BMW reports $372M Q1 LOSS

NickF1011

Why the shocked face? It's the recession.

What recession? GDP, the most common measurement of recession, has yet to go negative for even a single quarter, let alone two in a row which is the standard definition of "recession" in economic circles. Add to that that premium car buyers are likely the least affected by the housing "bubble" and increased gas prices.

What recession? GDP, the most common measurement of recession, has yet to go negative for even a single quarter, let alone two in a row which is the standard definition of "recession" in economic circles. Add to that that premium car buyers are likely the least affected by the housing "bubble" and increased gas prices.

Nick...theres a river in africa.......only the small % of people UN-affected by the current state of the economy/ housing crisus / layoffs and still cashing familiar paychecks seem to be claiming otherwise....the measurement you are pertaining too COMES from people that fit that description......even premium car buyers are cutting back...witness BMW.....

Nick...theres a river in africa.......only the small % of people UN-affected by the current state of the economy/ housing crisus / layoffs and still cashing familiar paychecks seem to be claiming otherwise....the measurement you are pertaining too COMES from people that fit that description......even premium car buyers are cutting back...witness BMW.....

I guess I'm in that small % then. Good for me. :)

I guess I'm in that small % then. Good for me. :)

happy for ya...ba$ tard! LOL! man it has affected the car business DRAMATICALLY!.....but thank god product is coming that may instill interest ( especially fuel sippers like the Fiesta ) and the common thread at the last ford shin dig was one of excitement and positive attitudes....

happy for ya...ba$ tard! LOL! man it has affected the car business DRAMATICALLY!.....but thank god product is coming that may instill interest ( especially fuel sippers like the Fiesta ) and the common thread at the last ford shin dig was one of excitement and positive attitudes....

Yeah, it's almost tempting to trade in the Mazda6 for something new, but with it so recently paid off, I've gotta at least be disciplined enough to lay on it at least a LITTLE while!! :hysterical:

There are definitely some good deals to be had out there though. My dad just picked up an '08 Trailblazer for $26K....it was listed for over $33K. Kinda funny -- he mentioned that was LESS than what he paid for his '98 Durango new. :lol:

Edited by NickF1011

Yeah, it's almost tempting to trade in the Mazda6 for something new, but with it so recently paid off, I've gotta at least be disciplined enough to lay on it at least a LITTLE while!! :hysterical:

There are definitely some good deals to be had out there though. My dad just picked up an '08 Trailblazer for $26K....it was listed for over $33K. Kinda funny -- he mentioned that was LESS than what he paid for his '98 Durango new. :lol:

yup...tempted at the new Connect...saw a BUNCH in ireland....very cool and PERFECT for getaways with girl and pooches with bikes and all....may trade in her Expedition...we shall see.....

WHAT LOSS? BMW didn't lose money!!! don't u know how to read? BMW earnings went down mostly because it is laying off

some people in europe, and building a plant in the US in ANTICIPATION OF BUYING VOLVO from FORD!!!!

THAT'S RIGHT, YOU HEARD IT FROM ME, BMW WILL BUY VOLVO FROM FORD!!! Most likely for 6 billion bucks.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/industr...s_578499_6.html

I thought only American automakers were in trouble???

WHAT LOSS? BMW didn't lose money!!! don't u know how to read? BMW earnings went down mostly because it is laying off

some people in europe, and building a plant in the US in ANTICIPATION OF BUYING VOLVO from FORD!!!!

THAT'S RIGHT, YOU HEARD IT FROM ME, BMW WILL BUY VOLVO FROM FORD!!! Most likely for 6 billion bucks.

Where are you getting this info from? I'm pretty sure the Volvo --> BMW rumors have been proven false several times already.

Care to qualify that with a time frame, like Tracinda is saying -18 months or sooner?

I think you're just guessing, BMW looked twice last year and walked away.....

Edited by jpd80

why do you think bmw is building a plant in bama or georgia (don't remember which one) with a capacity of 120K autos; my guess is bmw knows that it's going to buy volvo, or there is a gentlemen's agreement already in place between ford and bmw. there is way too much capacity just for bmw at the new plant in bama.

Where are you getting this info from? I'm pretty sure the Volvo --> BMW rumors have been proven false several times already.

bmw walked away because it wasn't the right timing; now it is. dollar is all time low, alabama/georgia plant (whichever it is) is being readied, and by now it should have its suppliers lined up, etc, etc. bmw will buy it as soon as the new plant in the us is in full production, and that i don't know when it's going to happen.

Care to qualify that with a time frame, like Tracinda is saying -18 months or sooner?

I think you're just guessing, BMW looked twice last year and walked away.....

Edited by salsakingcpa

bmw walked away because it wasn't the right timing; now it is. dollar is all time low, alabama/georgia plant (whichever it is) is being readied, and by now it should have its suppliers lined up, etc, etc. bmw will buy it as soon as the new plant in the us is in full production, and that i don't know when it's going to happen.

They already have the South Carolina plant for exclusive production of X5 and X6.

The expansion is for inclusion of the X3 and increased production of X5 and X6.

BMW spending $750 million to expand US plant; 500 new jobs created

It looks more like BMW are very self intent and not looking at Volvo at the moment,

ask the same question in 12-18 months and the answer may be different.

Don't expect any change in position either until financial lending eases.:)

that's what bmw will tell you, but you need to look ahead; do you think in their right mind bmw will expand its plant in the us when it knows that us is in a recession? the best reason for expansion is to expand its output by including other brands such as volvo. bmw or toyota are very secretive organizations, it will not publicly tell you what is future plans are to anybody and specially to the public!!!

They already have the South Carolina plant for exclusive production of X5 and X6.

The expansion is for inclusion of the X3 and increased production of X5 and X6.

BMW spending $750 million to expand US plant; 500 new jobs created

It looks more like BMW are very self intent and not looking at Volvo at the moment,

ask the same question in 12-18 months and the answer may be different.

Don't expect any change in position either until financial lending eases.:)

in 4 years, bmw will be producing its 240K units, but most articles don't state that it won't be finished until 2012; most likely it will be a gradual expansion having different phases. one example is the ford craivao (the new romanian plant acquired by ford); there ford will invest 750 million euros, and it will produce vehicles right away in small quantities, and when it has expanded greatly in 2012; it will capacity to produce 300K units.

The South Carolina expansion won't be finished for another four years.

in 4 years, bmw will be producing its 240K units, but most articles don't state that it won't be finished until 2012; most likely it will be a gradual expansion having different phases. one example is the ford craivao (the new romanian plant acquired by ford); there ford will invest 750 million euros, and it will produce vehicles right away in small quantities, and when it has expanded greatly in 2012; it will capacity to produce 300K units.

Salsafreak, your conspiracies get more hilarious every day. :hysterical:

Somebody needs a Sanka.