Chevy Cruze ready to go....

NickF1011

Yep, the Autoweek article says it's a 2011 model. It looks decent, better than the current Focus IMO. We'll see how it stacks up to the all-new Focus which will hopefully be ready before the Cruze starts production.

Looks like the Cruze and Focus will be launching at around the same time. I hope the Focus can best this effort though. If it doesn't, I don't think Ford is trying very hard.

I really like that new Fascia, very distinctive and substantial with great architecture. I actually like this fascia much better than the Malibu. The rear fascia is a little haphazard, but not awful. The body looks great but I hate faux windows! STOP THE INSANITY! At least the Focus has a REAL window!

Certainly better looking than the Focus which has a wimpy looking fascia by comparison, but I like the rest of the Focus design better.

Here is a comparison, notice the Cruze has a similar take on the headlamp design.

cru1.jpg

2008-Ford-Focus-50.jpg

Edited by BORG

If the current Aveo and Cobalt are any indication, no it won't.

"We're also told the new 2011 Chevy Cruze will get three engines when it launches in Europe in March of 2009; a 16-valve, 1.6-liter (112 hp) and 1.8-liter (140 hp) gasoline engine, plus a new 2.0-liter turbo diesel (150 HP). All will be mated to either a five-speed manual or a class-leading six-speed automatic transmission. No official word yet on fuel economy -- but we've been told in the past we should expect somewhere near 45 MPG. We like. Hit the jump for the full press release."

The NA version may be closer to 40 MPG.

"We're also told the new 2011 Chevy Cruze will get three engines when it launches in Europe in March of 2009; a 16-valve, 1.6-liter (112 hp) and 1.8-liter (140 hp) gasoline engine, plus a new 2.0-liter turbo diesel (150 HP). All will be mated to either a five-speed manual or a class-leading six-speed automatic transmission. No official word yet on fuel economy -- but we've been told in the past we should expect somewhere near 45 MPG. We like. Hit the jump for the full press release."

I would assume their estimate of 45 MPG was for the turbo diesel, which the United States won't be getting. Maybe 35-36 MPG from the gas engines would be my guess.

EDIT: Reading a news story on MSNBC, they made mention of a new 1.4 engine that will be used in the Cruze in the US. Looks like it won't be seeing any of the euro engines.

Edited by NickF1011

I really like that new Fascia, very distinctive and substantial with great architecture. I actually like this fascia much better than the Malibu. The rear fascia is a little haphazard, but not awful. The body looks great but I hate faux windows! STOP THE INSANITY! At least the Focus has a REAL window!

Certainly better looking than the Focus which has a wimpy looking fascia by comparison, but I like the rest of the Focus design better.

Here is a comparison, notice the Cruze has a similar take on the headlamp design.

cru1.jpg

2008-Ford-Focus-50.jpg

ugly and uglier....Cruze front on is frowning........

If the little Aveo only gets 34 mpg, how the hell is the bigger Cruz going to get over 40mpg. I don't get it. A 6 speed auto gives you about 7% better gas mileage and a more areodynamic shape maybe 5%. GM must be going to a very small displacement engine to have any chance for 40mpg. The Yaris and Fit get nowhere near 40mpg, and the new Fiesta is reputed to get 39mpg maybe. The Cruz is a C segment vehicle, not a B segment vehicle like the Fiesta. GM is making a big claim and I hope they can back it up when the Cruz does come out.

If the little Aveo only gets 34 mpg, how the hell is the bigger Cruz going to get over 40mpg. I don't get it. A 6 speed auto gives you about 7% better gas mileage and a more areodynamic shape maybe 5%. GM must be going to a very small displacement engine to have any chance for 40mpg. The Yaris and Fit get nowhere near 40mpg, and the new Fiesta is reputed to get 39mpg maybe. The Cruz is a C segment vehicle, not a B segment vehicle like the Fiesta. GM is making a big claim and I hope they can back it up when the Cruz does come out.

Supposed to have a 1.4L direct-injection turbo. The Cobalt's already at 37 hwy EPA (better than the Aveo, actually), so 40 shouldn't be that hard a target to hit.

The only Cobalt that gets 37 MPG is the manual trans XFE. The automatic Cobalt only gets 33 highway.

So they make a Cruze XFE, give it a six speed, a 1.4L DI Turbo engine, low rolling resistance tires, and fine tune the aerodynamics..I don't see 40 all that hard to get. It might not be the base model, but it's possible.

This would sell really well.

Edited by MERKURXR4Ti

So they make a Cruze XFE, give it a six speed, a 1.4L DI Turbo engine, low rolling resistance tires, and fine tune the aerodynamics..I don't see 40 all that hard to get. It might not be the base model, but it's possible.

This would sell really well.

If it has a manual of any sort, it will sell like crap, even if it gets 40 mpg. I'm sure there will be an XFE and 40 mpg is a real possibility...it just won't be the volume model, just as it isn't for the Cobalt.

If it has a manual of any sort, it will sell like crap, even if it gets 40 mpg. I'm sure there will be an XFE and 40 mpg is a real possibility...it just won't be the volume model, just as it isn't for the Cobalt.

I agree that most people won't buy a high mileage XFE in a manual; meaning one less car will offer one in the future (unfortunately).

Though since it comes with a 6spd auto in Europe, that would most likely be the choice.

I bet the current cobalt XFE is only manual because it's that or a 4spd? and GM didn't have time to stick a 6spd auto in there.

Though as you said, still not the volume (base) model, I doubt any DI Turbo engine will reside in a base model (inexpensive) compact for some time. But with a 6spd and a retuned 4cyl, the base should still be close to 40.

Edited by MERKURXR4Ti