08 Focus

8A4RE

I was one of the many 'on the fence' when it came to the styling of the 08 Focus. I see them a lot around the Chicago area. I walk past a couple of them in the school parking lot every day. I am immediately drawn to it whenever I see one in traffic. It dawned on me that the styling of the new focus is very distinctive and this sets it apart from its competitors. I think they built a car that stands out from the crowd in a good way. It defiantly gets my attention; I spot them right away and this is a good thing.

My favorite focus is white with alloy wheels and fog lamps. I can see why Ford has a home run on its hands. I think people are buying the Focus because it turns heads. Say what you will about this car. It is very distinctive looking and that's not a bad thing.

I think, for all the mishmash of lines and angles on that car, that it stands out is worth a lot.

And it would argue for a separate NA design language if it wasn't also clear that people don't much care for a harmonious design as much as they want something distinctive.

Which can apparently be accomplished by putting a gaudy "American" face on a European design....

070107_ford_focus_2008_hmed.hmedium.jpgnew_ford_mondeo.jpg

Everyday, I see that dark sonic blue (is that the name?) color on a Focus around here. The thing is selling like Mustangs (or hotcakes!) around here.

Naw! The color is Vista Blue. Currently have one that color and will be replacing it with another. My Mustang GT is a Sonic Blue. The Sonic Blue has a bit more purplish hue to it.

Naw! The color is Vista Blue. Currently have one that color and will be replacing it with another. My Mustang GT is a Sonic Blue. The Sonic Blue has a bit more purplish hue to it.

I am driving the same color-coupe and just put a silver body kit on it. Looks pretty good right now. Adding some 17" wheels on it next week and a few other items.

Will post a few pics when done-should look pretty sporty. The chrome side vents clash with what I am doing-would be better off painted body color but will leave them for now.

It does drive well and is comfortable. Brakes feel a little spongy when initially applying pressure but then firm up a good bit. Control layout is good-like the new center stack. Seats in front are comfortable-have not sit in back and as mentioned before hate the lack of rear head restraints.

The gear selector-mine is automatic with leather-has a rough edge to it on one side-feels like it needs to be filed off! Most of the other materials are hard plastic-but they don't feel cheap and are assembled very well. Headliner fabric screams economy though.

I think, for all the mishmash of lines and angles on that car, that it stands out is worth a lot.

And it would argue for a separate NA design language if it wasn't also clear that people don't much care for a harmonious design as much as they want something distinctive.

Which can apparently be accomplished by putting a gaudy "American" face on a European design....

Just keep that gaudy "American" face on your side of the pond. :stop:

Its just too bad that they won't be keeling the any car face on your side. A small bit of hope is shown by some form of bars in the 2010 Taurus grill, but not much. I can learn to like the new styling, I just hope enough other people do.

The Focus looks so much better in the real world, I think it's all the sheet metal sculpting that makes the most impression. The car has far more texture and presence than the typical econobox and it certainly looks a lot more youthful than it's outgoing predecessor. I saw a handful of fully-loaded black Focii on the road over the weekend and I thought they looked amazing, especially with the side vent! I also saw a few in that dark blue which also looked very sharp.

Edited by BORG

You know, for the price of the car, it really has a nice interior. I just noticed. I know its hard plastic, but it really looks nice.

Too much money from FMC buys your pride and conscience. So you have none, no wonder you changed your name; keep it that way, your family must be proud of you.

The Focus looks so much better in the real world, I think it's all the sheet metal sculpting that makes the most impression. The car has far more texture and presence than the typical econobox and it certainly looks a lot more youthful than it's outgoing predecessor. I saw a handful of fully-loaded black Focii on the road over the weekend and I thought they looked amazing, especially with the side vent! I also saw a few in that dark blue which also looked very sharp.

I agree completely with you. I never thought it was ugly and it looks very good in person.

I was at our Ford dealer here with a friend who is looking at the new Focus. I really like the new look, it looks like a much more expensive car than the last generation. The only thing I am still not sure about is the shape of the headlights. I got to thinking, but do not have photoshop ability, what would a Mercury Tracer version look like? Has anyone ever done a photoshop with the front end and tail-lights similar to the Milan?

As a side note, the ride and NVH are light years ahead of the last generation, and on par with the best small cars out there. By driving, you could not tell it is on the same platform as the old one.

Edited by 7upMustang

The lower trim model Foci in Europe look worse then the US with all that cheap ass looking black plastic on them

While I'm not a big fan of the US Focus, the European one is not all that like people make it out to be on the internet.

Truth to tell, the people who actually buy the Focus would happily buy either of the two above.

Truth to tell, the people who actually buy the Focus would happily buy either of the two above.

You know what? You are right to a degree.

If the cabriolet version was here and priced reasonably, I would be at the dealership to work on getting one. :shades: I even agree that the one across the pond sounds good...of course, I am basing this on reading info about it since I haven't driven one or anything. :hysterical: Fact is, though, it is not here. Still would like that darn cabriolet. :ohsnap:

At the same time, I am one that does not bellyache over what we do not have since it does no good. I try to make the best of what is available. Sort of like c'est la vie; que sera, sera; and hakuna matata. You know? I am very happy with the cars that I have. :happy feet:

Edited by exrub

How much do you think the car on the right costs?

The Focus gives a lot perceived bang for the buck, it has tons of superfluous styling which reads as 'expensive' in the American market. Essentially, Ford did its market research and figured out what works here.

How much do you think the car on the right costs?

The Focus gives a lot perceived bang for the buck, it has tons of superfluous styling which reads as 'expensive' in the American market. Essentially, Ford did its market research and figured out what works here.

Pardon my lack of knowledge in automotive production costs...since I have no clue in what goes on in that area. This is just a question from someone who likes a variety of cars. :finger:

The story is that the next "global" generation of the Focus will be sold in both continents. So, my concern is which way the price will swing. If the Focus originates from Europe and carries a similar pricing, that would probably put it over $20K here in NA, right? Or would Ford somehow show a "market adjustment" and produce it at a price similar to the current one?

Personally, I would like the latter. As one can deduce from my history of car ownership, I do not stick to one size or class. So, if the Focus goes into another size category, I probably would not be looking at it unless it has something spectacular that catches my eyes. Hope additional information comes soon since the Focus SE on order is going to replace my SES (wife and daughter can't drive manual :banghead: ) and will end up being the daughter's when she's off to college. At that point, I will be left with two Mustangs and one Mariner. I am hoping the wife's Toyota will be gone by then. :hysterical: