'O9 Expy and Nav in Production

FordBuyer

I was by Wayne Assembly today and noticed that MTP has started '09 Expy/Nav production with one of each on pedestal out front and a few hundred in holding lot nearby. Must have started this week. Looks like Ford will try to make maybe 10,000 or so until November when MTP closes as truck plant and tooling is shipped to KTP.

Also noticed that Wayne Assembly shows no signs of producing Focus Coupe as of yet. No coupes in holding lots nearby. I thought coupe production would have started by now, but I don't see evidence of it as of yet. That will hurt sales as new coupe could be decent seller with 17 inch newly designed wheels. Maybe production has started, but hiding them in back lots until cleared. I dunno know.

I didn't think the Focus was supposed to start until next week (I have Sep 8 in my head for some reason). So, I wouldn't worry yet. Ford was very smart about the changeover - the remainder of 2008s out there are predominantly coupes. There are a total of 3 2008 Focus sedans left in an area of 2 million people around here... and about 40 coupes still. The 2009s are hitting the lots though, and they look to be selling fairly quickly already.

Now, all the car needs is a slightly better pricing/bundling strategy, standard ABS and an optional six-speed transmission.

The closest dealer to me off-loaded 6 in the last two months after selling 1 in the previous 2 months. They weren't all at one time, so I'm not sure that it was all fleet. But they, for one, only have 2 Expy's left. There's still demand for 4000-5000/month for both, so 10,000 will only carry you 2-3 extra months - they probably need to produce something more like 20,000. Inventories on the Expy/Navigator are at about 3-4 months right now, I think. And the system will need that to cover the transition to Kentucky truck that will take 6 months.

Does anyone know if they'll resume production of the Expy/Nav with the 2010 models?

GREAT. Now those can rot next to my '08 Expeditions on the lot. F-Series sales are slow, but people ARE buying them, I can't say the same for the Expedition, though. I think we've sold 1 in the last 5-6 months. :doh:

Could the Expedition be done away with and something like a longer wheelbase Explorer substituted?

I can't see why, the Expy shares with the F-150 while the Explorer doesn't share it's platform with anything. It's the Explorer that's endangered, not the Expy.

The Expy will be getting the new 4.4L diesel with the F-150 and after new unibody Explorer comes out Expy will be only SUV left that can haul something like horse trailer with three horses. Once fuel prices moderate for awhile, Expy sales should normalize a little or enough to keep making them, no matter how limited. After November, there will be no more ONE plant devoted only to Expy/Nav production.

GREAT. Now those can rot next to my '08 Expeditions on the lot. F-Series sales are slow, but people ARE buying them, I can't say the same for the Expedition, though. I think we've sold 1 in the last 5-6 months. :doh:

I believe 09 Expy/Navis add SYNC to the options list though....that should help a little I would think.

I didn't think the Focus was supposed to start until next week (I have Sep 8 in my head for some reason). So, I wouldn't worry yet. Ford was very smart about the changeover - the remainder of 2008s out there are predominantly coupes. There are a total of 3 2008 Focus sedans left in an area of 2 million people around here... and about 40 coupes still. The 2009s are hitting the lots though, and they look to be selling fairly quickly already.

Now, all the car needs is a slightly better pricing/bundling strategy, standard ABS and an optional six-speed transmission.

We started building the 09 focus coupe on September 2. Currently only building 2 per hour right now