Mazda unveils North American '09 Mazda6

NickF1011

Have you actually seen a picture of the Flexible? The only way it could be more of a wagon is if it was named Country Squire.

But it looks nothing like any other "wagon" that has been on the market for the past two-plus decades. Add in the features that you won't find in any other "wagon" and it obviously goes far beyond what a station wagon is in the traditional sense.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rear looks a lot like the Mondeo, but better. Overall probably one of the better looking sedan options out there. I don't think the 2010 Fusion will be able to match this.

No matter how many times they try, the wagon market is minuscule and growing less appealing with every iteration. The CUV/SUV alternatives out there make more sense. They offer better utility at the same price point.

Edited by BORG

Actually, they are also finally releasing a Jetta wagon here in the US. The current Jetta is approximately the same size as the outgoing Mazda6...

... just a thought...

1) Haven't they had a Jetta wagon in the past?

2) Isn't the current Jetta still about the size of a Focus?

Ans:

1) Yes: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/Feg/noframes/19906.shtml

2) Yes: http://autos.yahoo.com/ford_focus_s_sedan-specs/?p=int http://autos.yahoo.com/volkswagen_jetta_sedan_s-specs/?p=int

Sure, the Jetta COSTS as much as a Mazda6, but that's just because the Germans have no idea what it's like in America. Did you know that VW used to be the most popular import make in the US? Did you know that their peak year for US sales was not 1998 (Ford's, IIRC), but 1970? Could it be that selling trouble prone vehicles at exorbitant prices is a bad business strategy?

Yeah, since station wagons are ever-popular in the United States. :rolleyes: There's a reason fewer and fewer wagons are being offered by EVERYBODY.

Yup...because why sell a station wagon for $20K when you can sell a SUV for $40K.

That new Mazda does look sharp, kinda Lexus-y in the rear though.

Edited by Armada Master

But it will still be a typical VW that is a pain the ass to fix and also be expensive to repair as well.

Are VW diesels that bad? I know they hold resale value like no other, but that could possibly be due to the fact that VW doesn't offer many of them stateside.

I can only wonder how much these are going to run.

To the topic at hand: the 2009 Mazda6.

I bought a brand-new, first-year-of-production 2003 Mazda6s - the s model with the 220hp V6 & 5-speed manual transmission. And I bought it straight off the truck, still plastic wrapped. I had to get rid of it for other reasons two years ago, but it still holds a very dear place in my heart.

When I bought my 2003 Mazda6 I didn't really need a midsize sedan, but the 6 offered a package that was tempting: a decent interior and refined manners (both lacking in the Altima), a taut yet refined exterior design (far better than the chunky Accord), and sporting performance - emphasized with the V6/manual combo.

I still don't need a midsize sedan and I will be in no hurry to purchase this new Mazda6. With this update, Mazda has broken two of it's core Zoom-Zoom keys that have delivered time-and-time again for Mazda: smaller/lighter and the joy of driving. Whereas the original 6 was just slightly smaller all around than the competitors still offering a roomy interior but keeping the size down to improve the fun-to-drive quotient via lighter weight, this new 6 is as big as every other midsize - still no advantage as it only matches - it doesn't exceed. Especially useless to those who don't need all of the space of a "full-size" midsize sedan. And the lack of a V6/manual is simply an inexcusable assault on Mazda's "joy of driving" credo. In it's first year of production, Mazda so badly underforecasted V6/manual demand that it was reported some dealers were able to charge markups on V6/manual models. And even for those purchasers who chose the automatic models, the V6/manual performance image created a halo for the entire Mazda6 brand.

Without the sporting halo what is the new Mazda6? Just another midsize. And why would one look at a car with worse resale, lower projected reliability, and a smaller dealer network when I can buy an equivalent Honda, Toyota, or Nissan down the block?

Mazda's been there before - 1998. The successful-but-low-volumed-compared-to-Honda-and-Toyota Mazda 626 was replaced by a larger, tamer, more Honda/Toyota-ish 626. And by the time it was replaced in 2002 it had fallen completely off the radar screens of nearly all new car shoppers.

I understand Mazda's motivation for once again Toyota-izing their midsize product. But I still wonder why no one at Mazda understands the reason the last Mazda6 actually sold. It sold because it was different: because you could get a V6/manual, because it was a bit smaller, because it was taut and understated. Instead, Mazda ignored why the 6 sold and focused on why it didn't sell. And the answer boils down to this: the 6 isn't and never will be an Accord or Camry.

They've set out, once again, to "correct" that problem and I think they've ended up with a bigger problem - a fine car with no identity.

Scott

To the topic at hand: the 2009 Mazda6.

I bought a brand-new, first-year-of-production 2003 Mazda6s - the s model with the 220hp V6 & 5-speed manual transmission. And I bought it straight off the truck, still plastic wrapped. I had to get rid of it for other reasons two years ago, but it still holds a very dear place in my heart.

When I bought my 2003 Mazda6 I didn't really need a midsize sedan, but the 6 offered a package that was tempting: a decent interior and refined manners (both lacking in the Altima), a taut yet refined exterior design (far better than the chunky Accord), and sporting performance - emphasized with the V6/manual combo.

I still don't need a midsize sedan and I will be in no hurry to purchase this new Mazda6. With this update, Mazda has broken two of it's core Zoom-Zoom keys that have delivered time-and-time again for Mazda: smaller/lighter and the joy of driving. Whereas the original 6 was just slightly smaller all around than the competitors still offering a roomy interior but keeping the size down to improve the fun-to-drive quotient via lighter weight, this new 6 is as big as every other midsize - still no advantage as it only matches - it doesn't exceed. Especially useless to those who don't need all of the space of a "full-size" midsize sedan. And the lack of a V6/manual is simply an inexcusable assault on Mazda's "joy of driving" credo. In it's first year of production, Mazda so badly underforecasted V6/manual demand that it was reported some dealers were able to charge markups on V6/manual models. And even for those purchasers who chose the automatic models, the V6/manual performance image created a halo for the entire Mazda6 brand.

Without the sporting halo what is the new Mazda6? Just another midsize. And why would one look at a car with worse resale, lower projected reliability, and a smaller dealer network when I can buy an equivalent Honda, Toyota, or Nissan down the block?

Mazda's been there before - 1998. The successful-but-low-volumed-compared-to-Honda-and-Toyota Mazda 626 was replaced by a larger, tamer, more Honda/Toyota-ish 626. And by the time it was replaced in 2002 it had fallen completely off the radar screens of nearly all new car shoppers.

I understand Mazda's motivation for once again Toyota-izing their midsize product. But I still wonder why no one at Mazda understands the reason the last Mazda6 actually sold. It sold because it was different: because you could get a V6/manual, because it was a bit smaller, because it was taut and understated. Instead, Mazda ignored why the 6 sold and focused on why it didn't sell. And the answer boils down to this: the 6 isn't and never will be an Accord or Camry.

They've set out, once again, to "correct" that problem and I think they've ended up with a bigger problem - a fine car with no identity.

Scott

Wow, compelling argument indeed.

Now take that argument, and swap out "new Mazda6" in place of "forthcoming F-100" for use in the "Long live the Ranger" thread, scary how a lot of (NOT ALL) of it applies there too, eh? :redcard:

Edited by Armada Master

My view is, that just because it doesn't offer a V6/Manual package, it doesn't mean that it's any less sportier. I'm sure it'll handle as well as what we've expect from Mazda's...the dynamics will probably be as aggressive as they were before and again off er a package that isn't as bland as an Accord or Camry...

My view is, that just because it doesn't offer a V6/Manual package, it doesn't mean that it's any less sportier. I'm sure it'll handle as well as what we've expect from Mazda's...the dynamics will probably be as aggressive as they were before and again off er a package that isn't as bland as an Accord or Camry...

Some people won't even consider a car unless you can get a manual transmission. My girlfriend is one of them.

Anyone find it odd that they're pairing the 2.5 with a 5-speed auto vs. 6-speed on the Fusion and Escape?

Ford has an issue with Cafe, Mazda does not. Remember, the Mazda 6 is the biggest car they sell in US.

The 5-speed would be cheaper and is available now. With the 5-speed geared for performance and the 6-speed geared for economy, you can get better performance oult of the 5-speed.

The new Fusion is coming 5 months later than the Mazda 6. They likely need time to work on the 6-speed.

So this is based on the Mondeo's platform (the EUCD)?

No, it's an updated CD3. Read this article for reasons why Mazda decided not to use the EUCD: http://www.nwipp-newspapers.com/FH/free/291523932388898.php . The Mondeo's platform has gotten too big for Japanese needs. For those complaining about the Mazda 6 getting bigger, weight hasn't increased at all in the base model and it probably around the same figure for the V6 model. Mazda is set on reducing weight, just look at the Mazda2 and EU and JDM Mazda 6/Atenza.

No, it's an updated CD3. Read this article for reasons why Mazda decided not to use the EUCD: http://www.nwipp-newspapers.com/FH/free/291523932388898.php . The Mondeo's platform has gotten too big for Japanese needs. For those complaining about the Mazda 6 getting bigger, weight hasn't increased at all in the base model and it probably around the same figure for the V6 model. Mazda is set on reducing weight, just look at the Mazda2 and EU and JDM Mazda 6/Atenza.

So how similar is it to the Fusion?