5.0L in the new Mustang

Ford-150

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You keep going on about how the 4Vs are much better performing engines than the 3Vs. You are certainly right about this. The problem is that you, and most people responding to you, seem to forget that the 3Vs were brought out for their fuel economy. While they did get more HP than the 2Vs, they definitely got better MPG than the 4Vs at an equivalent HP.

I'm guessing that that's also the same for the 5.0. With more modern engineering, it'll get better MPG than -any- 4.6 or 5.4 at the equivalent HP.

I wouldn't be surprised to see, at some point in the future, an engine with different valve timing for each of the intakes and exhausts in a 4V engine - better torque at low end (and better MPG), and more free flow at the upper end (and possibly better MPG here, as well).

I thought the purpose of the 3V was to provide better than 2V performance for less than 4V cost...and improved emissions. Gas mileage seems to be a toss up between them.

2004 Navigator 2WD (4-speed auto)

11/16 http://www.fueleconomy.gov/FEG/noframes/20209.shtml

2005 Navigator 2WD (6-speed auto)

11/17 http://www.fueleconomy.gov/Feg/noframes/21321.shtml

The 3V eeking out a little extra mpg thanks to the 6-speed auto.

2004 Mustang Mach 1 (5-speed manual)

15/23 http://mustangs.about.com/od/modelyearprof...004-mileage.htm

2005 Mustang GT (5-speed manual)

15/23 http://mustangs.about.com/od/2005/a/2005-mileage.htm

The curb weights of the '04 Mach 1 and '05 GT are virtually identical as well, with both coming in around 3,450 lbs. give of or take a few pounds.

wait something is fishy about how this was done.....

How do you mean? I thought possibly Ford may have leaked something like this in order to find out where the leak may be internally. I know thats a huge long shot but its disappointing non the less.

How do you mean? I thought possibly Ford may have leaked something like this in order to find out where the leak may be internally. I know thats a huge long shot but its disappointing non the less.

well it is my HULK like imagination running right now

i refuse to believe that Ford would fuck this up more for them

your leak idea was exactly what i was thinking since it seems Ford wants to be super secret with everything it does

it just doesn't make sense how he was so confident about it being 10' and then a good while later say it was 11'

I'm thinking hard right now about all the "insider info" i have read about the new Mustang....i hope i can figure it out

Bring it out on time which every other company is capable of doing?

Truly an odd thing to say.

"On time" vs. "Late" can only be measured against a set schedule. Since no one here has any idea what the schedule is, it is impossible to say if the 5.0L is "on time" or "late".

Besides, I for one would rather that they not artificially accelerate development, in order to bring out a new engine at the same time as a mild body refresh. After all, the Mustang seemingly always was at a power deficit to the F-bodies but made up for it by virtue of a lighter and superior chassis, and IRS not withstanding, I would think that this will still be the case.

Truly an odd thing to say.

"On time" vs. "Late" can only be measured against a set schedule. Since no one here has any idea what the schedule is, it is impossible to say if the 5.0L is "on time" or "late".

Besides, I for one would rather that they not artificially accelerate development, in order to bring out a new engine at the same time as a mild body refresh. After all, the Mustang seemingly always was at a power deficit to the F-bodies but made up for it by virtue of a lighter and superior chassis, and IRS not withstanding, I would think that this will still be the case.

Being late with new engines has been a problem with Ford for a long time, I'm sick of hearing we have to wait after a new or re-designed car comes out, it's insulting. The mustang will finally have some stiff competition, being a Mustang fanatic my whole life I was never happy with getting dusted by the F-bods, just because the bean counters of the past made bad decisions doesn't mean it's a tradition to be continued on. Finally we have a real management team and an engine that is on par with the competition with a much lighter chassis, the 2010 will take a beating from everyone if it has nothing but a 300 horse 4.6, there is no excuse for being late, nobody else seems to have these problems, they don't maker excuses, they just get the job done. In this class it is all about bragging rights, if you don't think so, go down to the drag strip and see what the real world is like outside of the net where all people care about is sales numbers and stock prices, nobody gives a rats ass about that garbage on the street or the track. I want the Mustang to be top dog again as it was in the 80's up until the early 90's.

When they decided on a year to re-fresh the car and give it more power they had a deadline to keep, there is no excuse for failing once again like Ford powertrain has so many times now. I can only hope this latest "rumor" is BS to throw people off, until then we can only speculate until next spring when it comes out, it's gonna be a long wait. ut I sure as hell know I wouldn't spend a dime on a 2010 Mustang if it has the 4.6, I'll wait for the 5.0 to come out.

Edited by Blueblood

Being late with new engines has been a problem with Ford for a long time, I'm sick of hearing we have to wait after a new or re-designed car comes out, it's insulting. The mustang will finally have some stiff competition, being a Mustang fanatic my whole life I was never happy with getting dusted by the F-bods, just because the bean counters of the past made bad decisions doesn't mean it's a tradition to be continued on. Finally we have a real management team and an engine that is on par with the competition with a much lighter chassis, the 2010 will take a beating from everyone if it has nothing but a 300 horse 4.6, there is no excuse for being late, nobody else seems to have these problems, they don't maker excuses, they just get the job done. In this class it is all about bragging rights, if you don't think so, go down to the drag strip and see what the real world is like outside of the net where all people care about is sales numbers and stock prices, nobody gives a rats ass about that garbage on the street or the track. I want the Mustang to be top dog again as it was in the 80's up until the early 90's.

When they decided on a year to re-fresh the car and give it more power they had a deadline to keep, there is no excuse for failing once again like Ford powertrain has so many times now. I can only hope this latest "rumor" is BS to throw people off, until then we can only speculate until next spring when it comes out, it's gonna be a long wait. ut I sure as hell know I wouldn't spend a dime on a 2010 Mustang if it has the 4.6, I'll wait for the 5.0 to come out.

I watched some drag racing at the Classic Ford show at Santa Pod last year.

Aussie Capri about to rotate superb.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RNlRBVENSew

capriWheelieJPG.JPG

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds