2010 Fusion/Milan/MKZ Job 1

BORG

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It might be happening now, I thought they where going to start making them in November/December...this the first car Ford has launched without the three month quaitly hold build on the cars before going to the dealerships

This whole product launch is very different for Ford, no 16-month lead up to the cars hitting dealer lots. I've never seen a Ford order guide released before the new car is debuted. The Mustang appears to be treated in the same way, although it looks like there will be a 5 month lead time as opposed to 3 Months.

How do you know there won't be a 3-month quality check? Is this a change in the quality control system Ford has in place? Ford has been consistently improving quality to class leadership over the past 4 years.

I recall someone mentioning that in order for a car to be considered a 2010 model, it has to be built in the CY2009 so I am assuming that the 2010 fusion can start being built on 1-1-09. Is this right?

It can be built in CY2008, it just can't be placed on sale until CY2009. So in theory a dealers could have inventory of the 2010 on the lots, but the vehicles would not be fore sale until 1-1-2009

My thinking is Job 1 is sometime in December.

There's never been a three month quality hold---as far as I know.

What has been explained to me is as follows:

- The line are not be ramped up to full speed until there have been five consecutive days of error free builds.

- Vehicles are 'batched and held' thus causing a longer delay between Job 1 and the first vehicles arriving on dealer lots than before this practice was instituted. Sample vehicles from the batch are subjected to analysis of varying degrees. Some will be given extensive 'shakedown' test drives. To the best of my knowledge, this process doesn't require three months, and it will be SOP at all Ford plants worldwide.

Additionally, mules/prototypes are done in this order:

- mules are, basically, hand built (this would be best exemplified by the unibody Explorer mule).

- One-off prototypes are assembled at the pilot assembly plant (using prototype sub assemblies from various suppliers)

- 'pre-production' prototypes are run down the assembly line at the plant that will be assembling the production run vehicle. Undoubtedly, the most recent Fusion/Milan/MKZ prototypes were assembled at Hermosillo, not the pilot assembly plant in Dearborn.

If anyone knows different, by all means, update this info.

Edited by RichardJensen

The timing chart the dealers get says the 2009 Job Last is 12/22/08. Job 1 on the 2010 (or changeover) will be 12/23/08. I believe the order banks are open on the non-hybrid units now. The Ford rep told my dealer that the Hybrid orders would not be accepted until after 1/1/09 (best guess).

- 'pre-production' prototypes are run down the assembly line at the plant that will be assembling the production run vehicle. Undoubtedly, the most recent Fusion/Milan/MKZ prototypes were assembled at Hermosillo, not the pilot assembly plant in Dearborn.

Speaking of which, a certain 1PP/VP V6 RWD Ford sedan goes down the production line this week. Bitter sweet emotions.

Edited by jpd80

Why, what's going on with the Falcon?

Well, answering this will veer this thread off base, but that always seems to be the case with BON, so:

jpd80 can add to this, but the time has come to replace the FoA I6 with the 3.5l V6 duratec.

It is bittersweet. The I6 has been around forever. It started as the original Falcon I6, but was dressed up over the years to the point (including new heads and overhead cams) where I'm guessing none of the parts are the same as the original engine.

The engine and its performance in the Falcon were a part of Ford's heritage in Oz. It is locally manufactured -- there is a casting facility, engine machining and assembly in Geelong. They can handle cast iron and aluminum. I'm assuming these facilities will be going down for the count when the import of 3.5's begins. Right, jpd? Or are they still stamping at Geelong also?

The I6 engine is symbolic of lessons that the rest of Ford could have learned if they were paying attention. How to do more with less. FoA has always found it difficult to maintain a separate Product Development and manufacturing presence, particularly considering the long, slow decline of the Falcon line in the face of increased competition. But, with a little money, they always found a way to keep the engine as modern as possible, and to provide some dynamite performance derivatives on a shoestring. The long stroke of this powertrain provided a lot of low-end torque which was ideal in a market where for a long time Falcon was the "everything" vehicle and IIRC where 50% of the Falcon customers used their cars to tow.

So this engine has been embedded in the fabric of FoA for over 45 years. But the 3.5l presents a compelling case for change in terms of emissions and performance.

My only regret is that FoA did not get an increment of 3.5 capacity, but concentrating volume is key to reducing costs, and shipping from Australia is not trivial.

...we now return you to Fusion <J1>........

2010 Job 1 all tentative

12/20/09 - Triplets, Friday is the last day to change a 2009 order.

2/2/09 - Mustang

4/8/09 - Transit Connect

5/11/09 - Taurus

6/1/09 - MKT

About time we hear something concrete about the Transit Connect! :yahoo: It has sort of dropped off the face of the planet lately.

My only regret is that FoA did not get an increment of 3.5 capacity, but concentrating volume is key to reducing costs, and shipping from Australia is not trivial.

...we now return you to Fusion <J1>........

New version of 3.7 litre V6.

Sad point is that 2 months ago, Aussie dollar was US98 cents abut today it is expected to be under US60 cents

which makes those imported D37 V6s pretty expensive by comparison with the I-6.

Bridges have been burned with suppliers, too late to turn back even if they wanted to - long term supply agreements were torn up.

Oh well at least we'll have a RWD Falcon until 2013, beyond then who knows.

The Falcon has been going to a FWD Taurus since 1996, the old girl is hard to kill especially if gas prices ease.:)

On Topic,

Those mules (photos of the new Fusion) look great IMO, a worthy successor if we went FWD.

Edited by jpd80

Sad point is that 2 months ago, Aussie dollar was US98 cents abut today it is expected to be under US60 cents

Bridges have been burned with suppliers, too late to turn back even if they wanted to - long term supply agreements were torn up.

Oh well at least we'll have a RWD Falcon until 2013, beyond then who knows.

The Falcon has been going to a FWD Taurus since 1996, the old girl is hard to kill especially if gas prices ease.:)

On Topic,

Those mules (photos of the new Fusion) look great IMO, a worthy successor if we went FWD.

Wasn't there a regulatory driver for the demise of the I-6? Couldn't meet emissions standards or some such?

Wasn't there a regulatory driver for the demise of the I-6? Couldn't meet emissions standards or some such?

That's right, but it's something they could engineer around if they wanted too. Going to a global engine is likely more cost efficient, and in the long run is a better decision in light of shared platforms.

I'm sure they took future exchange rates into account; the US dollar wasn't going to stay undervalued against everything forever.

I'm sure they took future exchange rates into account; the US dollar wasn't going to stay undervalued against everything forever.

Probably but I was hoping to come over to the USA this time next year,

guess I'll have to sell my spare kidney but you guys are woth it.:)

Edited by jpd80

2010 Job 1 all tentative

12/20/09 - Triplets, Friday is the last day to change a 2009 order.

2/2/09 - Mustang

4/8/09 - Transit Connect

5/11/09 - Taurus

6/1/09 - MKT

Wow thats the first time I've seen the MKT get a Job 1 date! Thanks! Any word on the 2010 Flex Job 1 date? The 2010 MKS Job 1 is the same as the new 2010 Taurus (last I read) so I was wondering if they'd push the model year up on the Flex too to coincide with the new optional EB 3.5 V6.

Wow thats the first time I've seen the MKT get a Job 1 date! Thanks! Any word on the 2010 Flex Job 1 date? The 2010 MKS Job 1 is the same as the new 2010 Taurus (last I read) so I was wondering if they'd push the model year up on the Flex too to coincide with the new optional EB 3.5 V6.

MKT, Edge, MKX, Flex are all the same day.