New York Times on Ford

Well, the NYT has finally woken up at least a bit and singled out Ford's product and environmental push:

"While General Motors and Chrysler plead to Congress for a bailout, Mr. Ford has reached out to President-elect Barack Obama in hopes that his company can benefit from the administration’s longer-term strategies for the auto industry.

Mr. Ford has been working behind the scenes, meeting one-on-one with Mr. Obama in August, conferring with his senior economic advisers, and teaming up with Gov. Jennifer Granholm of Michigan to push a vision of a leaner, greener auto industry.

With Detroit on the brink of disaster, the great-grandson of Henry Ford could play a critical role in how the Obama administration decides to assist the companies financially and shape broader energy policies."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/24/business...mp;ref=business

Edited by Austin

Yes, just read the article and was going to post the link. I agree its nice to see that William Ford has been busy behind the scenes and their is recognition in the NYT that Ford is ahead of the other two and potentially could make it through. Though I think the article may be wrong in the sense one is left with the impression that Ford could survive GM going bankrupt, from what i've always heard that will tank the suppliers and thus tank Ford.

But in addition to being ahead from a balance sheet point of view nice to see that the president elect may also recognize that Ford is a potential ally in the president elects vision for the future of the auto industry. And they haven't even spoken about the living roof yet! Or how sweet the Mustang is!

At least there are a few decent people who are able to think, read and research for themselves instead of cling to that misinformed consensus.

Off-Topic(Sort of): Did anyone watch Meet The Press today?

One of their topics was about 'the big 3' and this foreign woman took the stand to give her opinion on the matter - She would constantly spout 'gas guzzling suvs' as being one of the sole reason 'the big 3' are failing.

It was funny because her argument didn't revolve around anything else. I'm just flabbergasted at how someone can be heralded as being intelligent yet shes so misinformed on the auto industries financial woes. I think someone should tell her that Ford is leading in every segment in terms of fuel economy :finger:

Interesting, I guess I didn't realize that. What sectors are they?

Compact sedan highway - Focus

Midsize sedan city and highway - '10 Fusion

Fullsize sedan highway - Taurus

Small CUV city and highway - Escape Hybrid

Midsize CUV highway - Edge

Fullsize CUV city and highway - Flex

Compact Pickup city and highway - Ranger

Fullsize Pickup city and highway - F-150

I think that's all of 'em.

Fullsize sedan highway - Taurus

Small CUV city and highway - Escape Hybrid

I think it's actually fullsize sedan city (Impala does 1mpg better on the highway, IIRC).

Also, if you include hybrids, the Highlander is better than the Edge & Flex. However, if you exclude hybrids, the Escape is still the best compact ute.

---

The 'problem' vehicles are the Explorer and Expedition. Which are not =awful=, but the 4Runner gets better gas mileage than the Explorer, and the Expy is 1MPG behind the Tahoe XFE and a couple MPG behind the Tahoe hybrid.

Also, the '09 Expy is an exceptionally short model run. They've already stopped building them (MTP closed Friday for small car retooling)

At least there are a few decent people who are able to think, read and research for themselves instead of cling to that misinformed consensus.

Off-Topic(Sort of): Did anyone watch Meet The Press today?

One of their topics was about 'the big 3' and this foreign woman took the stand to give her opinion on the matter - She would constantly spout 'gas guzzling suvs' as being one of the sole reason 'the big 3' are failing.

It was funny because her argument didn't revolve around anything else. I'm just flabbergasted at how someone can be heralded as being intelligent yet shes so misinformed on the auto industries financial woes. I think someone should tell her that Ford is leading in every segment in terms of fuel economy :finger:

What do expect from a left-wing operation at NBC News?

Weather not Fun?? Blasphemers! I love weather. I run a weather website out of my own house.

http://www.bismarckweather.net

Most fun thing I learned in my Meteorology class is that air entering the compressed cabin of an airplane crusing at 30,000 feet actually has to be COOLED by about 90F to be comfortable to the cabin's occupants. :yup:

Most fun thing I learned in my Meteorology class is that air entering the compressed cabin of an airplane crusing at 30,000 feet actually has to be COOLED by about 90F to be comfortable to the cabin's occupants. :yup:

One of my college room mates was a Meteorology major. I guess he's a weatherman somewhere now.

Great article in the NYT. I was hoping we would hear from Bill Ford. He needs to be outfront on the job Mulally has done in turning Ford around

Edited by Mark B. Morrow

Am I the only who doesn't believe that GM or Chrysler going bankrupt will not bankrupt the supply chain and thus bankrupt Ford??

I do.

They sold us on the Banks that our economy is a house of cards and were all doomed to disaster if we don't bail them out. That was a lie and so is it when they say that the same will happen with the auto industry.

No one goes bankrupt and just disappears. At some point creditors, buyers, someone with money steps in a pays 10 cents on the dollar to scoop up a great deal and keeps the ball rolling.

Peace and Blessings