle based on Nascar...NONE!......