Mercury death canceled

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Make the Mondeo look like the one sold in Europe, and watch Fusion sales plummet.

I doubt they'd plummet, but at the same time, I doubt it would do anything to help either....except for the interior -- you must admit that is heads and tails superior to the Fusion's.

I love all this Mercury chatter w/o one mention of the best selling Mercury ever, but please, continue.

All this says to me is that they will continue neglecting the GMQ and come up with yet another marketing campaign since the latest one at women is a flop.

No GMQ = No Mercury :ohsnap:

The Grand Marquis is dead. Gone, extinct, deceased, muerte, pushing up daisies, six feet under.

Mercury will live on without the Grand Marquis. It's a relic that will join Electra, Polara, Ninety Eight, Fleetwood, Gran Fury, Caprice, Kingswood, Custom Cruiser, and all the other full-size BOF land yachts in the graveyard.

Get over it already.

BTW the Kuga is one fine vehicle inside and out. Interior materials are top notch, very nice seats, and exterior looks mucho better then pics.

Lots of nice details, well put together, but have not had a chance test drive.

Too bad it looks too much like a RAV4 for my likes. I perfer the 08+ Escape styling

Best sales years for Mercury was 60's and 70's and Grand Marq wasnt available until 75, and then it was just a trim level. So, "of all time" doesnt apply. I'd say maybe the Monterey, Comet, or Cougars of the 60's sold in much higher #'s.

Merc stays so Ford can sell to some who refuse to have a 'Ford' brand on it, such as GM's Saturn and Scion. But, don't expect 70's style velour/vinyl topped buses.

The Grand Marquis is dead. Gone, extinct, deceased, muerte, pushing up daisies, six feet under.

Mercury will live on without the Grand Marquis. It's a relic that will join Electra, Polara, Ninety Eight, Fleetwood, Gran Fury, Caprice, Kingswood, Custom Cruiser, and all the other full-size BOF land yachts in the graveyard.

Get over it already.

Not quite - we still have a couple of model years left to buy one. I plan on ordering one in it's last model year.

It has outlived my Lincoln/Mercury dealer, and, before Ford decided to take Mercury downmarket by selling little crackerbox cars, I was convinced the Grand Marquis would still be sold up until the day Ford closed the Mercury division in 2011.

They will also be available in the used car market for years to come, so that is a valid option with a long lasting vehicle like the Grand Marquis.

Every time I walk into my L/M dealership and a GM is sitting on the showroom floor...... I feel 25 years younger. :hysterical:

I look around to see if they have any vans with shag carpet for sale. Talk about some good times!! :happy feet: :happy feet: :hysterical:

Every time I walk into my L/M dealership and a GM is sitting on the showroom floor...... I feel 25 years younger. :hysterical:

I look around to see if they have any vans with shag carpet for sale. Talk about some good times!! :happy feet: :happy feet: :hysterical:

You see Grand Marquis at your dealership? I haven't seen one at my Lincoln dealership EVER! The GM is very much a regional product, sells horrible in the Midwest because it's notoriously awful in snow. The Town Car is also a very rare sight, unless it's a ghetto cruiser. Can you believe they sell a car at the price range without AWD? You can get a Fusion with AWD but not in a $48K Lincoln, give me a break! The MKS will easily replace the TC at the retail end of things.

Edited by BORG

I doubt they'd plummet, but at the same time, I doubt it would do anything to help either....except for the interior -- you must admit that is heads and tails superior to the Fusion's.

Since I've never seen the EOF Mondeo in person, I have no idea whether it's interior is superior to that of the US Fusion. Pictures almost never convey the quality level and feel of an interior. What looks good in a photo might look like Mattel in person. Euro car mags are famous for their gushing approval of things made east of the big pond and their utter contempt of anything that comes from NA, so I don't put much faith in their assessment. Anyway, the Fusion's interior as we know it has only about 6 more months to live and then a new one arrives.

• 2 weeks later...
Since I've never seen the EOF Mondeo in person, I have no idea whether it's interior is superior to that of the US Fusion. Pictures almost never convey the quality level and feel of an interior. What looks good in a photo might look like Mattel in person. Euro car mags are famous for their gushing approval of things made east of the big pond and their utter contempt of anything that comes from NA, so I don't put much faith in their assessment. Anyway, the Fusion's interior as we know it has only about 6 more months to live and then a new one arrives.

I have been in both; the Mondeo IS better.

Get over it already.

I didn't catch this before. You might just want to take a second look under that Polara and Gran Fury.

Hint: unitized construction - aka front subframe, no full frame.

Edited by syrtran