5.0L in the new Mustang

Ford-150

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Osbourne said that they were looking into using the new 5.0L as a replacement for the 5.4L which is about 400 HP and 400 tq, why would he want an engine that only makes 340 HP and 360 tq

this engine should be equal to or better than the 5.4L it might replace if it is going to go into the really competitive Aus. Falcon/Commodore rivalry

Osbourne said that they were looking into using the new 5.0L as a replacement for the 5.4L which is about 400 HP and 400 tq, why would he want an engine that only makes 340 HP and 360 tq

this engine should be equal to or better than the 5.4L it might replace if it is going to go into the really competitive Aus. Falcon/Commodore rivalry

hold it....which iteration of the 5.4 had/ has 400hp?

the new XR8 has 388 HP while its FPV brother has 422 HP

it's not the same as our 5.4L truck engines

The turbo 6 kills the 5.4 4V on bottom end torque, I suspect Ecoboost 35 will do the same to the 4.6 3V

and the 4.4 Diesel will replace a lot of 5.4 3Vs in the F150 for the same reason.:)

oh, the Aussie engines.....definitely NOT the same as here....wonder how THEY would do with all the US emmission strangulation?

We'll never know......we switch to US engines in2010, but the Pontiac G8 Does OK.

Edited by jpd80

I want my cake and eat it too...and would really be nice when the bow tie boy with blackheads can be squashed with literal bragging rights for after touting a supposed chevy superiority

Pfft. The Bowtie boys haven't had a thing to talk about for something like 6 years, and they're still talking.

Not even the total absence of product has shut them up, so don't expect something like a superior product from Ford to do that.

And all that talking don't cover up the reality that it was THEIR car that got the ax.

Pfft. The Bowtie boys haven't had a thing to talk about for something like 6 years, and they're still talking.

Not even the total absence of product has shut them up, so don't expect something like a superior product from Ford to do that.

And all that talking don't cover up the reality that it was THEIR car that got the ax.

LOL well they have had something to talk about these past years because GM prematurely ejaculated the Camaro concept

Given that the 4.6L 3V VCT PFI V8 makes 300 hp and ~320 tq, is it so hard to believe that an engine with 10% more displacement and who's only other improvement is to go DOHC 4V is predicted to make about 13% more hp and an undetermined amount of torque? Notice blue II didn't specify TiVCT for the base GT motor either, so only intake VCT should be expected. Given all that, I won't be shocked to see the 5.0 come in at 340/350 on the same fuel as the current motor.

340 HP from a 5.0 32-valve (3.6+" bore) with VCT ain't happening, that's low, way low. In 2001 the Cobra with heads inferior to the 03-05 4V heads (much less the GT/GT500 heads) made 320 HP with an intake of questionable/lax casting quality, no VCT and 9.85:1 CR.

Assuming the new 5.0L has FGT/GT500 derived heads -- which are lightyears beyond the 01 heads in flow numbers and port design -- and add a 3V-esque composite intake manifold (or better yet, a variable runner) and VCT on the intake camshaft into the equation, 370 HP should be a conservative estimate.

The bb/stroker 5.0L should be a better performer than the 5.4 thanks to the bore diameter advantage (and corresponding increase in head flow that it results in). As someone already mentioned the 2000 R made 385 (410-415 realistically) with predessecors to the FGT/GT500 heads, a relatively low 9.6:1 compression ratio and an intake manifold tuned for mid-range torque. There's absolutely no reason why a non-DI 5.0L 4V shouldn't match or surpass the R numbers.

People need to get the 3V out of their head when thinking about this new 5.0L, the fact that it is a 4V benefitting from Ford's more recent knowledge puts it into a whole new ball game. The 3V is an emission head with poor (for performance) valve placement that falls well short of even the 99/01 4V heads in terms of flow and potential, much less all of the newer and improved 4V castings.

That's also not to say there won't be SE versions of the vehicle. An SE that gets TiVCT and GDI could easily push 400 hp and similar torque. It will be disapointing if the new base GT really isn't any more potent than the current Shelby GT. I would have expected better.

An engine with those specs should realisitically produce no less than 420 HP.

Edited by White99GT

the new XR8 has 388 HP while its FPV brother has 422 HP

it's not the same as our 5.4L truck engines

The Boss 302 (Falcon) makes 405 hp (302 Kw) and 398 lb-ft. It's a 5.4 4V with unique cams, 10.8:1 CR and a unique (tuned for mid-range) intake.

It's also uses regular old 177cc Lincoln Aviator heads. (i.e. Mach 1/Marauder/03-04 Cobra heads)

And for anyone that feels the need, don't bother bringing up the old press releases that say the Boss 290 used "an improved version of the Cobra R heads" because those releases were incorrect. I know people that run the Boss 290 intake manifold on 5.4 4V-swapped Mustangs and that intake won't even bolt up to (or rather seal to) the high-port Cobra R/Ford GT/GT500 heads.

Edited by White99GT

340 HP from a 5.0 32-valve (3.6+" bore) with VCT ain't happening, that's low, way low. In 2001 the Cobra with heads inferior to the 03-05 4V heads (much less the GT/GT500 heads) made 320 HP with an intake of questionable/lax casting quality, no VCT and 9.85:1 CR.

Assuming the new 5.0L has FGT/GT500 derived heads -- which are lightyears beyond the 01 heads in flow numbers and port design -- and add a 3V-esque composite intake manifold (or better yet, a variable runner) and VCT on the intake camshaft into the equation, 370 HP should be a conservative estimate.

The bb/stroker 5.0L should be a better performer than the 5.4 thanks to the bore diameter advantage (and corresponding increase in head flow that it results in). As someone already mentioned the 2000 R made 385 (410-415 realistically) with predessecors to the FGT/GT500 heads, a relatively low 9.6:1 compression ratio and an intake manifold tuned for mid-range torque. There's absolutely no reason why a non-DI 5.0L 4V shouldn't match or surpass the R numbers.

People need to get the 3V out of their head when thinking about this new 5.0L, the fact that it is a 4V benefitting from Ford's more recent knowledge puts it into a whole new ball game. The 3V is an emission head with poor (for performance) valve placement that falls well short of even the 99/01 4V heads in terms of flow and potential, much less all of the newer and improved 4V castings.

An engine with those specs should realisitically produce no less than 420 HP.

yeah im a little skeptical about it having only 40 HP more than the 4.6L 3v, a 5.0L 4v should make more than that

Taking in all the info from all the sources, looks pretty good that the 5L with about 340hp is intended for the F-150, in a torque-heavy setup, while a performance-tuned variant pushing out 400hp is meant for the Mustang GT.

school me on the 6.2L..is it just a larger 5.0L.....damn i want that 6.2L in the gt500 and a bare bones stripper LX type stang..

the 6.2L is an all-new design from the Hurricane/Boss program. 2V heads and intended mostly for trucks. Thinks lots of torque, not max HP. The 5.0L is based off the Mod (4.6L) design, and in the 'Stang would be tuned for more HP to pace the competition. So no, the 6.2 is not just a larger 5L. Its also not likely to appear in the Mustang quickly, given all factors like heritage, CAFE, and $$ the 5L is just a better fit.

Taking in all the info from all the sources, looks pretty good that the 5L with about 340hp is intended for the F-150, in a torque-heavy setup, while a performance-tuned variant pushing out 400hp is meant for the Mustang GT.

the 6.2L is an all-new design from the Hurricane/Boss program. 2V heads and intended mostly for trucks. Thinks lots of torque, not max HP. The 5.0L is based off the Mod (4.6L) design, and in the 'Stang would be tuned for more HP to pace the competition. So no, the 6.2 is not just a larger 5L. Its also not likely to appear in the Mustang quickly, given all factors like heritage, CAFE, and $$ the 5L is just a better fit.

any chance gt500 gets the 6.2L??????????...i cannot see the 5.0L in the gt500

Two engines testing:

1. 5.0 all aluminum DOHC, PFI, VCT. Probably 340 HP in the GT.

2. 5.0 all aluminum DOHC, TTDI, TIVCT, Shelby stuff, big HP over 500.

Maybe a 5.4 version for the F Series.

I need to correct myself on this.

The 340 HP 5.0 is for the F-150. Different manifold tuning for torque.

A PFI 5.0 for the Mustang is at 425 HP. Some tech from the FR500 engine.

Again the TTDI 5.0 will come later.

Sorry for the confusion.

425 HP Sounds just about right and matches the Audi R8 which achieved a double victory at the 2008 World Car of the Year awards, winning both the World Performance Car and the World Car Design of the Year awards.

http://www.audiworld.com/news/08/r8-awards/

Ford need to make make the Mustang a global car sales would double overnight if they did, l gotta say l would buy one as l find it very hard to warm to a Focus or Mondeo they just are not my cup of tea. Fords Ranger & Transit are the only vehicle that l like in Europe at the moment they are not every day cars. We have not had a Sports Coupe or SUV produced for sale in Europe for some time now it would just be nice to be offered the choice that you have in the States.

Thanks Blue II, that makes a bit more sense. I was trying to fit your numbers to what we know about the fuel economy pressures in the market are as well as Ford's tendency to under achieve when it comes to V8 HP output in all but exotic applications. A 340 HP torque tuned 5.0L V8 for the F-150 sounds pretty freaking sweet. That should completely outclass the GM 5.3L family that's currently in existence. Heck, it likely will produce more torque than the outgoing 5.4L model as well and be a viable replacement for it (assuming that the new 5.4L version isn't head and shoulders above the current one).

425 HP from the 5.0L mod gen III means dramatically better breathing to me. Considering that a lot of the FR500 mods addressed breathing, that holds water. It'll be interesting to see what it looks like in final trim.

I need to correct myself on this.

The 340 HP 5.0 is for the F-150. Different manifold tuning for torque.

A PFI 5.0 for the Mustang is at 425 HP. Some tech from the FR500 engine.

Again the TTDI 5.0 will come later.

Sorry for the confusion.

I guess if enough people say something I have to believe it. So I will.