2009 Escape/Mariner details

Looks good. More hp, better milage, more options, etc... My old 2005 V6 Mariner always got about 20-21mpg is a 50/50 split of city & highway. I'll bet this one is even better. The 2005 models were extreamly loud on the highway. It was good to see that the sound damping in the 2008+ models were greatly improved. It looks like they removed almost all of the negatives that the vehicle had...

However, I really wish Ford would put a telescoping steerig wheel in the Escape/Mariner. It would really improve the comfort for tall drivers. The vehcile has plenty of leg and head room, but when you get the seat back far enough for you legs to be comfortable, the steering wheel is quite a reach...

With 4.00/gal gas, these really might be the next SUV of the year....

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=28224

Duratec 25 is now the standard engine and Duratec 30 output is now 240hp, and gas mileage is estimated to be 1mpg higher for both 4 & 6 cylinder models.

BTW, 240hp from a 3.0L engine is nothing to scoff at.

While, personally, I won't scoff at that output from the engine, I do want to point out a couple of things...

2003 called, Honda Motor Corporation would like to introduce their SOHC 3.0L v6 with 240 HP (as used in the Accord V6)

There's also a message from 2002, apparently Nissan wants to introduce their 2.5L I-4 engine with a rated output of 175 HP (as used in the Altima 2.5).

So, while 240 HP from a DOHC 3.0L V6 that's gone through several upgrade iterations is not bad at all, its nothing to be particularly proud of, especially considering that outputs of those magnitudes were achieved over half a decade ago by the competiton in regular production engines with at least industry average reliability. Yes, the Accord V6 might have enjoyed a higher octane of gas, it also is giving up a camshaft in the process. Fair trade in my book.

It is still a nice upgrade in power for the vehicles in question, and the added economy is a plus as well. I'd love to know the torque output of the D30 PIP, though. That "stout" 217 lbs from the accord is gonna be tough to beat. ;)