Ford's Accelerated Product Plan

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some interesting tidbits in the release....

Mercury stays and picks up a small car in 2010, but apparently looses the Sable and Mountaineer

Ranger stays until 2011, no mention of the F-100 or subsequent products.

The MKT will be a 7-seater

Fiesta and Focus will be 4 door and 5 door only, 3-doors out.

They promise a bunch of C1 cars from Europe, and one 'White Space' car....hmmm? Otherwise, very little specific beyond what we know, just a more firm time frame on when to expect the Focus and the unnamed C1 counterparts.

Edited by BORG

Some interesting tidbits in the release....

Mercury stays and picks up a small car in 2010, but apparently looses the Sable and Mountaineer

I'm assuming you say this because they refer to new Taurus and Explorer, but leave the others out.

Unfortunate.

I know many don't share my preference, but I've always thought the (current) Sable and Milan to be the more attractive vehicles.

Skip reading the long-winded press release.

The Plan:

A few trucks, and everything else rebadged overseas products built by guys making $14 an hour.

If you are a automobile platform engineer in North America, your services are no longer required.

I'm assuming you say this because they refer to new Taurus and Explorer, but leave the others out.

Unfortunate.

I know many don't share my preference, but I've always thought the (current) Sable and Milan to be the more attractive vehicles.

Yes, although I'm not discounting the Mountaineer yet, but the Sable is probably out this close to the unveil. If Ford can't admit they'll have a Sable with the new Taurus in less than a year, it's safe to assume it will be gone.

Long version including 2nd financials

The interesting stuff starts on slide 33.

Highlights that I saw include

* 2010MY Taurus (intro mid-2009) will have V6 EcoBoost

* 2010MY Licoln CUV (MKT, intro mid-2009) will have V6 EcoBoost

* NO I4 ECOBOOST ANYTHING UNTIL 2010CY (i.e. 2011MY; this 1 year earlier than I predicted !!!)

* New Focus in 2010 (2011MY)

* New Explorer in 2010 (2011MY)

* New small car in 2010 (2011MY; in addition to Fiesta and Focus)

* New small Mercury in 2010 (2011MY)

* MTP shutdown in December of 2008; resume production 2010

* 4 van platforms (E-Series, E-Series Super duty, Transit FWD and RWD) to merge to 1 (likely Transit RWD; I don't like this)

* CD3, CD3-2 and EUCD to merge to 1 platform.

This caught my eye too. I wonder what this "whitespace" vehicle is?

Probably the C-Max or something along that line.

My Favorite line was "Ford, Lincoln and Mercury lineup to be almost completely upgraded by end of 2010" with almost being the keyword -- everything early said "completely new by end of 2010" -- then we realized that we should keep the Ranger, so everything will be new except for it -- I wonder if the Ranger will see any engine changes, Sync added etc over the next 2 years. They already need to add ESC and Side airbags to it.

This caught my eye too. I wonder what this "whitespace" vehicle is?

C-Max?

I found this to be interesting:

In addition to B- and C-sized small cars, the company’s Fusion- and Mondeo-sized C/D cars and utilities will be common globally. The same will be true for commercial vans.

Will the Econoline become the Transit, or will their be some all-new platform to support both the Econoline & Transit?

C-Max?

Will the Econoline become the Transit, or will their be some all-new platform to support both the Econoline & Transit?

Yeah, this is surprising, but very unclear. The E-Series is one of Ford's bestselling vehicles, I can't imagine this is going anywhere soon.

How are they expanding their line-up when they won't even give us the 3 door Fiesta/focus? All this proves is that they still don't get it, not long ago there were four different choices in focus bodystyles.

Most of that is stuff we already knew anyways..

How are they expanding their line-up when they won't even give us the 3 door Fiesta/focus? All this proves is that they still don't get it, not long ago there were four different choices in focus bodystyles.

Most of that is stuff we already knew anyways..

In 2000, the Focus was only a 3 door, 4 door & Wagon. They added the 5 door later on. Ford may add a 3 door Fiesta & Focus later on if the people start asking for it.

Long version including 2nd financials

The interesting stuff starts on slide 33.

Highlights that I saw include

* 4 van platforms (E-Series, E-Series Super duty, Transit FWD and RWD) to merge to 1 (likely Transit RWD; I don't like this)* CD3, CD3-2 and EUCD to merge to 1 platform.

Good point on this one. This is probably the oddest consolidation of those listed. I guess no more big engine vans, hello 2.5L or 3.5L EB or small diesel (which who knows, could filter into the cars in later years.)

Yes, although I'm not discounting the Mountaineer yet, but the Sable is probably out this close to the unveil. If Ford can't admit they'll have a Sable with the new Taurus in less than a year, it's safe to assume it will be gone.

I think the Sable is dead because they want to push people to buy an MKS or MKZ instead. The purpose of Mercury is to get people into the dealership or keep people in the dealership so that can sell more Lincolns.

I anticipate dropping both the Sable and Mountaineer, with this new direction for Mercury.

Mercury sells the small premium vehicles (Fiesta, Focus, Fusion, Escape/Kuga, Capri), and Lincoln sells the large premium vehicles (Edge, Fusion, Taurus, Flex, Expedition).

C-Max?

I think the whitespace vehicle could be either next generation C-Max. They need to greatly improve the styling. Make it a C-Max but with the Styling of a CUV or Small SUV. Maybe a smaller, cheaper Kuga in style.

The transit is would be due for redesign. Just design it for the both US and Europlean need. The current one only has Europe in mind. I would be happy if it is based on the current European design, but must start sharing parts with the F-Series. I hope they bring both the FWD and RWD version to USA. FWD might be a sales flop? But could fill a spot in the market.

The C-Max needs to be here just as it is. With the Focus wagon and 5-door gone, their is nothing to buy from Ford. C1 or built from the C170 I don't care, it's for the wife.

DRyanC

You want it as is so you can get a good reliable car for a cheap prices. Ford needs to sell it and get an extra $500 to $1000 for it. It needs to look more like a Kuga to get that extra money. You know the C-Max is good. Everyone else depend on first impressions. The C-Max does not look that hot on first impressions.

The C-Max needs to be here just as it is. With the Focus wagon and 5-door gone, their is nothing to buy from Ford. C1 or built from the C170 I don't care, it's for the wife.

DRyanC

Ford announced the return of the 5-Door Focus in 2010 today....