Ford PR Fails Again

Maybe I'm paying attention to a vocal minority of idiots, but despite Ford's pass on the bailout loans, the bailout bill is still being reported on as the Big 3, Detroit automakers, or worst, as GM, Ford and Chrysler. Again, a half truth and public perception is hurting Ford. Am I reaching on this, or should Ford's PR department get together a publicity campaign regarding Ford's financial status?

Maybe they're waiting for the 2010 Fusion. A 40MPG Hybrid with best in class reliability, and not kept afloat by government bailouts. That would solve all of their image problems.

Edited by V8 Ford

I understand how you are reading this and it is that impression. However I think Ford has a plan. They can't sit back at home and say "We are better than them". This is all designed in part to reduce their footprint in the market. They are showing solidarity with the other manufactor's, (unlike the imports).

People have remarked that they got a bump in sales because of the other 2 hurting. I don't believe that at all, if anything all of this has hurt all 3 makers.

Yes, Ford released a small article that they are declining help from the gov. on their own media website, but then turn right around and keep pushing that they just want an equity loan "in case they 'might' need it". What hogwash, either crap or get off the pot.

No, they have to protect the family. They haven't been able to live off of $147 MILLION in dividends since 6/06. They will make it but as for Chrysler. it's pure death.

Analyst: Aid won't save Chrysler LINK

Maybe I'm paying attention to a vocal minority of idiots, but despite Ford's pass on the bailout loans, the bailout bill is still being reported on as the Big 3, Detroit automakers, or worst, as GM, Ford and Chrysler. Again, a half truth and public perception is hurting Ford. Am I reaching on this, or should Ford's PR department get together a publicity campaign regarding Ford's financial status?

Maybe they're waiting for the 2010 Fusion. A 40MPG Hybrid with best in class reliability, and not kept afloat by government bailouts. That would solve all of their image problems.

I think they know it too

An image at issue

In the long run, the congressional hearings could hurt Ford's image.

Like GM and Chrysler, the automaker has been battling an image problem with consumers. While overall quality has gone up, bringing Ford's quality in line with Toyota's according to one recent study, and fuel efficiency is improving, there's a gap between consumer perception and reality.

"In the court of public opinion, they are all one in the same," says Leslie Gaines-Ross, chief reputation strategist for public relations firm Weber Shandwick. "They're all looking for help. If anything happens to any of those companies, it's going to impact every situation. I think that's how the average consumer looks at it.

"There is so much distrust of companies today that it's very hard to distinguish one company from another," Gaines-Ross says. "But it's certainly possible to change perceptions. … It's just going to be crucial to get the message across."

Jim Farley, group vice president of marketing and communications for Ford, says he's been frustrated by some of the debate in the media about the bailout. "It's one thing for the consumers, but for the mass media and our real thought leaders in the country to literally have a five- to 10-year-old image about where Ford Motor Co. is, it's mind boggling."

Still, he's never seen so much interest in the auto industry. And Farley says he thinks the conversation will change as soon as people delve more into the details about each company.

"It's raising the awareness to a level that we couldn't do with all the marketing money in the world," Farley says. "If GM, Chrysler and Ford joined up tomorrow, we could not get the American public to be as interested in the car companies' health as it is right now."

Farley, who was lured to Ford from Toyota a year ago by Mulally, says he's excited about the future of Ford: Working there is a lot like working at Toyota in the 1980s, when they were working to build their market and persuade people to buy their products.

Farley says Mulally has had a laser focus on his plan, and managed to rally people around his vision.

"He's one heck of a salesman," Farley says. "He has a laser focus that hasn't changed one iota."

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2008-1...interview_N.htm

Edited by Cougarpower

I understand how you are reading this and it is that impression. However I think Ford has a plan. They can't sit back at home and say "We are better than them". This is all designed in part to reduce their footprint in the market. They are showing solidarity with the other manufactor's, (unlike the imports).

People have remarked that they got a bump in sales because of the other 2 hurting. I don't believe that at all, if anything all of this has hurt all 3 makers.

Yes, Ford released a small article that they are declining help from the gov. on their own media website, but then turn right around and keep pushing that they just want an equity loan "in case they 'might' need it". What hogwash, either crap or get off the pot.

No, they have to protect the family. They haven't been able to live off of $147 MILLION in dividends since 6/06. They will make it but as for Chrysler. it's pure death.

Analyst: Aid won't save Chrysler LINK

I hope they have a plan, since besides the media.ford.com press release, I haven't seen much. Farley is right about the amount of attention they're getting (thanks for the link cougar power), but that seems to be a deflection away from the fact that a lot attention they're getting puts them in a negative light (what other company is good at that kind of spin). I'm still waiting for them to use that attention to get the message out there.

Edited by V8 Ford

You are correct.

In general, the press has not been able to tell one from another, and the reporting is sloppy. But...I have followed this very closely and read 3-4 papers on line every day and I have noticed a big change within the last week where the papers are saying "help for GM and Chrysler" and "Ford has said they don't need help now". Of course we all knew that before and any reporter would have had he paid attention to the hearings and filed plans of the companies. But even if the press is changing somewhat, most of the public probably doesn't have a clue.

The brand names "Detroit", "Detroit 3", "Big3", and "UAW" are all very negative. And let's not kid ourselves that there is not a racial element to some of the negativity.

The brand name "Ford" is a lot more positive than the ones above. The assignment really goes to Farley. How can he separate Ford from the other negative brands, and what method does Ford use to transmit that message. Of course, part of it will be through the stream of "under promise/over deliver" products over the next few years. And some of it will be through the "we're just as good as Toyota" theme. But finding something that resonates will be tough.

You are correct.

In general, the press has not been able to tell one from another, and the reporting is sloppy. But...I have followed this very closely and read 3-4 papers on line every day and I have noticed a big change within the last week where the papers are saying "help for GM and Chrysler" and "Ford has said they don't need help now". Of course we all knew that before and any reporter would have had he paid attention to the hearings and filed plans of the companies. But even if the press is changing somewhat, most of the public probably doesn't have a clue.

The brand names "Detroit", "Detroit 3", "Big3", and "UAW" are all very negative. And let's not kid ourselves that there is not a racial element to some of the negativity.

The brand name "Ford" is a lot more positive than the ones above. The assignment really goes to Farley. How can he separate Ford from the other negative brands, and what method does Ford use to transmit that message. Of course, part of it will be through the stream of "under promise/over deliver" products over the next few years. And some of it will be through the "we're just as good as Toyota" theme. But finding something that resonates will be tough.

They already have the right idea. They need to keep building on this excellent ad campaign and work to get more positive media coverage.

I love both of these and this is how you fix your image. I am very excited about the 2010 Fusion and Fusion Hybrid. It is the right car at the right time. I am also excited about the new Fiesta, Focus and Taurus. These sedans will be the key to Ford's survival over the next few years. Keeping the F-Series strong is very important as well. I can't wait for the Eco-boost F-150.

Edited by 2005Explorer

I do agree Ford should separate themselves from GM and Chrysler, I do believe that 7Mary3 is correct as well though. It would be a huge slap in the face for Ford if they tout the fact that they currently don't need money, all just to separate themselves from GM and Chrysler, only to need it this time next year because GM and Chrysler crapped out. Ford should be more vocal about why they were in Washington, to support GM and Chrysler as Fords success is somewhat tied to theirs. I have seen statements similar to this on Fords Media website, but not much in the national news.

They already have the right idea. They need to keep building on this excellent ad campaign and work to get more positive media coverage.

I love both of these and this is how you fix your image. I am very excited about the 2010 Fusion and Fusion Hybrid. It is the right car at the right time. I am also excited about the new Fiesta, Focus and Taurus. These sedans will be the key to Ford's survival over the next few years. Keeping the F-Series strong is very important as well. I can't wait for the Eco-boost F-150.

Those were good ads, but I always loved this one:

Maybe Ford's PR department isn't all that stupid. Think how bad it would look if Ford was touting how they don't need any help, but 6 months from now they have to ask for money.

Ford MIGHT need help eventually. They've said as much. So, yeah they aren't much different in the long run as far as consumers and journalists are concerned.

On the flip side Ford could break out of the "BIG 3" mould all together. Especially if GM and Chrysler are micro managed by the US senate and lose their uniqueness.

Ford MIGHT need help eventually......

Unfortunately, it's becoming more of a question of 'when', not 'if'. If auto sales continue to fall, and/or the recovery is delayed past the end of 2009, Ford will be under considerable pressure towards the end of next year. Hard to say at this point what is going to happen. Personally, I am most concerned about Ford's suppliers at the moment.

I dunno, seems like most articles I've seen the past couple days are painting Ford in a different light, except for some totally retarted article on fool.com that called for Wangneer and Mulally to step down but gave Nardell a free pass to turn around Chrysler...and totally ignored the fact that Ford has been restructuring since Mulally took over 2 years ago

Unfortunately, it's becoming more of a question of 'when', not 'if'. If auto sales continue to fall, and/or the recovery is delayed past the end of 2009, Ford will be under considerable pressure towards the end of next year. Hard to say at this point what is going to happen. Personally, I am most concerned about Ford's suppliers at the moment.

Amusing. In proving that it is a 'when' instead of an 'if' situation, you start by saying "IF auto sales continue to fall..." :lol:

I read an article recently where Toyota stated that they use some of the same suppliers as the Big 3. That means they could be hurt by the domino effect as well. I am also a little surprised they would admit something like that. Of course the news media would never question how their quality could be so much higher when they source their parts from the same vendors.

I dunno, seems like most articles I've seen the past couple days are painting Ford in a different light, except for some totally retarted article on fool.com that called for Wangneer and Mulally to step down but gave Nardell a free pass to turn around Chrysler...and totally ignored the fact that Ford has been restructuring since Mulally took over 2 years ago

Key word in that is the website...