Nissan to jump into comercial trucks

Bob Rosadini

Well Ford is about to get another challenger for its no. 1 spot in commercial trucks. Nissan is announcing a campaign to take on that segment featuring Cummins power and ZF transmissions. They have also hired Joe Castelli away from Ford to head up this venture.

With the formation of a commercial marketing group at Daimler- (Freightliner, Sterling, Fuso) this makes two brands looking to move onto Ford's turf. IMO, this is another reason why Ford can't afford to give up class 6 and 7. The commercial market is getting tougher and tougher, and unless you are able to cover all the bases, you make it that much easier for your competition to get his foot in the door as many customers don't want to be shopping around for their class 3,4,5's from one source while they go to another for their 6 and 7 needs. Sterling in particular is finally in the position where

Ford was before the class 8 sale in 97 and they can cover almost the entire spectrum.

Do these guys think it's that easy to build a heavy duty truck?

Sure they do, just buy an engine from Cummins and a transmission from ZF and — poof! Easy. Anybody can do it. Now, whether it will be a good truck, and whether it will sell, ah, those are the questions that time will answer.

What about Nissan UD Trucks - well known in the rest of the world for years.

LINK

No longer related to Nissan. Owned by Volvo Truck. It is true about Sterling. The new Dodge built Bullitt is aimed right at the 450 and 550. To make matters worse for Ford, Sterling dealers can't keep them on the lots. And since many Sterling dealers still sell Ford commercial trucks, the competition for Ford is right in the showroom.

And since many Sterling dealers still sell Ford commercial trucks, the competition for Ford is right in the showroom.

IMHO, this is an indication of an untenable market position over the long term. This is just a guess, but you might see the Mull do something about this. It will take time, unfortunately. But they could start small, and import the Transit, to backstop the E-series.

With Joe Castelli behind the wheel of this program, does Ford really have something to worry about?

OK, I gather you think he is a lightweight? Any examples? This however makes two names (Dave Tarrant the other who is now I believe heading up Navistars medium program) who have to have some long range product knowledge. Can't help Ford. And to those who infer Nissans are shitboxes, they may well be. But so were most far eastern products 25 years ago. As I have previously pointed out, Hino, owned by Toyota will make a serious challenge in class 6 and 7. And once Toyota builds up a bit more steam with the Tundra, what will it take to run that up to class 5 to meet Hino on the other end? This is a big segment for Ford. It is the reason for KTP's existance. My point is they had better wake up before another leadership segment (Ranger? RWD?) is pissed away.

Oh and back to your comment on Castelli, while he might be a genius, I have always felt in spite of their numbers, Ford has been half assed marketers when it comes to medium trucks. Look at Ford's commercial truck website and then look at the competition's. Ford talks about fluff (seat options!!) and the other guys talk truck specs!

Looks like Nissan is only going to class 3. As for Hino, they start at class 4. With Ford commercial truck executives jumping ship, does it mean Ford is leaving the market? Also, I am hearing that after the Topkick and Kodiak move to an International plant, the current medium GM duty line at Flint will be retooled to produce a class 4-5 truck based on the current GM full size light truck. And, it will be shared with International dealers. If that happens, International goes from class 3 to 8.

Edited by 7Mary3

Looks like Nissan is only going to class 3. As for Hino, they start at class 4. With Ford commercial truck executives jumping ship, does it mean Ford is leaving the market? Also, I am hearing that after the Topkick and Kodiak move to an International plant, the current medium GM duty line at Flint will be retooled to produce a class 4-5 truck based on the current GM full size light truck. And, it will be shared with International dealers. If that happens, International goes from class 3 to 8.

Hino is scary large out here in Japan. I think if Toyota got serious they could flood the US market with ease.

That being said the Mazda Bongo and such are pretty nice. I think Ford should get Mazda to get into the US commercial truck market. If they don't buy Ford, they can buy a Mazda. hat and they can both develop products for the US market. Meaning that maybe some might be sold in Japan as well. Helpng the marekt share in both places.

That being said the Mazda Bongo and such are pretty nice. I think Ford should get Mazda to get into the US commercial truck market. If they don't buy Ford, they can buy a Mazda. hat and they can both develop products for the US market. Meaning that maybe some might be sold in Japan as well. Helpng the marekt share in both places.

that idea has some merit

Wonder if Ford has considered a plan similar to that for their retail lineup? Several years ago, I know GM used to sell the Cavalier in Japan with a Toyota badge on it. How about a couple of Fords sold in Japan with Mazda badges on them? Wonder if that will get them around the tariff clauses or not.

Wonder if Ford has considered a plan similar to that for their retail lineup? Several years ago, I know GM used to sell the Cavalier in Japan with a Toyota badge on it. How about a couple of Fords sold in Japan with Mazda badges on them? Wonder if that will get them around the tariff clauses or not.

I think they should do that with some of the commercial trucks. As well as the Fiesta. I think a lot of young Japanese here will really jump on that. By young I mean 30 and under. If they made the cars for export in taiwan, it may work. As they do a lot of handshaking and winking with Taiwan. There is "foreign car" dealership in my town. They sell everything, from Ford/GM to BMW. But the car market here is imploding, so I think it's better to look out than in. Therefore I think Mazda should send some of their commercial vehicles to NA. As they may add another 20k in sales a year.

I think they should do that with some of the commercial trucks. As well as the Fiesta. I think a lot of young Japanese here will really jump on that. By young I mean 30 and under. If they made the cars for export in taiwan, it may work. As they do a lot of handshaking and winking with Taiwan. There is "foreign car" dealership in my town. They sell everything, from Ford/GM to BMW. But the car market here is imploding, so I think it's better to look out than in. Therefore I think Mazda should send some of their commercial vehicles to NA. As they may add another 20k in sales a year.

The Ford LCF and its International counterpart are built by the Bluediamond JV using a Mazda cab, International V-6 Power Stroke, and a Ford durashift trans. Not sure who makes the frame.

The Ford LCF and its International counterpart are built by the Bluediamond JV using a Mazda cab, International V-6 Power Stroke, and a Ford durashift trans. Not sure who makes the frame.

I think International did the chassis. Wonder what will become of the LCF when Ford and International go their separate ways.

I think International did the chassis. Wonder what will become of the LCF when Ford and International go their separate ways.

Ford needs to put effort into the LCF. The sales are almost non existant. The truck too long for most city driving.