New Vehicle for Oakville News

Ford to add new vehicle at Oakville plant

Mon May 5, 2008 3:40pm EDT Email | Print | Share| Reprints | Single Page| Recommend (0) [-] Text [+]

powered by Sphere

Market News

Wall St slides on Countrywide worry, oil surge | Video

Oil jumps $4 to record over $120 on weak dollar

Yahoo shares fall 21 percent after Microsoft deal exit | Video

More Business & Investing News... Featured Broker sponsored link

¥ € $ - Learn. Practice. Trade.TORONTO, May 5 (Reuters) - Ford Canada (F.N: Quote, Profile, Research) will add a fourth vehicle to its Oakville, Ontario, assembly plant, as part of its recent contract agreement with the Canadian Auto Workers union, an industry source said on Monday.

The source said the type of vehicle is as yet unknown, but it will go into production sometime over the course of the new three-year contract, which begins in September.

Ford is also set to add a third shift to produce the Flex crossover vehicle at the Oakville plant, where it already builds the Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX. (Reporting by John McCrank; editing by Rob Wilson)

Obviously it would be. Surprising that it would be in production before year's end though.

I think we are just getting a number of people all re-interpreting what Hargrove said ... flex began production on Monday, and MKT will begin next year. That is it - 4 products for Oakville.

Igor

I think we are just getting a number of people all re-interpreting what Hargrove said ... flex began production on Monday, and MKT will begin next year. That is it - 4 products for Oakville.

Igor

OUR UNION PRES WAS ASKED THIS QUESTION AFTER HARGROVE LEFT THE BUILDING AT OUR RADIFICATION MEETING AND IT WAS ABOUT NEW PRODUCT FOR OAKVILLE AFTER D-471 AND 472 , FLEX AND MKT WE HAVE A LETTER TO THAT EFFECT IN OUR NEW AGREEMENT!!!!

OUR UNION PRES WAS ASKED THIS QUESTION AFTER HARGROVE LEFT THE BUILDING AT OUR RADIFICATION MEETING AND IT WAS ABOUT NEW PRODUCT FOR OAKVILLE AFTER D-471 AND 472 , FLEX AND MKT WE HAVE A LETTER TO THAT EFFECT IN OUR NEW AGREEMENT!!!!

Hmm. We need clarification on this. What else could they build there that we know is in the pipeline beyond Flex and MKT?

Hmm. We need clarification on this. What else could they build there that we know is in the pipeline beyond Flex and MKT?

I can't see them building much else at Oakville beyond the Edge and Flex. Since the MKT is based off the Flex, Ford would be able to find a way to squeeze it in.

Obviously it would be. Surprising that it would be in production before year's end though.

I would think the MKT would share all the mechanical parts with the Flex. Only the sheet metal, doors, glass, and trim would change. The heavy engineering would be done a year ago. How long would it take to test drive the vehicle to find design flaws in sheet metal, doors, glass and trim? They could be building it today; they just have to make sure the quality is right.

2010 Unibody Explorer?

that could very well be

but are they expecting the Taurus (Sable) and MKS to keep Chicago humming?

I think that is a bit optimistic; I expected the ORE Explorer to go to Chicago.

Igor

Edited by igor

I would think the MKT would share all the mechanical parts with the Flex. Only the sheet metal, doors, glass, and trim would change. The heavy engineering would be done a year ago. How long would it take to test drive the vehicle to find design flaws in sheet metal, doors, glass and trim? They could be building it today; they just have to make sure the quality is right.

Eh, the MKT goes a bit beyond sheet metal, doors, and glass. It's going to be an entirely different vehicle from the floorpan up. It will require a whole new battery of tests for crash worthiness, airflow, sound management, and everything else required to get it ready for the show. It's not exactly an MKX-from-Edge sort of rebadge.

Sorry, you don't know what you're talking about.

I think you misunderstood me, or I worded it poorly. Or if I'm mistaken, please enlighten me. I meant that the basic floorpan will be shared, but most everything above that will be different. They will share some other bits here and there, including drivetrains of course, but with the sheer difference in their physical appearances, I can't see how they can really share too much more. The side panel, quarter panel, door, and roof stampings surely aren't the same. None of the pillar shapes will be the same. None of the interior appointments will be the same. None of the glass will be the same (except maybe for the Vista Roof).

If this isn't the case, it seems the MKT will end up being much more of a rebadged copycat of the Flex than was indicated by the concept version -- and that would be extremely unfortunate.