Chrome Clad Wheels

When did they start using steel? My 01 F150 has the plastic "Chrome Clad" cover on a 17" steel wheel and my 07 Expedition has the plastic "Chrome Clad" cover on a 20" aluminum wheel. I've never had a problem with either of them, and I've scratched up the F150 wheels a few times going off road. I actually prefer the "Chrome Clad" wheels as they are much easier to keep clean. Good luck...

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^^^^I was being ironic...

-BORG

Notice I said 'hitting a ditch at 95mph'... If you vehicle drives away unscathed after that then it must've been crafted God himself.

Or it's Panther!

Seriously, we'd better get used to this pseudo chrome, as real chrome over steel has been rendered way too expensive for mass produced vehicles, due to being very "non-green".

A $44,000 car should not run funny just from striking a ditch at 95 MPH. You should never buy another Ford product again. What a POS.

are you a complete retard?

this has nothing to do with the mechanical ability of the car after striking the curb.

Note that Borg is not complaining that his alignment is off.

He's talking about corrosion. Something that should NOT be happening, even after a curb scuff.

One of the chrome clad wheels on my Lincoln MKX is rusting. I had no idea these were steel, but indeed I have a healthy rust spot on the edge of my wheel where I dent it a slight bit after hitting a curb. I have ALWAYS hated the concept of 'Chrome Clad'. Every chrome wheel I've owned until now were gorgeous solid alloys. This will absolutely be the last time I get a car with chrome clad. If they corrode this easily, then wait a few years and you'll see a bunch of chrome clads in horrible condition.

I'm going to take this to the dealer, see if this is covered under warranty.

Borg...you are going to the dealer to see if the Rust caused by YOUR driving error is going to be given a freebie fix it blessing????? hey, my gals daughter backed into another car, the bumper is dented...can you see if your dealers bodyshop will cover that?.........

are you a complete retard?

this has nothing to do with the mechanical ability of the car after striking the curb.

Note that Borg is not complaining that his alignment is off.

He's talking about corrosion. Something that should NOT be happening, even after a curb scuff.

J----does that mean if one SCRATCHES past the primer and corrosion statrts that should be covered as well?????come on guys...some common sense and FRIGGEN ACCOUNTABILITY please.....

J----does that mean if one SCRATCHES past the primer and corrosion statrts that should be covered as well?????come on guys...some common sense and FRIGGEN ACCOUNTABILITY please.....

I hear ya Dean. I'm all for driver accountability, but hearing BORGs situation, I would have to side with him on this. The wheels should have some degree of scuffing protection.

To use your example, this would be like a scratch going down to primer when your key chain rubs on the paint when you put the key in the lock. You would expect the paint finish to be a little more robust.

I have seen many (ahem) lady driven cars that have seen their share of curb encounters. Corrosion has not been an issue. So its not like the driver should be 100% fault free, but like I said, I don't think there should be corrosion in this case. Maybe it was a bad batch of wheels that Ford is aware of.

I hear ya Dean. I'm all for driver accountability, but hearing BORGs situation, I would have to side with him on this. The wheels should have some degree of scuffing protection.

To use your example, this would be like a scratch going down to primer when your key chain rubs on the paint when you put the key in the lock. You would expect the paint finish to be a little more robust.

I have seen many (ahem) lady driven cars that have seen their share of curb encounters. Corrosion has not been an issue. So its not like the driver should be 100% fault free, but like I said, I don't think there should be corrosion in this case. Maybe it was a bad batch of wheels that Ford is aware of.

Chrome IS the corrosion barrier...you break that with your own clumsiness as far as I am concerned you are on your own...and hitting a curb is not Fords fault in the slightest...I'm astounded someone would actually think so....you break or Crack the barrier fess up to your own responsibility.....now, NO damage and the same thing happened then theres an issue.......

Edited by Deanh

After two years with my '06 F150 with the 'chrome clad' 18" wheels, no problems. Then again I don't hit curbs and if so, the tires usually roll over the curb, so no direct curb/rim contact is made.

These curb checks are why the wife only gets hub-caps. Easily replaced and cheap.

Even though the vehicle at hand is $44K, doesn't mean the chrome clad rims are any better than those on any other make/model with chrome clad rims. Friend of mine has an '03 BMW, he put chrome 19" rims on it, hit a pot hole roughly 2 weeks later, bending the rim. Being this was out of the manufacturers control, they would not warranty a replacement, so he paid out of pocket. Would venture to guess that FLM will do the same since they can not determine the force of impact and whether or not it was driver negligence. Do you think FLM would replace a bent rim because it hit a pothole? Give it a try, but think they won't cover it.

Good luck BORG, let us know how it turns out.

Edited by V8-X

After two years with my '06 F150 with the 'chrome clad' 18" wheels, no problems. Then again I don't hit curbs and if so, the tires usually roll over the curb, so no direct curb/rim contact is made.

These curb checks are why the wife only gets hub-caps. Easily replaced and cheap.

nuutin personal but I have zero sympathy for self induced issues and consequent denial....would there have been a problem if a curb hadn't been maimed? seriously doubt it...hell, screw it...NO THERE WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN...case closed....

nuutin personal but I have zero sympathy for self induced issues and consequent denial....would there have been a problem if a curb hadn't been maimed? seriously doubt it...hell, screw it...NO THERE WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN...case closed....

Oh, I agree.

It's always the blame game. In this situation, it's "I hit a curb" but blame "faulty Ford quality" for the dent and rust.

No curb check, no dent, no rust.

If I had been warned that my wheels were steel, not alloy, then I would have not bought them. But no, the are 'chrome clad alloys'. Uhh, no they're not, they are steel hubcaps! That means they are susceptible to the same corrosion risk of wheels usually reserved for fleet Rangers. And what's worse, since my 'clad' wheels are not flush and stick out well passed the rim, they are even more susceptible to curb scuffing than a traditional flanged or flange-less rim. And yes, the chrome glad wheels float over the alloys, they looks like like what they are, hub caps! At least hubcaps are plastic and don't rust!

I have solutions to this if they are unwilling to fix this under warranty. Sure, I'm at fault for the scuff, but I would argue the design is faulty and the material quality is poor. Every car encounters curbs at least a few times in their life. In fact, this may not have been a curb, but the wheel guide at my local car wash. There are a lot of things out there that scuff wheels, they need to be able to take a hit without rusting!

If I had been warned that my wheels were steel, not alloy, then I would have not bought them. But no, the are 'chrome clad alloys'. Uhh, no they're not, they are steel hubcaps! That means they are susceptible to the same corrosion risk of wheels usually reserved for fleet Rangers. And what's worse, since my 'clad' wheels are not flush and stick out well passed the rim, they are even more susceptible to curb scuffing than a traditional flanged or flange-less rim. And yes, the chrome glad wheels float over the alloys, they looks like like what they are, hub caps! At least hubcaps are plastic and don't rust!

I have solutions to this if they are unwilling to fix this under warranty. Sure, I'm at fault for the scuff, but I would argue the design is faulty and the material quality is poor. Every car encounters curbs at least a few times in their life. In fact, this may not have been a curb, but the wheel guide at my local car wash. There are a lot of things out there that scuff wheels, they need to be able to take a hit without rusting!

with the same logic, your quarter panels and fenders stick out every further past the wheels. Should they be covered too if they are rubbed gently down to the metal if that starts to rust?

I agree that its an accountability issue. Its not a matter of the part corriding without cause (such as the underside of the Aluminum hoods on some Mustangs) but in fact damage that occured with contact of another object. If the hood got a rock chip and started to rust, is that a Ford problem too?

I understand what you are saying about the hubcap sticking out too far, but that isnt what cause the rust. what cause the rust is the collision with the curb.

When you become a perfect driver they will build you a perfect car.

Until then get some of these:curbfeelers.jpg

:D

What often happens is that the owner of the vehicle will just get a new set of rims under warranty. Not usually an issue,

So you're saying it's OK to cheat Ford? Warranty covers defects in material and workmanship, not self inflicted injuries.

Must work wonders for your 126 report. :ohsnap:

wow, your dealership does that? That's pretty awesome. What level of damage would they consider? I mean, does it matter how deep the scratch or the dent to the rim? Do you also cover doors or paint?

I work at a dealershit and we have had many problems like this. What often happens is that the owner of the vehicle will just get a new set of rims under warranty. Not usually an issue, but I've been some people get a couple new sets by now.

Chrome-clad wheels are horrible, I would never get them.

note to Borg...lookup the word alloy...An alloy is a solid solution or homogeneous mixture of two or more elements, at least one of which is a metal, which itself has metallic properties. It usually has different properties from those of its component elements. Alloying one metal with others often enhances its properties....could be argued that chrome coating over steel IS an alloy hybrid....

and investigate Lincolns new self parking system...why can't people raise their hands in this country and admit fault? I HIT A CURB.....it lept out at me.....this is the type of situation that causes a lot of consumer dealer angst...dealer says no...now THEY/ Ford suck....ridiculous claim borg.

So you're saying it's OK to cheat Ford? Warranty covers defects in material and workmanship, not self inflicted injuries.

Must work wonders for your 126 report. :ohsnap:

so it's also okay for Ford to cheat the customer by misrepresenting the material used to construct the wheels?

so it's also okay for Ford to cheat the customer by misrepresenting the material used to construct the wheels?

clad 1 (kld) KEY

TRANSITIVE VERB:

clad , clad·ding , clads

To sheathe or cover (a metal) with a metal.

To cover with a protective or insulating layer of other material.

it IS essentially a hubcap!

I wouldnt get them, but thats really only because i dont care for chrome wheels.

lookup the word alloy...

An alloy is a solid solution or homogeneous mixture of two or more elements, at least one of which is a metal, which itself has metallic properties.

could be argued that chrome coating over steel IS an alloy hybrid....

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Not quite

Maybe a composite

However, I do agreee with you on the issue being discussed.

Edited by Hemiman

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Not quite

Maybe a composite

However, I do agreee with you on the issue being discussed.

I hear you, but what IS the mixture of components that make the "steel" wheel...is it actually PURE steel, or a mixture?....personally I think someone taking the word Alloy so vehemetley is scab picking and an attempted "out" for their own error. Oh...here we go...Steel is an ALLOY consisting mostly of iron, with a carbon content between 0.2 and 2.04% by weight, depending on grade. Carbon is the most cost-effective alloying material for iron, but various other alloying elements are used such as manganese, chromium, vanadium, and tungsten. Carbon and other elements act as a hardening agent, preventing dislocations in the iron atom crystal lattice from sliding past one another.

Edited by Deanh

I hear you, but what IS the mixture of components that make the "steel" wheel...is it actually PURE steel, or a mixture?....personally I think someone taking the word Alloy so vehemetley is scab picking and an attempted "out" for their own error. Oh...here we go...Steel is an ALLOY consisting mostly of iron, with a carbon content between 0.2 and 2.04% by weight, depending on grade. Carbon is the most cost-effective alloying material for iron, but various other alloying elements are used such as manganese, chromium, vanadium, and tungsten. Carbon and other elements act as a hardening agent, preventing dislocations in the iron atom crystal lattice from sliding past one another.

I was about to say...STEEL is an alloy in itself. What you need to look for is the word "aluminum" in there somewhere to know that you aren't getting a steel wheel. Or just look at the wheel closer. You can usually tell just by the design. :shrug:

clad 1 (kld) KEY

TRANSITIVE VERB:

clad , clad·ding , clads

To sheathe or cover (a metal) with a metal.

To cover with a protective or insulating layer of other material.

it IS essentially a hubcap!

I wouldnt get them, but thats really only because i dont care for chrome wheels.

so Lincoln is using hubcaps. nice touch on a $44k CUV. So back to BORGs issue, if he had known his $44k CUV had hubcaps over shitty steel truck rims, he wouldn't have ordered them.

Edited by J-150

so Lincoln is using hubcaps. nice touch on a $44k CUV. So back to BORGs issue, if he had known his $44k CUV had hubcaps over shitty steel truck rims, he wouldn't have ordered them.

Its a CLADDED wheel. It says chrome CLAD wheel. it does NOT say chrome PLATED wheel.

it SAYS so in the brochures and ordering guides.

Hell, i knew what they were after first hearing of the term on Dodge Rams and their 20 inch wheels about 7 or 8 years ago. Its not a new thing.