My Lincoln MKS Review

BORG

I got to play with two Lincoln MKSs today and took a ton of photos. I did not drive it :(

Briefly, the car is amazing. It's so extravagant and state of the art that it's intimidating, I thought for sure I was in a substantially costlier vehicle.

Interior: There is a substantial difference between the light colored and dark colored interiors, one I prefer substantially more. I have very high res photos and will work on uploading them to my website, but I need to pick the good ones. In any case, the car is soaking in soft materials, plush doesn't begin to describe it. My favorite detail in the interior is the thick pieces of sculpted chrome that surround the interior and frame the gorgeous wood appliqués.

Features: The Navigation/Voice Activated system is extremely sophisticated and complex with tutorials to help train the user. This is a substantially leap from the current system but I'm not sure it's a great system until I spend more time with it. The voice interface works extremely well, far better than the rudimentary system that was in the Lincolns briefly in 2005. It definitely has the best audio system I've heard in a Lincoln. It makes for a fantastic personal home theater since you can also play DVDs on the Nav screen in glorious 600 watt acoustically attenuated THX surround sound. The 40 gig Jukebox (really 30 gig since 10 gigs is used for Navigation) is a very nice feature and works quickly.

The keypad works brilliantly, just like the touch screen on an iPhone, it works easily with a very light touch. The keyless start seems hard to live without at this point. I can't image the joy of not having to fumble for my keys ever again.

The backup camera and forward sensing are great features which I could really use on my MKX after banging into somebody despite the reverse sensors. I couldn't test the adaptive cruise naturally.

Other Observations: The vista roof is nothing like the one in the MKX, mostly because the opening section is no bigger than a standard sunroof with a large cross member blocking a substantial part of the glass. The MKX has a massive opening which is fun for drivers and rear passengers.

The trunk is epic! I thought the Town Car had a big trunk, but this dwarfs anything I've seen before! Oddly, the rear seat do not fold flat, there is a small pass through for skis or other long objects.

QUIET! This is one quiet interior! Dear God! There was a band at the preview event I attended and they were complete muted by closing the door, just brilliant!

The new switchgear is unremarkable, probably a weak point IMO. It looks attractive and neat enough, but it's not a one-glance operation. There is no emphasis placed on key buttons, they are all the same and not necessarily ordered logically.

I did not order an MKS as planned largely because I get a new car in September and it's too early. By which time, the 20" rims will be available. Tuxedo black is not an extra cost option but there was not an example at the event :(.

I'll add more as I recall the details.

Edited by BORG

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The backup camera and forward sensing are great features which I could really use on my MKX after banging into somebody despite the reverse sensors. I couldn't test the adaptive cruise naturally."

uh huh....I ran over someones foot once...they thought it was an accident... I played naive ;) He ticked me off and I KNEW I would be running over his foot when I pulled away... Well.... I did tell him him not to lean against my car...he didnt listen...

"The backup camera and forward sensing are great features which I could really use on my MKX after banging into somebody despite the reverse sensors. I couldn't test the adaptive cruise naturally."

uh huh....I ran over someones foot once...they thought it was an accident... I played naive ;) He ticked me off and I KNEW I would be running over his foot when I pulled away... Well.... I did tell him him not to lean against my car...he didnt listen...

Was his foot ok or is this a joke.

His foot was fine, just swelled up for 2-3 days, I just got the tip, mainly the toes of it. Oh he had it coming to him, it wasn't just him leaning against my car...he was leaning to tell me how he beat up his girlfriend and trying to be all pompous adn obnoxious over it. So he had it coming to him ;)

His foot was fine, just swelled up for 2-3 days, I just got the tip, mainly the toes of it. Oh he had it coming to him, it wasn't just him leaning against my car...he was leaning to tell me how he beat up his girlfriend and trying to be all pompous adn obnoxious over it. So he had it coming to him ;)

well good work then...

I got to play with two Lincoln MKSs today .......

Negatard.

wait!

:cheerleader:

:D

sounds like it was a good look at the car. i thought that it was pretty damn nice when i saw it myself, but there will be no pleasing some people no matter how nice the car is. It really does have an awesome presence on the road though

Edited by Sixt9coug

They had a Red/Black Interior and Dark Blue/Camel interior versions at the event. For the life of me I can't escape the Red/Black version which is far from my ideal color combo.

I like the camel largely because it's two toned and comes exclusively with the light wood trim. Forgive me, I'm at work and would normally research the proper trim/color names. Sorry!

I feel bad harping on the controls after looking at the controls in my MKX and thinking how much easier the MKS layout is to use despite the homongenous button configuration. It may actually be easier to use in the real world. Ergonomics have improved dramatically in the MKS simply by placing everything higher on the dashboard. Ford is notoriously bad about placing controls low on the dashboard and my MKX is no exception.

Overall I adore the car but I think the MKX is still the best choice for me because it's a little more functional and I enjoy the higher seating position. The MKS will probably replace my MKZ depending on the pricing.

They had a Red/Black Interior and Dark Blue/Camel interior versions at the event. For the life of me I can't escape the Red/Black version which is far from my ideal color combo.

I like the camel largely because it's two toned and comes exclusively with the light wood trim. Forgive me, I'm at work and would normally research the proper trim/color names. Sorry!

I feel bad harping on the controls after looking at the controls in my MKX and thinking how much easier the MKS layout is to use despite the homongenous button configuration. It may actually be easier to use in the real world. Ergonomics have improved dramatically in the MKS simply by placing everything higher on the dashboard. Ford is notoriously bad about placing controls low on the dashboard and my MKX is no exception.

Overall I adore the car but I think the MKX is still the best choice for me because it's a little more functional and I enjoy the higher seating position. The MKS will probably replace my MKZ depending on the pricing.

I too am a light (tan) interior person, I prefer the two-tone look to the one color everywhere look.

I can't wait to see an MKS (and Flex) in person (at least at a dealer where I can sit it, look at in detail, etc.)

Not a big tan interior guy, but it does look pretty decent (much better than the crap that we see in the MKZ.

My exact thought as I stepped out of an MKS and into an MKZ a few weeks ago was "You've got to be kidding me." I was only so/so on the MKS interior until I sat in the MKZ. Christ.

My favorite color interior is actually the taupe colors. I have medium stone in my MKX and I had Dove/Stone in my Lincoln LS. The Lincoln MKS has "Cashmere" this time, a color I would normally prefer. However, I really like the blonde olive Ash in the light camel car much better than the dark ebony.

The MKZ needs a major interior renovation, I can't live with it anymore. The 2010 Fusion interior really has me worried that Lincoln will see a similar mediocre update and they will retain that god-awful boxy dual cockpit dashboard. I hope I'm wrong and they bring it inline with the much more tasteful MKX and MKS interior.

You'll notice in my pictures that the MKS event was well attended by the older crowd, but there were a few younger Lincoln owners such as myself checking it out. It was a very well attended event, only Lincoln owners were invited. Most of the people who arrived drove an MKX, MKZ, Navigator, or LS.

The Nav screen is amazing, very high resolution and it's in the RIGHT location for once. The colorful GUI is a big change, but I'm not sure it makes it more user friendly. I'm still concerned that the user interface is too elaborate for most consumers in this class of vehicle.

This vehicle is an amazing value, although I'm sold largely on it's next features which will probably migrate to the MKX and MKZ. I am hoping the next MKZ doesn't disappoint.

Here we go with the 'Fusion has a mediocre interior' nonsense. I mean seriously which car in this class goes over and beyond the call of duty with design and materials? How hard is it to reserve judgement until clearer or official pictures are rolled out?

I don't know if that was necessarily his point. I think he was saying more along the lines that he's disappointed that the overall design wasn't changed all that much, or at least as much as he expected. Now, I too hope that the MKZ's interior is redone to be more in line with the MKS and MKX interior designs. However, the MKZ's two pod design is related to Navigator's interior, which is not necessarily a desireable trait in a midsize sedan. That said, though, I think Lincoln interior (and exterior) design is definitely moving in the right direction.

I don't know if that was necessarily his point. I think he was saying more along the lines that he's disappointed that the overall design wasn't changed all that much, or at least as much as he expected. Now, I too hope that the MKZ's interior is redone to be more in line with the MKS and MKX interior designs. However, the MKZ's two pod design is related to Navigator's interior, which is not necessarily a desireable trait in a midsize sedan. That said, though, I think Lincoln interior (and exterior) design is definitely moving in the right direction.

Two questions:

1. What is the difference between MKZ and MKS? It was easier when there was TOWN CAR and MARK 7 and Continental.

2. What is the MPG? If it's the usual 17/24, they'll be discounting below cost to build before they even get off the ground.

Indeed, I mean that the update to the Fusion interior is not as dramatic as I expected but I am hoping for big change with the MKZ interior. If we are looking at a similar hardware update and little else, then the MKZ interior will retain it's least appealing interior feature, the dual cowl vertical dash design.