2010 Taurus with almost no camo

TomServo92

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else notice that the 80s era 'floating' Ford badge is back?

I think it's kind of a neat touch but not to everyone's tastes.

I wonder how far Ford can afford to drift their styling towards Camry and other Japanese cars?

Most people would accept the cars have to look a little more like those competitors but keeping a link

with previous models is helpful in convincing the buyer true evolution is happening, not just immitation.

I'll add that I think this is a good compromise in achiving some pretty difficult targets,

a major change in styling direction and providing a link to future models, all while keeping Toyota honest.

Edited by jpd80

I wonder how far Ford can afford to drift their styling towards Camry and other Japanese cars?

Most people would accept the cars have to look a little more like those competitors but keeping a link

with previous models is helpful in convincing the buyer true evolution is happening, not just immitation.

I'll add that I think this is a good compromise in achiving some pretty difficult targets,

a major change in styling direction and providing a link to future models, all while keeping Toyota honest.

I hate to break it to yah, but most people don't think very much in the first place :P

If it's price competitive, it should sell very well :yup:

Why would you want to keep any of the current styling to the new one. Isn't that why it faltered. If they did, then it would be suicide. Ford had to completely overhaul the style if they want to compete.

I can't see why you would make that statement.

Why would you want to keep any of the current styling to the new one. Isn't that why it faltered. If they did, then it would be suicide. Ford had to completely overhaul the style if they want to compete.

I can't see why you would make that statement.

Please show how keeping any of the previous car's styling would be suicide.

I think the car faltered because of Ford's advertising department but agree, the styling didn't help.

It's been said on here before, you just can't go from Bold American to European kinetic or the new

Ford styling language half way through a product cycle. It is the job of this car to move the styling

in that direction.

Edited by jpd80

*dons flame retardant suit* :extinguish:

Um, were the designers who came up with the next generation Fusion not available?

Because that is a very nice looking car. This new Taurus looks like an Camry mated with a late 90's Chrysler Concord and threw on of those cheesey chrome side scoops on for good measure.

I guess, like the '10 'Stang I need to wait to see it in person before passing judgment.

I have a really strong feeling the new Taurus is going to change a lot of opinions when they see it in person.

The MKS has a great presence in person and on the road, I expect the Taurus to be similar in the regard. While it does look reminiscent of the current Camry, as has been already stated the Camry is bloated and misproportioned in person, as well as cheap looking.

I do see a lot of the Falcon in the new Taurus as well; I'm sure that car was more of a design inspiration than the Camry was.

It's interesting to see how the design has evolved since the clay model was photographed.

Are you referring to this (attached) clay model?

Perhaps it's the other way around. The leaked photo might have been a "sport" model with the new pic being the base model.

I think you're right - as evidenced by the wheels, black mirrors, and lack of foglamps.

post-28332-1229835502_thumb.jpg

Edited by rmc523

I saw a MKS in person Today :D

I liked it in Pics but seeing it in person made me like even more really nice car.

They do look quite good in person. I'm wondering if the Taurus will look as big as the MKS does though on the road. I'm not necessarily saying that's bad....really I'm just wondering more than anything.

I do see a lot of the Falcon in the new Taurus as well; I'm sure that car was more of a design inspiration than the Camry was.

I guess Ford NA looked at the styles being presented elsewhere, all large cars go through approval

at the one place, Large Vehicle Development Center in Detroit so it stands to reason most look at

what the other guy is doing.

Falcon could go either way after 2013, the decision to keep the I-6 may well have been strategic

to save money, rather than change to V6 as a MCE. If FoA switch to Taurus/FWD large car post 2013

then maybe the style switchover won't be a huge change at all.

I do like the way the Taurus is heading with styling especially with this MCE, it seems to have more

of an international flavour now so perhaps we'll see it exported to Asia - maybe as a FoE flagship?

Edited by jpd80

Please show how keeping any of the previous car's styling would be suicide.

I think the car faltered because of Ford's advertising department but agree, the styling didn't help.

It's been said on here before, you just can't go from Bold American to European kinetic or the new

Ford styling language half way through a product cycle. It is the job of this car to move the styling

in that direction.

Well, lets see. What would suicide mean to me?? The so called media would hack into into it like a freshly cooked prime rib because it would be called a continuation of blandness. But lets look at the sales. the sales tell ya what people thought of it. And sales by the end of this year will probably be no more than 70,000 units.

so that's what tells me it would be suicide to keep any styling cues from the previous models.

Ford are at the crossroads and are terrified of repeating GM's Zeta debacle.

If only they'd realise that Falcon can live along happily in AUS and just import a few for the diehard

RWD fans in the USA as performance partner for the Mustang and luxury version for Lincoln (MKR).

Irrespective of end goals, Falcon will always be a niche vehicle - and a damned good one at that!!

Well, lets see. What would suicide mean to me?? The so called media would hack into into it like a freshly cooked prime rib because it would be called a continuation of blandness. But lets look at the sales. the sales tell ya what people thought of it. And sales by the end of this year will probably be no more than 70,000 units.

so that's what tells me it would be suicide to keep any styling cues from the previous models.

This is a MCE so you're not going to be able to completely eliminate all of the styling due to top hat structure, the high roof line for one has to stay so that in itself is a stand out feature of the old car.

Also look at the rear quarter shot, there's still a lot of the old 500 and Taurus there although subdued.

Blue II was echoing the GRWD project which FoA were starting but then was halted as the

US economy was tanking and oil prices skyrocketed. The best that can be hoped for is that Falcon

stays a regional program for now, rumors are Ecoboost I-4 studies are continuing.

Computer emissions modelling has shown cheap ways to upgrade the I-6 to Euro 4/5/6 and possibly EPA.

hopefully this will give Ford NA something to think about if dollars are tight for a GRWD.

Edited by jpd80

This is a MCE so you're not going to be able to completely eliminate all of the styling due to top hat structure, the high roof line for one has to stay so that in itself is a stand out feature of the old car.

Also look at the rear quarter shot, there's still a lot of the old 500 and Taurus there although subdued.

Blue II was echoing the GRWD project which FoA were starting but then was halted as the

US economy was tanking and oil prices skyrocketed. The best that can be hoped for is that Falcon

stays a regional program for now, rumors are Ecoboost I-4 studies are continuing.

Computer emissions modelling has shown cheap ways to upgrade the I-6 to Euro 4/5/6 and possibly EPA.

hopefully this will give Ford NA something to think about if dollars are tight for a GRWD.

I can see what you're saying now

That would be terrible, terrible news. I'm still holding out hope for a GRWD miracle, Blue II did state a while back that the next Taurus was going rwd. :fingers crossed:

Me thinks it was melded in during the time of the great "what direction will the next Taurus take" when news of Global Rear Wheel Drive platform was discussed.

Taurus should remain front drive with all wheel drive options....any rear drive development should take place for....<shudder> sorry to bring up her name....<speaking in a low whisper>Panther

I can see what you're saying now

That's OK, sometimes I don't explain myself fully. :shades:

Me thinks it was melded in during the time of the great "what direction will the next Taurus take" when news of Global Rear Wheel Drive platform was discussed.

Taurus should remain front drive with all wheel drive options....any rear drive development should take place for....<shudder> sorry to bring up her name....<speaking in a low whisper>Panther

If Ford does their plans right, there's room for both but Taurus/FWD car will be volume product and

Falcon/Panther/RWD will be retained as niche specific. The most expensive parts are power train, suspension and electrical. If those are shared between several vehicles the whole thing is viable.

In that instance, there's no real need for a Global RWD platform, divisions can do their own specific.

Edited by jpd80

Good ol' GRWD speculation, AU will get D3, same as everyone else.

:happy feet:

Edited by Armada Master

There have been enough confirmed mule sightings at this point to say it's almost a certainty. I think the only question is whether or not it will bear the SHO moniker.

Silver SHO, (3.5 eco-boost, still like Twin-Force better for performance model) to show itself at NAIAS.

With the SHO wheels and tires this car is awesume!! I thought Interceptor, (two years ago concept) when I say this beauty.