Ford Establishes Global Performance Vehicles department

igor

intrerestingly, Ford AU FPV is not included in the release .. it seems Ford is struggling to figure out what to do with Australia ..they back-tracked on the D35 / 5.0l export program .. and now this ... I am a little worried - it could spell NOT GOOD for local management in AU.

Igor

intrerestingly, Ford AU FPV is not included in the release .. it seems Ford is struggling to figure out what to do with Australia ..they back-tracked on the D35 / 5.0l export program .. and now this ... I am a little worried - it could spell NOT GOOD for local management in AU.

Igor

+1.....would bw an absoljte SHAME not to be able to utilize some of the Aussie tech/expertise in a potential RWD platform ( their IRS system is a work of art )

Edited by Deanh

I am beginning to wonder if Ford global is considering divesting itself of Australia's operations. I did read where the 4.0L was able to be made emissions compliant, though. I also remember reading that the gov't had predicated some investment money for Ford AU on certain operations staying there. That may have been what kept FPV seperate.

Even without FPV in the mix, I really don't see that meaning much more. What vehicles does FPV do? The Falcon and Territory, and that's it, correct? If there are no export plans for those vehicles into new markets, I don't see the point of combining them into global operations anyway. It may not be an end to FoA, but it could be signalling an end to plans for Falcon export to new markets in the near future. Remember, Ford of Australia does get vehicles from other parts of the world, such as the Focus, which would still fall under this new entity.

I am beginning to wonder if Ford global is considering divesting itself of Australia's operations. I did read where the 4.0L was able to be made emissions compliant, though. I also remember reading that the gov't had predicated some investment money for Ford AU on certain operations staying there. That may have been what kept FPV seperate.

Apart from the the goverment money on offer, the Australian Dollar with the commodities price crash has gone from very nearly 1:1 with the USD to as low 1.65:1 since June this year!

Absolutely phenomenal game changer with the plan to import engines, especially from the US. Ford Australia must be ecstatic they hadn't gone past the point of no return with the I6. The Aussie Dollar might have just opened up some opportunities for FoA because it has just got a hell of a lot cheaper to engineer stuff there.

So when do the "performance" variants of these cars come out, one year before its slated for a full redesign? I mean, if it takes them a year or 2, to give them an improved engine, how many more till they get a performance version?

It is always a sticking point with me in regards to Ford delaying the nice engines all the time.

Look at the Raptor, and more importantly, the Mustang.

The 2010 Fusion also comes to mind. We could have had a Fusion GT in 2008...

Why would Ford engineer in Australia? The market there is microscopic and they have no engineering infrastructure to prepare products for the high volume North American and European markets. Every product engineered in Australia has failed miserably here because the markets are completely incompatible.

It is always a sticking point with me in regards to Ford delaying the nice engines all the time...

I must say I agree. Although I realize it's now permanently part of The Way Forward Plan, and that it is also a way to develop vehicles cheaper, it doesn't mean I like it any better.

Why would Ford engineer in Australia? The market there is microscopic and they have no engineering infrastructure to prepare products for the high volume North American and European markets. Every product engineered in Australia has failed miserably here because the markets are completely incompatible.

With the advent of 3-D modelling/CAD/CAM and big bandwidth video tech to link it all together around the world, the staff can be anywhere.

So they should just convert production over there to produce D35 and MOD50s and we can benefit from the best of both worlds; Engineering in the US and production in Aussieland.