SVO Badge To Return To 2010 Ford Mustang

DetroitWonk

Supposedly, the high-po version of the new 'stang will be lighter and have a 300 HP ecoboost four-banger under the hood -- and the return of the SVO badge:

2010 Ford Mustang SVO

Ray

Mustang >>> :whipped: <<< Camaro

So let me get this straight... the current Mustang GT weighs about 3400 lbs or so. This means we'll have a 2900 lb, 300hp, RWD Mustang to buy?

My checkbook has become suddenly intrigued...

As has mine. I may just skip the new 2010 Fusion for the wife, give her my 08 Fusion, and buy one of those instead. Especially if the redesign is based off of this....

Garage 419 (whatever that is) heard from somebody that Ford is "considering it". If they were, it wouldn't be ready in 6 months.. :rolleyes:

id slam that engine (if this is even believable info) under every non mustang GT that i could...hell if it could get near 35mpg with this combo might as well kiss challenger and camros ass good by...of course it would be nice to still have the V6 eco boost available for those that desire..i never cared for the svo stang in the 80's..hopefully this proposal/concept does not take us back to those horrible years

id slam that engine (if this is even believable info) under every non mustang GT that i could...hell if it could get near 35mpg with this combo might as well kiss challenger and camros ass good by...of course it would be nice to still have the V6 eco boost available for those that desire..i never cared for the svo stang in the 80's..hopefully this proposal/concept does not take us back to those horrible years

The biggest issue with those old SVO's was the turbo lag. There are ways to compensate for that, and Mazda has pretty much figured them out as well as anybody. Even in the last 5 years, turbos have had less lag. If Ford can pull some knowledge from Mazda and get that turbo working right, and the price point isn't insane, this will be a winner. Imagine, bringing in two different camps of buyers - those who always wanted a Mustang, but always drove ricer Civics and MS3's.....

i never cared for the svo stang in the 80's..hopefully this proposal/concept does not take us back to those horrible years

What was so wrong with the SVO Mustang back in the day besides the price? It was a good car back then. I'd love to get one as a collector car today.

though I have to wonder why they are stuffing an I4 in it when they already have a 3.5L Ecoboost nearly ready for it...I dont see Ford offering 5 engines in the Mustang...a 3.5/3.7 unit, a Ecoboost I4 2.5L and 3.5L units and a 5.0L V8 and possibly a Ecoboost 5.0L for the GT500....

What was so wrong with the SVO Mustang back in the day besides the price? It was a good car back then. I'd love to get one as a collector car today.

though I have to wonder why they are stuffing an I4 in it when they already have a 3.5L Ecoboost nearly ready for it...I dont see Ford offering 5 engines in the Mustang...a 3.5/3.7 unit, a Ecoboost I4 2.5L and 3.5L units and a 5.0L V8 and possibly a Ecoboost 5.0L for the GT500....

Why not? SN95 had plenty of engines available within a short period of time.

3.8L OHV

4.6L SOHC

4.6L DOHC5.4L DOHC

4.6L DOHC S/C

This keeping in mind the EcoBoosts (all 3 of them) will likely be very low volume.

actually, that last year, the 3.8L was really the 3.9L (same as was stuffed into the freestar). And, the first year of the SN95 I believe still had the 5.0L OHV as well.

Does ANYBODY know what the ecoboost 4 banger will be? Blue II insisted for a while that it was a 2.0L, many many rumors have swirled about it being based on the 2.5L. The Explore america concept, I believe, demoed a 2.0L EB as the base engine. Given what Audi manages to extract from their direct injected turbo 4 bangers, a 2.0L EB making 300 HP isn't beyond the realm of possiblities.

I have to wonder, though, what is really more economical/efficient to put under the hood of a mustang. An EB 2.0L 4 banger will not be amazingly lighter than a naturally aspirated 3.5L/3.7L v6 that's equipped with GDI (if at all, we're talking nice twin scroll turbo, intercooler, plumbing, etc). Both can be tuned to deliver between 275 and 300 HP with not too much difficulty. Both will develop similar torque. The 3.5/3.7L will not have any turbo lag. The EB 2.0L might get slightly better highway mpg. The v6 could potentially get better mpg in the city. Both powerplants will cost about the same. Honestly, which would you prefer?

So let me get this straight... the current Mustang GT weighs about 3400 lbs or so. This means we'll have a 2900 lb, 300hp, RWD Mustang to buy?

2900 lbs? The day that happens is the day Mickey Mouse becomes Ford's CEO.

actually, that last year, the 3.8L was really the 3.9L (same as was stuffed into the freestar). And, the first year of the SN95 I believe still had the 5.0L OHV as well.

Does ANYBODY know what the ecoboost 4 banger will be? Blue II insisted for a while that it was a 2.0L, many many rumors have swirled about it being based on the 2.5L. The Explore america concept, I believe, demoed a 2.0L EB as the base engine. Given what Audi manages to extract from their direct injected turbo 4 bangers, a 2.0L EB making 300 HP isn't beyond the realm of possiblities.

I have to wonder, though, what is really more economical/efficient to put under the hood of a mustang. An EB 2.0L 4 banger will not be amazingly lighter than a naturally aspirated 3.5L/3.7L v6 that's equipped with GDI (if at all, we're talking nice twin scroll turbo, intercooler, plumbing, etc). Both can be tuned to deliver between 275 and 300 HP with not too much difficulty. Both will develop similar torque. The 3.5/3.7L will not have any turbo lag. The EB 2.0L might get slightly better highway mpg. The v6 could potentially get better mpg in the city. Both powerplants will cost about the same. Honestly, which would you prefer?

There are three, 1.6 EB, 2.0 EB, and 2.5 EB. A bunch of vehicles will get them.

There are three, 1.6 EB, 2.0 EB, and 2.5 EB. A bunch of vehicles will get them.

IMO the SVO ( and I called it ) should have at LEAST 350hp.......and thinking just substituting a 4 banger for the eight will shave 500 lbs is wishful thinking......how many i dont know...300 maybe MAX

The thing I find least credible about this report is the fact that "SVO" is no longer even a functional organization within Ford....unless they want to call it the FRPP Mustang instead. Boy, that just rolls off the tongue, doesn't it?

I imagine its for nostalgic purposes, and not so much reflecting an organization.

A Shelby GT500 isn't REALLY made by Shelby.

The thing I find least credible about this report is the fact that "SVO" is no longer even a functional organization within Ford....unless they want to call it the FRPP Mustang instead. Boy, that just rolls off the tongue, doesn't it?

Well this also begs the question that the car will be called the SVT Mustang by mistake...then again what else could Ford call a highperformance I4 Mustang besides the SVO? Sprint?

Edited by silvrsvt

Well this also begs the question that the car will be called the SVT Mustang by mistake...then again what else could Ford call a highperformance I4 Mustang besides the SVO? Sprint?

You don't have to call it anything different at all. It could still be a Mustang GT. After all, there was a time when the 2.3 Turbo and 5.0 were both simultaneously available as motivation under the hood of a regular old Mustang GT.