Quick Questions for UAW Ford workers

I don't know enough about the UAW and am looking for some feedback.

1. As a UAW member do you view yourslef more as a Ford employee or a UAW member?

2. If GM or Chrysler UAW workers are negatively affected by BK or gov't intervention, do you view yourselves as one group or are they seperate?

3. If the gov't or BK comes in and total benefits or wages are equal to or lower than import workers, do you still want to be a part of the union? If you are paying dues and they are not, what other benefits does the union provide?

My job does not have me in any direct contact with UAW employees so I am just curious.

Thanks.

1. As a UAW member do you view yourslef more as a Ford employee or a UAW member?

2. If GM or Chrysler UAW workers are negatively affected by BK or gov't intervention, do you view yourselves as one group or are they seperate?

3. If the gov't or BK comes in and total benefits or wages are equal to or lower than import workers, do you still want to be a part of the union? If you are paying dues and they are not, what other benefits does the union provide?

My job does not have me in any direct contact with UAW employees so I am just curious.

Thanks.

1.I am a Ford employee

2.One group

3.Our benefits and wages are equal to or lower than import workers. It's the legacy costs that make it seem more. The union is for the person who can't fight by his/her self. Yes there is OSHA and Govt. regulations...but that does not protect you from an abusive supervisor (believe me I've worked for a few).

Thanks.

1) A Ford employee that is also a union member.

2) one group- patterna bargaining; if GM and Chrysler take a hit or a gain for that matter, all share in one way or another.

3) Yes I would still want to be part of the union, If our pay goes down there's will as well;The only benefits the unions provide is a fair chance for workers without a union the company could do as they please when they please, they provide workers rights in the workplace.

Thanks.

Obviously you are not an employee so why are you psoting in this forum that is for "EMPLOYEES ONLY"?

Thanks.

I work for Ford Motor.I belong to the UAW.It is mandatory for hourly workers.By the way have you seen the New F-150!..Test drive one of those and feeeel the power.Rides smooth too!A truck is a good ,reliable,multi-purpose vehicle and it also has a distinct style that says "GET THAT 'TOY' YOU CALL AN ECONOMY CAR OUT OF MY WAY,SUCKER,ENJOY YOUR RIDE!"

Edited by Fatso

1. I am a Ford Employee first and foremost.

2. Separate. The top of my pay stub reads "Ford Motor Company".

3. I want a fair day pay for a fair day worked. I have done jobs where I thought I deserved more then what I was getting payed, and I have done jobs where I thought I deserved less then I was getting payed. 20 years ago there were many more jobs of the former type, today almost all are of the latter no matter what you may see on TV or in the newspapers. (not receiving a raise in 6 years tends to sway that last statement).

Benefits the Union Provides? I think if our Union Dues are mandatory (which they are) then the amount we pay them should be directly proportional to how well they bargain for us. Every time they give away more of our Health Care, or raise our Co-Pays, or give away scheduled raises and/or bonuses, or allow the company to outsource more jobs, or allow more members to be laid off indefinitely then I think our dues should be lowered.

I have never directly needed representation for any type of diciplinary action, I do my job well, I come to work everyday. However, just like there are bad apples in every bunch, some UAW members suck ass as well as some management, and it is nice to know that I am somewhat protected against some idiot supervisor with a Napoleon complex if needed.

Thanks.

1. I am an UAW represented Ford employee, my allegience belongs to both. Henry Ford II said that the Company NEEDS the Union!

2 & 3. Seperate. But we have common interests and if the UAW represented GM, Chrysler take wage and/or benefit cuts we will, too. We want our Company to be just as strong and stronger than ANY other. Collective Bargaining Power!

Thanks.

You don't know the UAW and thought you would get educated by opinions. Start with the Landrum Griffin Act,

We are Ford / UAW workers, partners in our quest to build the worlds best products while returning shareholder value to our investors

We use tools like FPS, Lean Manufacturing and Six Sigma to deliver the world highest quality vehicles at the lowest cost possible, Continuous Improvement at it's best..

The majority of Americans have been negatively impacted by unfair trade laws brought about by high paid lobbyist in Washington

You use the phrase "UAW Worker" like it's something ominous

I pay taxes and I don't reap all the benefits that Congress and Senate people receive, should I fold my hand and quit being an American.

Look up information on Walter Reuther, MLK, Douglas Frasier, etc and please by all means visit WWW.UAW.ORG for answers to any questions you may have. Happy Holidays

Thanks.

***** BeWare Folks ******

This could be one of those that work for the right-to-work legal counsel. The republican anti-union busting machine.

So far, most have answered the way they should have.

1) Ford Motor Company employee first

2) A Proud represented UAW member

3) We have a common interest in the industry. The jap plant workers have an interest with what we have in our contracts also. If we take a cut, so do they.

The BEST Union benefit that we have is the removal of the "Employee-At-Will" status. No walk in today, fired for anything (bad hair, blue shoes, pick something, employee at will status is the most scary part of working for someone!). You have a right to the grievance process up to and including a third party arbitration. jap plants have a so-called employee review board that hears your case but they terminate you anyway (without recourse). The Union provides a safe work place with a voice without reprisal. Also collectivly we bargain for benefits and wages not just for the Big 3, but the (pick a slant eye, jap-korean) plants also. The Union keeps the work load even or as even as possible. The boss off your back and the right to speak to the boss just as he speaks to you! He cuss's you, then you cuss him. The Union makes an even playing field. The Union also makes quality the second priority next to safety. You intentionally make bad parts, you spend a couple weeks at home (without pay).

Would I still want to be a UAW (or any Union) member if a company goes bankrupt? Yes because the Union is a debt holder (research the Delphi bankruptcy). Single employees are at the bottom of the list and 100% of the time are removed from the debt holders list by the bankruptcy judge. Goes back to the ole saying "United We Stand' Divided We Beg'!

Thanks.

Funny thing to be curious about.......why don't you go play reporter somewhere else....this is an employee forum.

To everyone else....these are not curious questions...they are very pointed questions that would only be asked by someone in the know and certainly not one of these questions are economist questions. DON'T ANSWER.

Edited by level

You don't know the UAW and thought you would get educated by opinions. Start with the Landrum Griffin Act,

We are Ford / UAW workers, partners in our quest to build the worlds best products while returning shareholder value to our investors

We use tools like FPS, Lean Manufacturing and Six Sigma to deliver the world highest quality vehicles at the lowest cost possible, Continuous Improvement at it's best..

The majority of Americans have been negatively impacted by unfair trade laws brought about by high paid lobbyist in Washington

I pay taxes and I don't reap all the benefits that Congress and Senate people receive, should I fold my hand and quit being an American.

Look up information on Walter Reuther, MLK, Douglas Frasier, etc and please by all means visit WWW.UAW.ORG for answers to any questions you may have. Happy Holidays

Nice post.

Thanks.

1. I am an individual person. One of my tasks is performing work for the Ford Motor Company. I am also a member of a union, which is a condition of my employment. If that was not a condition, and the wages were high enough, I would still wish to be employed by Ford.

2. I am separate from GM and Chrysler, but I suspect that all three are plotting in concert for government money. There is no such thing as a General Motors car, unlike Ford, so their nameplates will be less tarnished if they take the lead in the quest for government assistance.

3. If I had low seniority, my answer would be "maybe". Since I have high seniority, I definitely want the union. I have paid my dues.

Edited by Trimdingman

Thanks for the responses. I apologize if I worried some or offended some.

My experience with UAW employees is limited at best. I'll visit an HVC once a year and most there will not make eye contact and those that do don't smile. There is a disconnect between salaried and UAW.

People ask me daily what is happening wirth Ford and the other autos, and we discuss the conditions. Most will try to blame the UAW and I try to shift it toward other factors. Labor is a small percentage of the cost of a vehicle, wages are on par with the transplants, we need a trained workforce to build vehicles and have better quality, concessions have been made during the last two contracts, and so forth. Other people do not care. The most common response is "the union needs to go away- if they BK it would be better". I disagree and appreciate the sacrafices you've made.

As a Ford employee who has never paid dues, I don't feel a connection to GM or Chrysler salaried workers. I can be laid off at any time without reason or recourse.

Once again, I'm sorry if I've made some uncomfortable. It would probably be best just to stop posting in this thread as some obviously do not like it.

Thanks for the pointers.

One Ford. Way to live the dream. Thanks champ.

don't lump him in like the rest of us, alot of people are under stress, he just might be trying to be an ass, people are just touchy right now and people just keep badgering the UAW as it's our fault that this all came about. People just seem to think that the transplants are getting $10/hr which isn't true because they don't announce the true pay as we are all over the news on what we make which is in line just like others. People need to understand we work for the companies and we belong to a union and it's just that.

Thanks.

I believe these questions you ask, sort of jump the gun on your quest for understanding of this industry.

First, I'd like to say I for one, am sick and tired of seeing the same old footage on the news that shows the end of the assembly line, where one casually dressed worker is setting a front grill in place, and moving back over to the rack and grabbing another...if this is how the the media chooses to represent what we do as a whole, then they need much more of an education of how a car is made. I mean, that grill itself probably has alot of workers responsible for its existance.

I suggest you read this link about how one car is made: http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0619/p18s02-hfks.html (and this is still just a general overview of ONE assembly plant). Assembly is where all the parts that were made by THOUSANDS of workers at countless plants across the country and the world, are assembled to close tolerances to ensure quality. This requires superb engineering, communication, time schedules and much more...The part of the article about how the tool and die shop "forms" the panels before they are sent to the line, merely glances at what a tool and diemaker actually does...can you say, laying under 70,000 pounds and grinding sparks all over yourself 3 times fast?

The link I provided above, on "how a car is made" was suprisingly hard to find and only scratches the surface.

I think it to be obvious (to me at least),those that ask these questions, need to learn more about how a car is really made, to fully understand what they're really asking. It was painfully apparent that congress, and the american people for that matter,...have no clue...OIM