When will the Fusion Hybrid come?

2005Explorer

New Honda Hybrids coming soon...

Now I know that this topic probably should have been posted in the Competition section, however after reading this I started to wonder how Ford is coming along on the Fusion Hybrid. It looks like Hybrids are going to become even more popular with oil pushing new records everyday. Also, do you think Ford will make an AWD version of the Hybrid like they do with the Escape? It seems like a good idea for people in the Northern states that have to deal with snow in the winter, but still want excellent MPG.

I had never leased a vehicle before, but one of the reasons I did a lease on my new Fusion AWD this time is because I am awaiting the new Hybrid model. I will probably go that route next time as gas looks to be $5.00 a gallon or more by then.

*Please do not discuss Panthers in this thread. I am curious about any information that people might know about the new Fusion Hybrid. I am not interested in reading about 1979 technology once again*

Edited by 2005Explorer

*Please do not discuss Panthers in this thread. I am curious about any information that people might know about the new Fusion Hybrid. I am not interested in reading about 1979 technology once again*

ummm... thats like saying dont picture a purple hippo. guess what everyone just thought of?... a purple hippo :stats:

ummm... thats like saying dont picture a purple hippo. guess what everyone just thought of?... a purple hippo :stats:

Well you have a good point, but what I was basically trying to say is that every single thread around here ends up as a Panther thread and I am tired of it. If I hadn't said it first, someone else would have. There are a few people (very few) around here that honestly think the Panther is the answer for everything. I think they honestly feel that Ford should cancel production of all passenger cars and force everyone to drive around in a Crown Vic or Grand Marquis. 95% of the general population does not give a rats ass about that hunk of outdated metal. The other 5% is mostly taxi service and law enforcement followed by a few 70+ year old consumers. Why some think that the future of Ford is the Panther I will never know.

As far as 1979 technology goes...yes the chassis of the car is from 1979. You can hang new body panels on it (well I don't think you can call them new anymore) put a flashy new dash in it (that's not new either and sure the hell not flashy) and even put an SOHC engine under the hood, but in the end the chassis was engineered in 1979.

With current fuel prices going up by the day consumers are not rushing out to by a body on frame car with a V8 under the hood. Sure you can keep telling everyone that you are getting 30 MPG or whatever, but I know people who have said they are getting 26 on their Suburban...sure whatever. The average Crown Vic sure the heck is not getting 30 MPG. The next thing you know someone will come along and swear that their Crown Vic is beating a new Focus on fuel economy.

Anyhow I am glad to hear that the Fusion Hybrid will be here by next winter. I had no heard a lot about it and the way fuel prices keep going up this could be an important model for Ford.

Anyone know if they will offer an AWD Fusion Hybrid?

Panthers arent bad cars, but they are relics. we had one as a rental and it got around 18mpg on the street. thats about what my Ranger does, which is also a horribly outdated vehicle. does it make either one a bad car? no, but they both need to be nix'ed in their current form.

I would be interested in the hybrid version of the MKZ... provided that the A/C can run on battery power when sitting at a stop light. It is my understanding that the early version of the Escape had to have the gas engine running in order to power the A/C. Is this still true?

For once I'm going to try and steer a topic back on track!

I think hybrid power plants, now that the cost-recovery time is much shorter thanks to higher fuel prices, will be much more popular in conventional non-affectatious packages (a'la Prius). The theory being that the Prius sells so well not because it's fuel efficient, but because it's a fashion accessory. Now that the Prius sales are increasing because of its fuel economy, there's reason to believe the market is genuinely interested in hybrids for the sake of their mission, cost savings.

For once, my father is looking at an Escape Hybrid to replace is E85 Ranger in order to cut cost!

Edited by BORG

For once I'm going to try and steer a topic back on track!

I think hybrid power plants, now that the cost-recovery time is much shorter thanks to higher fuel prices, will be much more popular in conventional non-affectatious packages (a'la Prius). The theory being that the Prius sells so well not because it's fuel efficient, but because it's a fashion accessory. Now that the Prius sales are increasing because of its fuel economy, there's reason to believe the market is genuinely interested in hybrids for the sake of their mission, cost savings.

For once, my father is looking at an Escape Hybrid to replace is E85 Ranger in order to cut cost! Unfortunately, the Escape Hybrid does not compete well against its own 4-cylinder so it's probably the worst example to site here ;).

I think you are right Borg

It seems that Hybrids were the rage when they first came out because they made an "impression"

Now, I think with gas getting close to 4.00/gal , they are making sense and people who don't care to make a fashion statement are considering them for a more practical reason.

New Honda Hybrids coming soon...

Now I know that this topic probably should have been posted in the Competition section, however after reading this I started to wonder how Ford is coming along on the Fusion Hybrid. It looks like Hybrids are going to become even more popular with oil pushing new records everyday. Also, do you think Ford will make an AWD version of the Hybrid like they do with the Escape? It seems like a good idea for people in the Northern states that have to deal with snow in the winter, but still want excellent MPG.

I had never leased a vehicle before, but one of the reasons I did a lease on my new Fusion AWD this time is because I am awaiting the new Hybrid model. I will probably go that route next time as gas looks to be $5.00 a gallon or more by then.

Sounds like the Fusion will use the same type of hybrid transmission as the Escape and Toyotas uses. But newer version. That means at the transmission side expect similar results to the Escape. To start with the double the city fuel efficiency. Increase the highway mileage a little. Maybe 10%.

Now it's the newest version so dramatically improve quality of shifting between electric and power. Make a small improvement in efficiency maybe 5% to 10%. Power, no change over the V-6 or better depending on gearing. This version of hybrid is to use common parts between all vehicles. Reduce cost of most parts between 10%-20%. Maybe more?

On the battery side expect a reduction of cost and weight. Don't expect a big change until lithium ion batteries are perfected and used in a few years.

Expect small improvements in the transmission every few years. There will be a big improvement is weight, cost, performance and efficiency when lithium ion batteries are perfected. That could be 3 to 10 years away.

I would be interested in the hybrid version of the MKZ... provided that the A/C can run on battery power when sitting at a stop light. It is my understanding that the early version of the Escape had to have the gas engine running in order to power the A/C. Is this still true?

Will they build a Hybrid version of the MKZ? I was under the impression that only a Fusion and Milan Hybrid were coming.

Will they build a Hybrid version of the MKZ? I was under the impression that only a Fusion and Milan Hybrid were coming.

well Jalopnik is claimning they will, based on spy shots .. but today Ford said only Milan and Fusion will have Hybrids ...

that said - we all know that in the official world, things are not existent until announced - so they may be just hiding the MKZ Hybrid until later (Maybe the GenIII V6 hybrid?)

Igor

Edited by igor

Exactly.

But interestingly enough...it was actually a Panther fan that brought them up. Usually the :cheerleader: bring them up when they can't think of anything intelligent or useful to say.