Taurus and Taurus X top American Picks at CR

Mark B. Morrow

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. The Taurus did not replace the CV.

The Taurus replaced the Taurus.

The plan all along was to phase out the D101 Taurus in favor of the Five Hundred and Fusion. At the last minute, the Five Hundred was rechristened, not the "Crown Vic" but the "Taurus".

Only on BON could you find people arguing that a vehicle named "Taurus" was not intended to replace a vehicle named "Taurus".

The plan all along was to phase out the D101 Taurus in favor of the Five Hundred and Fusion. At the last minute, the Five Hundred was rechristened, not the "Crown Vic" but the "Taurus".

Only on BON could you find people arguing that a vehicle named "Taurus" was not intended to replace a vehicle named "Taurus".

So I guess there really can be TWO flagship sedans in a lineup and the fact that the 2008 Crown Vic went fleet only simultaneous to the debut of the 2008 Taurus is just a "fluke". freak7.gif

I'm talking about last year when Crown Victoria became fleet only.

If the Crown Victoria was still retail, it would spoil Taurus sales much worse than this month's 4,000 odd sales.

Edited by jpd80

In 2007, Crown Vic was sporting maybe a $2,000 rebate, vs. $5,000 on a Grand Marquis. Who would give up $3,000 just to get the Ford badging?

It was decided a few years ago when the Five Hundred came out that the Crown Vic would be withdrawn. The problem for Ford is most Panther buyers won't buy a Five Hundred, but like Oldsmobile, are leaving Ford entirely.

I do cut Ford some slack though, because who wants to buy many of either vehicle when gas is going to $4, and the economy is weakening? It wouldn't bother me because I do a lot of work on my Grand Marquis myself, and I'm very familiar with the vehicle. Most Americans, however, don't even know how to open the hood on their "lifestyle" vehicle.

So I guess there really can be TWO flagship sedans in a lineup and the fact that the 2008 Crown Vic went fleet only simultaneous to the debut of the 2008 Taurus is just a "fluke". freak7.gif

Gee. Your argument would mean so much if your use of the word 'flagship' was definitive.

But seeings how neither the 2007 Crown Vic nor the 2008 Taurus come with Admiral's quarters, the only literal, demonstrable, measurable, quantifiable (as opposed to figurative) meaning for the word 'flagship' does not apply to EITHER vehicle.

In 2007, Crown Vic was sporting maybe a $2,000 rebate, vs. $5,000 on a Grand Marquis. Who would give up $3,000 just to get the Ford badging?

It was decided a few years ago when the Five Hundred came out that the Crown Vic would be withdrawn. The problem for Ford is most Panther buyers won't buy a Five Hundred, but like Oldsmobile, are leaving Ford entirely.

You're silly.

Your first paragraph doesn't make any sense if your second paragraph does, and vice versa.

People would rather leave Ford entirely than buy a cheaper and better equipped Grand Marquis?

Paragraph one postulates that the Grand Marquis is a cheaper alternative. Paragraph two postulates that Ford customers were leaving entirely because they had NO alternative to the Crown Vic.

How could you replace the Taurus with a Taurus when there was no Taurus to replace?

If they wanted to replace the Taurus with the Taurus, then there would have had to be a Taurus in 2007. There was no Taurus in 2007, therefore the Taurus did not replace the Taurus.

Only on BON could the :cheerleader: not understand that very simple fact.

How could you replace the Taurus with a Taurus when there was no Taurus to replace?

If they wanted to replace the Taurus with the Taurus, then there would have had to be a Taurus in 2007. There was no Taurus in 2007, therefore the Taurus did not replace the Taurus.

Actually, there was a 2007 DN101 Taurus.

And so if there wasn't a 2007 (there was), moving to another vehicle, would that mean that the 2007 Sport Trac didn't replace the 2005?

Only from a :redcard: and negetard on BON.

Edited by suv_guy_19

Be careful...you guys might just overload P71s last two neurons with that much information to process...

2 huh...that means I am twice as smart as you!

I thought the Taurus was fleet only for '07. Oh well. The '08 Taurus was still not a replacement for the rental one. If it was...they would have just named the Five Hundred Taurus and not Five Hundred.

The name was dead...but big Al got a bug up his butt and made a bonehead decision to bring it back. It didn't work...sales are still down the crapper.

:hysterical:

2 huh...that means I am twice as smart as you!

That's funny.... I KNEW there was a 2007 Taurus and yet you weren't aware of that "simple fact" and you even opined on the matter despite a void in your knowledge on the subject.

As David Boorstin said:

The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance -- it is the illusion of knowledge.

:hysterical:

And now we're back to arguing that a vehicle named Taurus was not a replacement for a vehicle named Taurus.

Tinfoil hat alert!!!

tinfoil-hat.jpg

I'm confused, where does the Fivehundred fit in, wasn't that the replacement for the D101 Taurus?

Why can't you just keep the same name for 48 years.

Edited by jpd80

Gee. Your argument would mean so much if your use of the word 'flagship' was definitive.

But seeings how neither the 2007 Crown Vic nor the 2008 Taurus come with Admiral's quarters, the only literal, demonstrable, measurable, quantifiable (as opposed to figurative) meaning for the word 'flagship' does not apply to EITHER vehicle.

I thought the term "flagship" was REAL definitive in the "Year of the Car" campaign for the Five Hundread back in 2004-2005. The "term" flagship also seems to be real definitive this year in regards to the Taurus' sister car the MKtauruS for Lincoln.

I thought the term "flagship" was REAL definitive in the "Year of the Car" campaign for the Five Hundread back in 2004-2005. The "term" flagship also seems to be real definitive this year in regards to the Taurus' sister car the MKtauruS for Lincoln.

So what that the Taurus overtook the CV as the "flagship" - the company's best vehicle? It replaced the old Taurus as a large FWD sedan. It didn't replace the CV's place in the lineup - large RWD V8 service sedan.

Everyone knows they would have called the 500 the Taurus from the start, if they hadn't decided that it was infeasible to stop production of the old fleet taurus.

Edited by Noah Harbinger

So what that the Taurus overtook the CV as the "flagship" - the company's best vehicle? It replaced the old Taurus as a large FWD sedan. It didn't replace the CV's place in the lineup - large RWD V8 service sedan.

Everyone knows they would have called the 500 the Taurus from the start, if they hadn't decided that it was infeasible to stop production of the old fleet taurus.

Funny thing is, Ford NEVER intended to call the refresh of the Five Hundred, Taurus. It was a knee-jerk reaction to shitty sales...COMPLETELY last minute.

Thats the only way you can justify the '2008 Ford Five Hundred' press releases and the 2008 Ford Five Hundred press photos. Why go to all of that work when you are going to rename it?