August Sales Focus and Escape winners

Ford Jellymoulds

DEARBORN, Mich., September 3, 2008 – Higher demand for the fuel-efficient Ford Focus and Ford Escape continued in August, as consumers continued moving to smaller and more fuel-efficient vehicles.

Ford Focus sales were up 23 percent and Escape sales were up 17 percent versus a year ago, while the impact of a weak economy and lower demand for large trucks and SUVs resulted in double-digit sales declines for Ford and the auto industry.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Focus and Escape are really it for the Ford brand right now. Yuck. Although, the Mustang continues to show surprisingly strong sales in this climate.

MKS is doing relatively well for Lincoln.

Mercury is dead in the water.

WTF happened to Volvo? Yikes!

Overall, another crap month for Ford. Yay.

I see no bright spots in that depressing August sales report. Fusion sales tanked along with Milan and Ford trucks did even worse than July if that was possible. Ford can't get the 2010 Fusion to market quick enough as it looks like most are waiting or buying another mid sized vehicle. We will have to see all the other sales reports, but this looks very bad on the face of it. I saw that Nissan sales were way up for August and over 100,000 vehicle with Nissan truck sales doing better. I'm very disappointed with Ford and their 4,000 dealers that seem to have nothing up their sleeve to improve sales. Month after month of depressing sales numbers. I need to take a break and hopefully next year will be better as I can't take anymore of this deflating sales news from Ford. See ya next year.

I see no bright spots in that depressing August sales report. Fusion sales tanked along with Milan and Ford trucks did even worse than July if that was possible. Ford can't get the 2010 Fusion to market quick enough as it looks like most are waiting or buying another mid sized vehicle. We will have to see all the other sales reports, but this looks very bad on the face of it. I saw that Nissan sales were way up for August and over 100,000 vehicle with Nissan truck sales doing better. I'm very disappointed with Ford and their 4,000 dealers that seem to have nothing up their sleeve to improve sales. Month after month of depressing sales numbers. I need to take a break and hopefully next year will be better as I can't take anymore of this deflating sales news from Ford. See ya next year.

I guess I don't get how you can find any of this surprising. Until the economy picks up, and housing in particular picks up, there is going to be alot of this type of report.................. from all auto makers. Remember that the lack of leasing availability in trucks is also going to really hurt, especially in August, as this was the first month of this. You can probably expect some lender to see a need for a decent lease program, in the future, and come in to fill in the gap. However, until that happens, it is really going to hurt sales also.

In particular, I am surprised with how much restraint Ford is showing, in incentives. While they are fairly good on many products, if this was the old Ford, they would have seriously resorted to trying to buy marketshare again.................. aka GM.

The Explorer and Mountaineer are what look so bad -- Explorer is within 1800 units of the Expedition, and the Mountaineer isn't even selling 1,000 units a month. Volvo's models are getting way way way too old to be expected to sell of any volume. I wonder what the 0% at the end of the month did to prop up Edge and MKX sales.

I saw that Nissan sales were way up for August and over 100,000 vehicle with Nissan truck sales doing better.

Have you been by a rental car lot lately? Altima, Sentra, Versa and even a few new Maxima in the mix. Nissan is doing what the Big 3 have done in the past to post sales numbers, dumping into rental car fleet.

Have you been by a rental car lot lately?

I was in Orlando a couple weeks ago on vacation, and I think I found all of Chrysler's sales for the past couple of years down there in the rental fleets. Every model, especially the minivan. Lots of Toyota Sienna's and Nissan Altima's, too

Nissan is doing what the Big 3 have done in the past to post sales numbers, dumping into rental car fleet.

They are also ratcheting up incentives in the retail arena. There was a recent article on Edmunds.com that stated "Nissan bought marketshare in July". Evidence suggests that the same thing took place in August.

Of course, one didn't really need to read the article to summize that they were giving the farm away when each of their truck models were up in July year over year. This coming on the heals of 10 months in a row of negative year over year comparisons. Without any new models being release it smelled of incentivized sales. However, they must have found a unique and effective approach since everybody has been pushing up the incentives on trucks the last couple of months.

Edmunds is also stating that Nissan is getting very close to the big 3 in amount of incentives per sale. They are only $1,000 less than Ford, $1,500 less than GM and $8,500 less than Chrysler. JK on the Chrysler. They are really about $2,200 less than Chrysler.

What this really proves is that no one is buying anything. The few things they are buying are sold out. its like that for pretty much every one. Its a sad truth and I'm starting to wonder how many companies will survive this.

No, what this proves is there's absolutely no need to protect "Red, white and bold", since anything with Dave on it, besides the Edge, is selling like shit.

Edited by pcsario

i bought a used taurus x a couple weeks ago. i wanted to potentially lease new, but there are no leasing deals like there was before. i couldn't afford the new even with big incentives because the MSRP's are outrageously too high. edge, flex, taurus, tarus x, with any level of equipment, even with incentives, is way too high.

the manuf's need to adjust MSRP and bring back leasing if they want to move units in this challenging time.

in the meantime, the used car sales are through the roof. the dealer i bought from said they had best month ever and values on many models used are going up because people won't foot or can't foot for new.

Edited by regfootball

i bought a used taurus x a couple weeks ago. i wanted to potentially lease new, but there are no leasing deals like there was before. i couldn't afford the new even with big incentives because the MSRP's are outrageously too high. edge, flex, taurus, tarus x, with any level of equipment, even with incentives, is way too high.

the manuf's need to adjust MSRP and bring back leasing if they want to move units in this challenging time.

in the meantime, the used car sales are through the roof. the dealer i bought from said they had best month ever and values on many models used are going up because people won't foot or can't foot for new.

You bring up a good point about used car sales, considering that the credit market is tapped out along with the avg consumer being tapped out also, you have to wonder how people are going to afford more expesive cars that are out there.

Hmmm, still appear to be running lease deals in SoCal. Dean, care to chime in?