• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't the plant contracted through 2010 or 2012?

It really doesn't matter. The negatards (ie: :cheerleader:) would much rather see the platform die and A LOT of people out of work than to have one (maybe the only one) of Ford's most profitable platforms keep making money for the company.

Isn't the plant contracted through 2010 or 2012?

It really doesn't matter. The negatards (ie: :cheerleader:) would much rather see the platform die and A LOT of people out of work than to have one (maybe the only one) of Ford's most profitable platforms keep making money for the company.

OK P71, since I started this thread (because I saw this on another Ford website and I posted it here) I want to see the platform replaced since Ford has "walked away" from segments before and we all know what a mistake that is, but people are not lining up to buy Crown Victorias', Grand Marquis', or Town Cars' and fleets are starting to flee the panther chassis as fuel costs kill their bottom lines. I want Ford to replace these vehicles with a more efficient RWD chassis since there is still a market for it.

My local PD now has Chargers in the fleet whereas for years it was Crown Victoria exclusively......

My local paper just ran an article about our State Highway Patrol's budget and gas prices. They stated they ran a few test Impala V6's and had no appreciable MPG differences with it than the CV. I know they had at least one Charger test vehicle but it wasn't mentioned.

I've owned 2 panthers, but now own a Montego. Personally, I could care less if they dropped the panther for retail sales. I do not want them to drop it though for LEO work. Nothing beats the panther for it's overall package. Short term, I'd like to see them at least put the 6 speed in it. That might help mileage just enough to keep them coming. Long term, they need a new car worthy of the beating the LEO's put down to their cars.

So 2010 model year is when I should plan to order my last Mercury. Wait, that is 2011 model year.

The only issue is my 2002 Grand Marquis will only have about 130,000 miles in 2011, so that is about 4 years earlier than necessary. Maybe the wife will let me keep my old one as well.

In my opinion, Crown Vics are the ugliest cars in production. Their proportions are completely superfluous and relics of a primitive time. They are embarassements to Ford of NA.

I don't think they are really ugly, but their age definitely shows. Even though by most accounts they are still profitable, they are a grim reminder of just how behind the times American automakers are perceived to be. For that reason alone they should be axed.

In my opinion, Crown Vics are the ugliest cars in production. Their proportions are completely superfluous and relics of a primitive time. They are embarassements to Ford of NA.

You're entitled to your opinion, mine is I disagree.

I would have to give that award to the Flex.

OK P71, since I started this thread (because I saw this on another Ford website and I posted it here) I want to see the platform replaced since Ford has "walked away" from segments before and we all know what a mistake that is, but people are not lining up to buy Crown Victorias', Grand Marquis', or Town Cars' and fleets are starting to flee the panther chassis as fuel costs kill their bottom lines. I want Ford to replace these vehicles with a more efficient RWD chassis since there is still a market for it.

The fuel costs are not that much worse than a V6 Impala or V6 Charger. And once you factor in maintence, repair costs, etc...the fuel cost savings are eliminated.

And Ford does not have the ability to produce cars that can do what the Panthers do. They physically cannot do it.

My local PD now has Chargers in the fleet whereas for years it was Crown Victoria exclusively......

Trust me...they will go back to Vics. The Chargers have one HUGE, fundamental problem. They are a Chrysler product. And because of that, they are destined to spend all of their lives in the shop. There have already been news stories of departments switching back to Crown Vics...

Well, there are three possibilities. 1) The move to an evolution of the Falcon platform. STAP gets retooled for production of said platform and away we go.

2) They move to the GRWD (which itself may be an evolved falcon platform)

3) Ford cancels GRWD for North America and, instead, takes a hard look at the existing Panther platform, figures out how to lighten it, fit in a modern powertrain, and update its looks.

While it wouldn't burn up the marketplace, I can't imagine it not selling a bit better if they had only updated the looks and done the engineering to use the 3.7L version of the D35, coupled with a 6AT, as its base engine and the 4.6L 3V as the optional V8. But, I digress.

The only thing I wonder about is, what happens to the service vehicle industry when/if the Panther is put out to pasture? They aren't fond of the Impala, which is staying FWD. They aren't too impressed with the Charger due to its many compromises and less sturdy nature than the CV. I know that I'm seeing more and more agencies using 500s/Taurus' as non-persuit vehicles. (especially in federal service). Could there be a future for the D3s as service vehicles as well?