August Sales Focus and Escape winners

Ford Jellymoulds

Please, give us all a break from your misleading percentages.

Thank you.

Sorry but thats the way Autoblog report it Nick so will every other website including Ford USA why is it you don't like them doing this?

Poor sales continued through the month of August as only a handful of brands are able to brag about increased sales. Nissan North America bucked the trend entirely reporting a 13.6% gain for the combined brands of Nissan and Infiniti with each marque reporting its own individual increases. Credit goes to VW (2.9%), as well, which posted a solid number, and the BMW Group (1.0%), which barely earned a positive increase in sales thanks to a strong 34.1% increase in MINI sales.

While GM (-20.4%), FoMoCo (-25.6%) and Chrysler LLC (-34.5%) sales were all down in a big way, Toyota MoCo and Honda America were also not immune falling 9.4% and 7.3%, respectively. In this environment, brands should consider a single-digit drop a small victory considering the majority of brands that fell by 10% or more.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry but thats the way Autoblog report it like that Nick.

Poor sales continued through the month of August as only a handful of brands are able to brag about increased sales. Nissan North America bucked the trend entirely reporting a 13.6% gain for the combined brands of Nissan and Infiniti with each marque reporting its own individual increases. Credit goes to VW (2.9%), as well, which posted a solid number, and the BMW Group (1.0%), which barely earned a positive increase in sales thanks to a strong 34.1% increase in MINI sales.

While GM (-20.4%), FoMoCo (-25.6%) and Chrysler LLC (-34.5%) sales were all down in a big way, Toyota MoCo and Honda America were also not immune falling 9.4% and 7.3%, respectively. In this environment, brands should consider a single-digit drop a small victory considering the majority of brands that fell by 10% or more.

realize the domestics big sellers #'s losses are grossly inflated due to the decline in sales of their bread and butter....pickups....which in Fords case has been the #1 selling VEHICLE in the world for a LONG period of time...god bless gas crunch panic.....

Consumers are Morons -- they do things because other people do things from voting to owning a car.

There was this woman that had a 3 year old Saab SUV and she wanted to trade it in on a Honda to save gas. It will take her 52years of driving to save the money on gas driving the Accord for what she was upside down on the SUV, but she didn't care, in her mind she was saving money trading it in.

lol i saw that as well, people like to blame our government for their misfortune when they are the sole reason for it

her reason was that it would cost less to fill up, yet cost more to pay for the vehicle....people can really be dumb so do not overestimate them

realize the domestics big sellers #'s losses are grossly inflated due to the decline in sales of their bread and butter....pickups....which in Fords case has been the #1 selling VEHICLE in the world for a LONG period of time...god bless gas crunch panic.....

But Fords car sales have dropped -26.6% as well which is piss poor Ford sold 155,690 in 2008 Units compared to 212,120 in 2007.

Europe's economy is now starting to dip downward as the credit crunch is started to bite like yours did some time ago, our government has already said this downturn will last 2-4 years in the UK so FOE sales will start to dip big from now on, and folk over here will turn to the most fuel efficient vehicles as here as well.

So the VW, French, GM and Fords small ecoboxes will pick up the sales, diesels cars are the only reason Toyota's & Honda don't get much of a look in Europe when it comes to selling cars apart from a few most Jap cars are considered gas guzzlers over here.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

But Fords car sales have dropped -26.6% as well which is piss poor Ford sold 155,690 in 2008 Units compared to 212,120 in 2007.

Europe's economy is now starting to dip downward as the credit crunch is started to bite like yours did some time ago, our government has already said this downturn will last 2-4 years in the UK so FOE sales will start to dip big from now on, and folk over here will turn to the most fuel efficient vehicles as here as well.

So the VW, French, GM and Fords small ecoboxes will pick up the sales, diesels cars are the only reason Toyota's & Honda don't get much of a look in Europe when it comes to selling cars apart from a few most Jap cars are considered gas guzzlers over here.

I suppose that 31% reduction if fleet sales means nothing.

Ford had employee pricing 60 days ago....GM is tons better marketing their employee pricing to the public...that's 50% of Ford's problem...MARKETING and ADVERTISING.

so employee pricing = approx 1800 below invoice no special rates i beleive ...amybe 3.9...Fords program on the F-150 is 3000 WITH 2.90...hmmmm, still think GM's employee pricing is a great deal? ALL manufacturers programs break down to being pretty similar...ESPECIALLY Fords and chevy.....

Edited by Deanh

Ford had employee pricing 60 days ago....GM is tons better marketing their employee pricing to the public...that's 50% of Ford's problem...MARKETING and ADVERTISING.

Making cars that folk want to buy, and that they can afford to fill up in a downturn might be more help. Marketing and advertsing has never made me buy anything and never will.

Sorry but thats the way Autoblog report it Nick so will every other website including Ford USA why is it you don't like them doing this?

Ford also provides units sold data. Put it in perspective here. Mini's entire lineup is still selling 1/4 of what F-series sells by itself.

I have no problem with percentages. Just use them in context.

I'm sure it has had some influence.

triple edged sword...there are those that buy based on desire ( emotional buy usually exceptionally picky) , those that base their decision purely on incentives ( bottom line best deal ad shoppers ) and those that weigh both....( easiest to deal with and usually the happiest customers )

Another shoddy month for Volvo and Flex sales nowhere near where they should be. Why didn't Ford ship in the BRILLIANT S-Max and avoid the development costs for the Flex? And why keep Volvo when overall JLR sales are rising whilst Volvo is dropping. Flex was a brave idea but ultimately fruitless. High Euro, falling pound, bad bad move keeping Volvo instead of JLR which now enjoys the plumeting pound.

Rubbish results... Alan Mullaly must do better! Won't make me popular but the numbers don't lie nor do the profits.

Another shoddy month for Volvo and Flex sales nowhere near where they should be. Why didn't Ford ship in the BRILLIANT S-Max and avoid the development costs for the Flex? And why keep Volvo when overall JLR sales are rising whilst Volvo is dropping. Flex was a brave idea but ultimately fruitless. High Euro, falling pound, bad bad move keeping Volvo instead of JLR which now enjoys the plumeting pound.

Rubbish results... Alan Mullaly must do better! Won't make me popular but the numbers don't lie nor do the profits.

like I have stated before...interest is picking up on the Flex...we sold 3 over the weekend....will you stop. KEEP YOUR S_MAX.....we will take the Kuga though.

Edited by Deanh

They are also ratcheting up incentives in the retail arena. There was a recent article on Edmunds.com that stated "Nissan bought marketshare in July". Evidence suggests that the same thing took place in August.

Of course, one didn't really need to read the article to summize that they were giving the farm away when each of their truck models were up in July year over year. This coming on the heals of 10 months in a row of negative year over year comparisons. Without any new models being release it smelled of incentivized sales. However, they must have found a unique and effective approach since everybody has been pushing up the incentives on trucks the last couple of months.

Edmunds is also stating that Nissan is getting very close to the big 3 in amount of incentives per sale. They are only $1,000 less than Ford, $1,500 less than GM and $8,500 less than Chrysler. JK on the Chrysler. They are really about $2,200 less than Chrysler.

Agreed. When I first read the numbers, I knew it had to be heavy incentives. Everyone elses truck sales are in the toilet, unless you give them away (GM). The V6 Frontier uses the same V6 in my Xterra, and while it is an awesome engine, it swallows fuel like crazy. I havn't seen one day of 20+ MPG since I had the vehicle. The 4 cylinder Frontiers are 17-20mpg (for the 4x2), so the incentives must be recoculous to move these trucks right now (or a MASSIVE fleet sale).

Well the Flex is a wash for this year. Maybe when people have some more money next year they will look at it.

As for the Fusion that needs updates bad. It is now time to win over people, and the better car they can roll out, the more established this new comer can become.

When is the Edge getting a significant update? ie body/styling? Or getting Hybrid?

like I have stated before...interest is picking up on the Flex...we sold 3 over the weekend....will you stop. KEEP YOUR S_MAX.....we will take the Kuga though.

Wow you like the Kuga? Is'nt it too small for the US? As for the Flex I'm still fascinated by this brave styling direction by Ford. But I just think the S-Max would have been safer.

Wow you like the Kuga? Is'nt it too small for the US? As for the Flex I'm still fascinated by this brave styling direction by Ford. But I just think the S-Max would have been safer.

Kuga is a great replacement for the Escape...Flex will do fine, its launch parralelles the Edge...took 3 months for it to garner buyers interest....albiet that was in better economic times....

Well the Flex is a wash for this year. Maybe when people have some more money next year they will look at it.

Flex is overpriced. Put the same incentives (or just drop the price by) the Edge has right now on the Flex, and sales might pick up. Hell, I have A-Plan, and STILL think it's overpriced.

Flex is overpriced. Put the same incentives (or just drop the price by) the Edge has right now on the Flex, and sales might pick up. Hell, I have A-Plan, and STILL think it's overpriced.

yup must be able to get a 7 passenger for the price of a 5 passenger....and yeah 26-27k A plan is a little steep for some.........no doubt incentives like the 2.9 that are on it right NOW....and reasonable leses like they have NOW.....will help.....man I get tired of Champagne tastes 's and beer budget bleating

Edited by Deanh

Kuga is a great replacement for the Escape...Flex will do fine, its launch parralelles the Edge...took 3 months for it to garner buyers interest....albiet that was in better economic times....

The Escape does not need a replacement. It is fine for the forseable future.

Now if you want to slot in a Kuga under the Escape ala the Fiesta under the Focus, now you're talking.

But don't expect the Kuga to come here and solve all our problems.

The Escape does not need a replacement. It is fine for the forseable future.

Now if you want to slot in a Kuga under the Escape ala the Fiesta under the Focus, now you're talking.

But don't expect the Kuga to come here and solve all our problems.

no problems here at all w the escape...but Kuga apparently IS slotted as its replacement....from what I have heard it is similar in size as well....

no problems here at all w the escape...but Kuga apparently IS slotted as its replacement....from what I have heard it is similar in size as well....

I though it was a bit smaller.

Or they could share parts to bring the cost down in the meantime.

Oh keep the name too.

I though it was a bit smaller.

Or they could share parts to bring the cost down in the meantime.

Oh keep the name too.

truthfully size wize I am not sure, i think they are pretty similar...and all is heresay until it happens anyways...kuga has been getting rave reveiws...but Escape seems to be holding its own sales wise...so this could be a REALLY smooth transition...no rushing is really necessary

Edited by Deanh