Ford Moves Ahead with Plans to Build the MKT

Greenlighting comes only when they have finalized the production version which is still going infront of focus groups. That means they still have scheduling flexibility, but in either case, Greenlighting the Flex came VERY late in its development, same with the MKS. The MKS was not greenligt until 6 months after the concept was unveiled in Detroit.

No no you turkey. Greenlighting authorizes the project. The design is 'frozen' after the production version is finalized.

That's when all the specs are issued to suppliers and production is scheduled. It happens after pilot builds, etc. And designs are now =frozen= relatively close to launch due to flex tooling and computer aided manufacturing engineering.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are several steps that are covered in the product delivery process:

1. Funding approval once the vehicle has been developed.

2. Lock in of Hard Points - Initial orders are placed on long lead items.

3. Final clinic work to refine trim/fittings/small fixtures

4. Product Confirmation - everything is now locked in and remaining orders are placed with suppliers.

5. Field and reliability testing.

Edited by jpd80

I think 5 & 4 are flip-flopped....

I thought so but apparently the CPs are single runs through the factory

and used for the reliability testing from about 12 months before release.

Could be a little different in the USA though.

Edit,

Having said that, small changes are always happening right up to about 2-3 months before release

Edited by jpd80

In the US, there's a pilot plant in Dearborn where they build the prototypes and the pre-preproduction builds.

I saw a prototype 2009 F-150 on Hines Drive in Metro Detroit the other day. Something tells me we in Detroit will see the new Fusion running on Hines Drive long before Ford publicly shows it at L.A. Auto Show this November.

Yeah! Ford is going to invest in a niche vehicle instead of something practical! :happy feet:
How about designing a "people mover" that can move cargo with the people? :headscratch:

+1

Thanks for saying what I was thinking, iif myself or P71 had said it, we'd be the devil.

Anything less than third row seating with this turd is assinined.

Also keep in mind, according to the :cheerleader: 's on here, the LTC is a niche vehicle.

Edited by Armada Master

In the US, there's a pilot plant in Dearborn where they build the prototypes and the pre-preproduction builds.

Well, there you go.

Over here with lower production numbers/rates they can do it without much fuss.

Building pre-production models down the lines is not possible in the US and would cause all sorts of dramas.

Edited by jpd80

What's your definition of 'green-lit'. And why do you believe it hasn't been?

Lincoln needs more new product, the CUV market is the fastest growing market, and Ford has shown an MKT CUV, and an MKR concept car. Ford has talked about rebuilding Lincoln and is serious about bringing it back to previous glory. You can bet an MKT will be built as CUV market is growing, and Lincoln needs 7 passenger CUV to compete. The MKT is it. It's already been slated to be built along side the Flex at Oakville. I would say the MKR is strong possiblity also, but not in concrete yet like MKT.