The inside story: Ford's roadmap for survival

Buffet saw it.

Greenspan saw it 5 years ago

Well they were some of the lucky ones-obviously kerkorian did not see it coming or he would not of bought Ford stock at $9 a share and lost several billion dollars several months later. I could pull up the link and many people on this board would say it was an excellent move so lets get past that.

a lot of people saw it and moved their money accordingly.

1) Not in Europe. GM's European operations are a disaster area and have been for years. They haven't been consistently profitable since I was in high school. Maybe even farther back than that. Also, look at the revenue breakdown, GM is far more dependent on the NA market for revenue than Ford.

2) Wagoner IS as incompetent as he looks. The man has been CEO since 2000 and what has he done? The Lambdas? That's it. That's the ONLY US product line he has superintended that has been even remotely worthy of being described as 'attractive' to the general public.

Now you are getting personal and resorting to looks! If we were judging by that I think you would have to call Bob Stump an even bigger idiot!

Both GM and Ford have been dealing with and missing sales and profit objectives for years. GM is a much larger company and has more challenges than Ford but it is simplistic to say shut down 3 divisions, close 6 plants and fire the top managers. I still think Wagoneer has done a relatively good job-especially overseas. They are years ahead of Ford in China and just about everyone else.

At the end of the day though I realize more and more that I don't know what to expect and what the correct answer is-it has been a very humbling year in this industry.

Now you are getting personal and resorting to looks! If we were judging by that I think you would have to call Bob Stump an even bigger idiot!

Both GM and Ford have been dealing with and missing sales and profit objectives for years. GM is a much larger company and has more challenges than Ford but it is simplistic to say shut down 3 divisions, close 6 plants and fire the top managers. I still think Wagoneer has done a relatively good job-especially overseas. They are years ahead of Ford in China and just about everyone else.

At the end of the day though I realize more and more that I don't know what to expect and what the correct answer is-it has been a very humbling year in this industry.

Yeah, I'm not talking about looks as in personal appearance, I'm talking about a company that has gone consistently in ONE direction since 2000. Down.

BTW, Look at GM's European division and get back to me. China is not the sum total of 'overseas', and GM is in a world of hurt in a lot of other big markets.

---

And, understand, I am NOT saying 'shut three divisions and close six plants', I am saying "FIND SOMEONE WHO CAN FIGURE THIS MESS OUT"

Because eight years later, Wagoner still hasn't. (And, BTW, it's Wagoner, not Wagoneer--he's not a Jeep, for cryin' out loud).

Somebody watched the 100 years of GM "60 Minutes" special which was a Rick Wagoner worship fest, what a crock!

Then why doesn't Mullaly tell the leadership team to leave the room instead of meeting daily to discuss the plan that he intends to stay on?

From the article:

Mulally said. "You have to allow that debate to happen, because we had to still come up with all ofthe hard actions."

It's part of the process to explore all possibilities. The discussion has to take place if only to validate the plan.

Yeah, I'm not talking about looks as in personal appearance, I'm talking about a company that has gone consistently in ONE direction since 2000. Down.

BTW, Look at GM's European division and get back to me. China is not the sum total of 'overseas', and GM is in a world of hurt in a lot of other big markets.

---

And, understand, I am NOT saying 'shut three divisions and close six plants', I am saying "FIND SOMEONE WHO CAN FIGURE THIS MESS OUT"

Because eight years later, Wagoner still hasn't. (And, BTW, it's Wagoner, not Wagoneer--he's not a Jeep, for cryin' out loud).

The trouble with Wagoner the way I see it is he has no vision for the company. He just keeps coming out with new product in hodge podge way and some hit and some miss. He is determined to put a lot of money in every division and hope for a miracle. He should have put the bulk of the money into Chevy, the most imortant and viable division. Instead he gets diverted to GMC, Buick, Pontiac, and other lost causes. The best way to kill off a division is give it no new product and let it wither and die. Instead he just throws good money down a rathole. If I remember right, GM spent a ton of money on new product for Olds, and then killed it off costing them lots more money.

I would say that the Flex competes with Minivans, high end versions the Pilot and Highlander, as well as the Lambdas. The new 2011 Explorer will compete with Pilot, Highlander, Veracruz, and others. Edge with the Murano, Venza, etc. Escape with CRV Rav 4 Rogue, etc. A B-Max, or Faction as I hope it is called, will compete with Scion and Soul, and other mini CUVs. The Focus C-Max or whatever it will be called here, will arrive in the 2010-2012 timeframe, with room for 5-7 people and compete with Mazda 5 and Rondo, etc. So Ford will have the most complete lineup of CUVs on the market, no question.

Does anyone here know about the Euro crossover mentioned?

I wonder if GRWD platform is back on but on a smaller more modest scale?

I found it interesting to note that some refreshes on current US products that aren't selling will be postponed.

What vehicles could these be?

Ranger, Explorer Sport Trac, ?

The price of gas is no longer revelant. The Cafe standards demand smaller cars. There's no backing out of this now. Most cars sold must be smaller.

Well, they don't have to be smaller, you'd just need a rather efficient large vehicle to qualify.

Kroft: When the price of oil was at $147 a barrel, there were a lot of spirited and profitable discussions that were held on energy independence. Now you've got the price of oil under $60.

Mr. Obama: Right.

Kroft: Does doing something about energy is it less important now than…

Mr. Obama: It's more important. It may be a little harder politically, but it's more important.

Kroft: Why?

Mr. Obama: Well, because this has been our pattern. We go from shock to trance. You know, oil prices go up, gas prices at the pump go up, everybody goes into a flurry of activity. And then the prices go back down and suddenly we act like it's not important, and we start, you know filling up our SUVs again.

And, as a consequence, we never make any progress. It’s part of the addiction, all right. That has to be broken. Now is the time to break it.

President-elect Barack Obama

Does this mean the US will have a Putative Gas tax in the near future?

Edited by Biker16

Rav-4 (small)

Highlander (closer to the top end, but attainable in that range)

Pilot

Mazda5

Journey

Rondo (available third row, but small)

Borego (basically an explorer competitor, but, with a better value position with similar economy and better engines)

Sante Fe

Vera Cruz (the very lowest level trim can be purchased comfortably in the range)

I've probably forgotten a few, but, its safe to say, that's a market that the Flex doesn't play in and Ford, save for its interest in Mazda, doesn't have a product in. We've all detailed why the TaurusX and Freestyle were not competitive in this market, mainly due to being on the top end of the price range, having staid designs, an undesirable powertrain for the Freestyle, and a complete and utter lack of any kind of marketing whatsoever. There's no reason that Ford can't have a dog in that fight. My advice, if Ford intends to stay a bread-and-butter brand, is to find a way to take the edge platform and make a 3 row crossover from it that's less expensive than the Flex, more expressive in design than the Taurus X, and at least as efficient as the current Edge. Borrow from your friends over at Mazda who have the existing CD3 based Mazda CX-9 to jump-start development. Without a minivan, this is a market that I feel it is strongly important for Ford to be in if they hope for solid products to aid them in long term survival.

Having said that what do you think of Mazda badge engineering the Mazda 5 for Ford as fill in?

I'd rather see the S-Max or Galaxy here as a Ford instead of a rebadged Mazda5. I would like to see a reskinned MX-5 as a Ford (or Mercury) though. Been wanting that for years.

I would as well. The problem with bringing it over from Eu is that is will take a while.While Mazda can gear up and crank out a few K more a month fairly easily. Well at least the Mazda 5 passes inspections, and is exported to the US. With the other options it will be 2-3 years before we see them on the lots in the US.

I would as well. The problem with bringing it over from Eu is that is will take a while.While Mazda can gear up and crank out a few K more a month fairly easily. Well at least the Mazda 5 passes inspections, and is exported to the US. With the other options it will be 2-3 years before we see them on the lots in the US.

Good points. Looking at how slowly the Mazda5 is selling though, I'm not sure the effort would really be worth it at this point. It's not even selling as well as the Flex (which I have finally started seeing on the road).

Good points. Looking at how slowly the Mazda5 is selling though, I'm not sure the effort would really be worth it at this point. It's not even selling as well as the Flex (which I have finally started seeing on the road).

True. But the 5 selles decently for being a Mazda, and only having 700ish dealers in the US. Which is not a terrible ratio. I could see it as a replacement for the TX, and maybe doing 3k a month. That is is Ford doesn't ignore it to death as well. In the DC area I actually see more 5's than Flexs. If that means anything.

Or if they bring the Kuga over, great. Also while they're at it, use that factory to build the respective Volvos there too=)

Missing consideration: 3rd row space. None of the vehicles OFW mentioned are all that generous in 3rd row accommodations, and I believe they fail to meet Ford's minimum standards for 3rd row space--either that or they fail Ford's minimum standards for 3rd row occupant protection in the event of an accident. It's also possible that they fail in Ford's standards for 7 passenger cargo space.

In any event, I don't think I can fault Ford for being out of the micro-7 passenger market.