If you were expecting bipartisanship

RangerM

From NBC's Andrea Mitchell

A senior Obama advisor confirms to NBC News that Illinois Rep. Rahm Emanuel has accepted the job of Chief of Staff for the Obama White House.

KISS THE RING

He's the new kingmaker of the Democratic party. The man who handpicked candidates, twisted arms, crushed dissent, and delivered the nation from one-party rule. So what does the Clinton vet and former ballet dancer plan to do with all that power?

As the returns come in, I ask Rahm what he will say tonight when it's his turn to address the cameras. "I'm working on it right now," he says, pointing to some papers. He offers to read it to me. Then a strange thing happens. Rahm Emanuel turns solemn and self-conscious. He sits up in his chair and holds the pages of his text a few inches from the table. The remarks are election-night pabulum, but he reads them slowly, earnestly, as if for the first time he realizes that the payoff from all the attack ads and fund-raising calls and fuck-you's is that the rule of one party is ending and that his party, the one that was kicked out of power because his crowd couldn't shoot straight in 1994, will now be in charge.

"It's been said," he starts haltingly, "that Washington's often the last place in America to get the news. So let me tell you tonight, the news has arrived. From every corner of our country, the American people have sent a resounding, unmistakable message of change. We accept your votes, not as a victory for our party but as an opportunity for our country. And we humbly accept your challenge. It is almost a poignant moment, a flash of the sensitive guy that Rahm's aides have been telling me lurks beneath the Chicago tough-guy exterior.

But then it is gone in a flash, and with it the peacemaking pretensions. A little later, when CNN projects that Democrats will take back the House, Rahm climbs onto a desk and addresses his staff¬. "The Republicans," he yells, "can go fuck themselves!"

(GQ, January, 2007)

I know some are elated today, and I don't blame your overwhelming (and justified) joy, but for others, today's announcement is an indication of possible things to come.

To the victor, goes the spoils.

Edited by RangerM

A senior Obama advisor confirms to NBC News that Illinois Rep. Rahm Emanuel has accepted the job of Chief of Staff for the Obama White House.

I know some are elated today, and I don't blame your overwhelming (and justified) joy, but for others, today's announcement is an indication of possible things to come.

seriously i am at peace with this....just going to take advantage of every handout that i can..in 6 months many who thought of getting free money will see reality of their ways....serious question is what is going to be left after this...not sure i can answer that question right now myself...have to wait and see how far they push and what they reaction will be.....

seriously i am at peace with this....just going to take advantage of every handout that i can..in 6 months many who thought of getting free money will see reality of their ways....serious question is what is going to be left after this...not sure i can answer that question right now myself...have to wait and see how far they push and what they reaction will be.....

Excuse me, didn't we all just get handouts this summer before the campaigns ramped all the way up?

Kthxbai.

Excuse me, didn't we all just get handouts this summer before the campaigns ramped all the way up?

Kthxbai.

Yes, and if Nancy Pelosi and her gang have their way we're going to get another one! Yippee! Great way to disguise a little more pork. Do they think we all have "stupid" written on our forehead? If the first stimulus package didn't work, do they actually think another one will? I didn't want the first handout. I'd rather they'd just let me keep some of my money.

Rahm is a thug! Just what we don't need.

Are you serious? I can't believe you just said that! :shades:

why not...guy brings something to the table irrespective of all the mud- slinging campain material....Obama should surround himself with the best avail people even if they do not see eye to eye on certain subjects, otherwise its just another case ( like W ) of surrounding ones self w yes men....or, hey i could just be being a dumb ass....no doubt nastyfirst will jump on that bandwagon....

why not...guy brings something to the table irrespective of all the mud- slinging campain material....Obama should surround himself with the best avail people even if they do not see eye to eye on certain subjects, otherwise its just another case ( like W ) of surrounding ones self w yes men....or, hey i could just be being a dumb ass....no doubt nastyfirst will jump on that bandwagon....

he should start with Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton.....maybe offer them an Ambassadorship in Outer Mongolia ..get those 2 clowns out of the US....

Edited by napfirst

he should start with Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton.....maybe offer them an Ambassadorship in Outer Mongolia ..get those 2 clowns out of the US....

holy crap...hell froze over...we agree on something...Sharpton ESPECIALLY...annoying to say the least....and force feed them Spike Lee movies on a constant loop.....

Edited by Deanh

Better yet... Appoint Jennifer Granholm (The Land Mole of Michigan) Ambassador of Canada, her native homeland. SO SHE CAN GET THE FUCK OUT OF THERE AND REAL LEADERSHIP CAN BE BACK ALONG WITH ANY HOPE OF ANY NEW BUSINESS, JOBS AND POPULATION COMING BACK!

She can stay in Canada if that happens! :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: !!!!!!!!!!

I agree with you this one. Don't think even Jackson's kid would miss him - remember Rep. Jesse Jackson, Jr. publicly told his Dad to keep his opinions to himself.

Works for me, too. Sharpton's a waste of oxygen.

and IMO a BAD example to a lot of peoples whose interests he is meant to represent...guy makes an IDIOT out of himself constantly, a bad reflection on those that veiw him as their representative, jacksons damn near as bad...big HYPOCRITE foolin around on his wife....greta instant tears though.....

(as much as it pains me)

We should give them a chance. Not being black myself, these two men have been (be it through attrition or self-promotion) "leaders" in the community. (I originally said "black community", but I choose not to. To differentiate is to segregate)

If these two mens' reaction to the events of the last 24-hours was ever a better barometer of how President-elect Obama will influence the racial attitudes of the nation, I'm not sure what will be.

I say that not understanding whether, or why, it should have any influence at all.

(as much as it pains me)

We should give them a chance. Not being black myself, these two men have been (be it through attrition or self-promotion) "leaders" in the community. (I originally said "black community", but I choose not to. To differentiate is to segregate)

If these two mens' reaction to the events of the last 24-hours was ever a better barometer of how President-elect Obama will influence the racial attitudes of the nation, I'm not sure what will be.

I say that not understanding whether, or why, it should have any influence at all.

probably right, but I swear there are times their "input" has damaged their cause more than support it....I seem to remember a certain heisman winner whom both utilized as self promotion and gained the ire of many...myself included.....I just hope Obama resists all their attempts to ride on his coat-tails....

Edited by Deanh

probably right, but I swear there are times their "input" has damaged their cause more than support it....I seem to remember a certain heisman winner whom both utilized as self promotion and gained the ire of many...myself included.....I just hope Obama resists all their attempts to ride on his coat-tails....

Oh, I don't think you'll have to worry about that...since Jesse threatened to cut off his b___s.