Ford Redesigns New Models

igor

Friday, February 22, 2008

Ford Redesigns New Models

New-for-2008 models will receive changes for the 2009 year

By Igor Holas

In 2008, Ford released several new models, but none of them were clean-sheet redesigns. Among those, the 2008 Focus, 2008 Escape (and siblings) and 2008 Econoline received a fair amount of criticism for carryover elements, or lacking updates. Ford is getting ready to address that criticism in a costly 2009 re-do of the 2008 launches.

The 2008 launches represent the last vehicles approved and developed before Mark Fields took over Ford of Americas in late 2005. Fields has had some input on these models, but could not order major changes without delaying the introduction schedule. As a result, Fields chose a two-step release of the changes. The originally-planned models were released in 2008, and major flaws addressed in 2009 changes.

MORE HERE: http://www.autosavant.net/2008/02/ford-red...new-models.html

Igor

If you do things right from the start, then you don't have to go over it once again soon after. Thats what I tell my contractor when his subs do not do things correctly from the get go...in this case, it comes out of HIS pocket. Ford mistakes come out of ours one way or another...

If you do things right from the start, then you don't have to go over it once again soon after. Thats what I tell my contractor when his subs do not do things correctly from the get go...in this case, it comes out of HIS pocket. Ford mistakes come out of ours one way or another...

Agreed but sometimes you inherit a mess from someone else that you have to clean up. I'm experiencing that right now in my job. I moved to a new position and inherited almost 4 decades of neglect and mismanagement. I'm currently developing a multi-year plan to right the ship and get it on a better course and put in processes that will keep it on course. The current Ford management team is facing much the same thing. Hopefully, this will be the LAST time they have to do it.

Until proven otherwise I'm willing to bet that sport model is short for "Sport Appearance Package."

the sport model, and optional engine mentions are speculations - there was some indication of them coming, but nothing confirmed yet.

Igor

Until proven otherwise I'm willing to bet that sport model is short for "Sport Appearance Package."

Not that a Sport Appearance Package is a bad thing either. It's usually not a very difficult sell and it's easy money in the bank for the manufacturer. It's not like Ford would be the only one doing it. I saw a Highlander "Sport" the other day. I couldn't tell what the heck was different about it other than the badge.

I would certainly PREFER a nice handling/performance package, but with that said, I still opted for a "Sport Package" on my Mazda6. Granted, as far as I know all of the hatches were "s" models, but I liked the details it added like the unique front/rear fascias and tinted headlights over those offered on the "i" models.

Not that a Sport Appearance Package is a bad thing either. It's usually not a very difficult sell and it's easy money in the bank for the manufacturer. It's not like Ford would be the only one doing it. I saw a Highlander "Sport" the other day. I couldn't tell what the heck was different about it other than the badge.

I would certainly PREFER a nice handling/performance package, but with that said, I still opted for a "Sport Package" on my Mazda6. Granted, as far as I know all of the hatches were "s" models, but I liked the details it added like the unique front/rear fascias and tinted headlights over those offered on the "i" models.

our owner ( at the age of 75ish ) drives one, 4 cyl, nicer wheels, firmer suspension and Blac Chrome...only ICK is the two tone interior, black leather with RED inserts...GOD I HATE TWO TONE SEATS!

GOD I HATE TWO TONE SEATS!

Beats a THREE TONE interior like my Mazda. The assembly quality and materials are there, but the leather and lower interior panels are one color, the upper door panels and upper dash cover are another, and the dash trim applique is yet another. And THEN throw silver trim on the console and doors in there. At least the three colors are all neutral tones.

I do agree on the seat thing though. The only two tone leather seats I've ever particularly liked are those from the 03-04 Cobras, and those just used grays instead of reds or blues. Bold contrasting on seats just looks kinda cheap, like you bought some craptastic seat covers at Pep Boys or something.

Beats a THREE TONE interior like my Mazda. The assembly quality and materials are there, but the leather and lower interior panels are one color, the upper door panels and upper dash cover are another, and the dash trim applique is yet another. And THEN throw silver trim on the console and doors in there. At least the three colors are all neutral tones.

I do agree on the seat thing though. The only two tone leather seats I've ever particularly liked are those from the 03-04 Cobras, and those just used grays instead of reds or blues. Bold contrasting on seats just looks kinda cheap, like you bought some craptastic seat covers at Pep Boys or something.

NOT subtle or classy in the least...I bet the Edge Sport will go the same route sad to say....even the EB Expeditions are available with the Liberache inserts...BLOODY AWFUL....stitching contrast ok, even SUBTLE piping...full inserts need to be left to the Funkmaster Flex versions....j

NOT subtle or classy in the least...I bet the Edge Sport will go the same route sad to say....even the EB Expeditions are available with the Liberache inserts...BLOODY AWFUL....stitching contrast ok, even SUBTLE piping...full inserts need to be left to the Funkmaster Flex versions....j

Add me to that list. I'm not a fan of black and read leather seats either. Instead of pissing the money away on that how about better side and seat bolstering.

What Ford deems a 'sport package' these days is the equivalent of an out of shape (insert gender here) in gym shorts/tank top/sweat bands sitting on the couch eating multiple Triple Whoppers w/cheese. Both look the part (in a round about way), and well that's about it.

Add me to that list. I'm not a fan of black and read leather seats either. Instead of pissing the money away on that how about better side and seat bolstering.

Well, to Ford's defense, I doubt it costs much of anything to order red leather instead of black from their supplier. That's why these "appearance packages" are so common amongst manufacturers. They cost next to nothing to produce while they can charge a pretty penny to the consumer who wants something different.

Well, to Ford's defense, I doubt it costs much of anything to order red leather instead of black from their supplier. That's why these "appearance packages" are so common amongst manufacturers. They cost next to nothing to produce while they can charge a pretty penny to the consumer who wants something different.

at least make it tasteful....next up shag floormats...

Well if they are going to attempt to up sell something, then make it worth the consumer's (and Ford's money). There are a lot of things that Ford could have done that wouldn't have cost much of to add to the vehicle. Items such as springs/shocks, an even better rear anti-sway bar and better brakes could have been added and made the proposition much more worthwhile.

Well if they are going to attempt to up sell something, then make it worth the consumer's (and Ford's money). There are a lot of things that Ford could have done that wouldn't have cost much of to add to the vehicle. Items such as springs/shocks, an even better rear anti-sway bar and better brakes could have been added and made the proposition much more worthwhile.

More changes, they'd charge even more for it. Like the example I used with my Mazda6. There is nothing in the Sport Package that changed the performance one bit, but I still wanted it. I simply thought it looked better and slightly more "exclusive". I also said that I would prefer a TRUE handling/performance package, but I certainly can't fault Ford for a visual-only package, as they certainly aren't the only ones who do it and it's pretty easy to understand why.

IIRC, there are spring changes.