Chrome Clad Wheels

One of the chrome clad wheels on my Lincoln MKX is rusting. I had no idea these were steel, but indeed I have a healthy rust spot on the edge of my wheel where I dent it a slight bit after hitting a curb. I have ALWAYS hated the concept of 'Chrome Clad'. Every chrome wheel I've owned until now were gorgeous solid alloys. This will absolutely be the last time I get a car with chrome clad. If they corrode this easily, then wait a few years and you'll see a bunch of chrome clads in horrible condition.

I'm going to take this to the dealer, see if this is covered under warranty.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One of the chrome clad wheels on my Lincoln MKX is rusting. I had no idea these were steel, but indeed I have a healthy rust spot on the edge of my wheel where I dent it a slight bit after hitting a curb. I have ALWAYS hated the concept of 'Chrome Clad'. Every chrome wheel I've owned until now were gorgeous solid alloys. This will absolutely be the last time I get a car with chrome clad. If they corrode this easily, then wait a few years and you'll see a bunch of chrome clads in horrible condition.

Good luck with your problem. My Flex has polished aluminum or whatever it is, so hopefully I won't have to worry about that. I don't really like the idea of 'chrome clad' either, although most won't really notice (unless something like this happens to them).

If the dealer thing doesn't work out, how about a little bit of fine steel wool and some chrome cleaner, followed by a coat of wax?

At least the rust part of it will be put into remission.

-Ovaltine

I think these wheels are plastic chrome over a steel wheel. Last year Ford had a ton of problems with the Edge wheels along with them being on national back order.

I thought they were plastic as well, and then it dented and started to rust, so indeed they are steel. And the description of the wheels is chrome clad alloy or aluminum wheels. So they are probably chrome steel over alloy wheels.

With improper care you might.

The wheel plating you have is nothing new. 04 Cobra, 02 Harley F150 both use that coating. My Dad has a 02 Harley F150 and his wheels look as good as the day he bought the truck, Even thru Michigan winters. But he has never hit a curb with his either.

They will warrant them if there is pitting. Im not sure what they will do for curb rash.

With improper care you might.

The wheel plating you have is nothing new. 04 Cobra, 02 Harley F150 both use that coating. My Dad has a 02 Harley F150 and his wheels look as good as the day he bought the truck, Even thru Michigan winters. But he has never hit a curb with his either.

They will warrant them if there is pitting. Im not sure what they will do for curb rash.

No no, the examples you cite are solid alloy wheels. I'm talking about chrome clad, which are glorified chrome hubcaps bolted over alloy wheels. They are terrible and I was really disgusted when I discovered this. There is nothing you can do to prevent these form going bad quickly! You can scratch the hell out of chromed alloy wheels, and they won't rust, crack, or pop off. You nick these chrome clad ones, and they go bad. It really saddens me to think how bad these wheels are going to look as these cars age.

And believe me, I take really good care of my cars! We're talking about top-of-the-line detailing once a week!

You hit a curb, damaged your wheel, and you want Ford to pay? WTF, don't hit curbs.

A minor dent to your wheels on $44,000 Lincoln should not result in rusting! Wheels need to withstand minor scratches without going bad within 1 year of ownership! I have had tons of Lincolns before, first one with this chrome clad nonsense, and nothing like this problem has occurred! It just goes to show you that my instincts on this were right, I knew I didn't want this chrome clad nonsense and I didn't pay attention to it!

I'll take a photo and post it once I get the car cleaned sometime this week. You'll see how minor the dent is. And I've never manage to 'dent' a wheel before, but this is flimsy junk. You can flex them with your fingers like a hubcap.

Edited by BORG

Just a few pieces of information...

All of the "Chrome Clad" (Ford and Chrysler term) or "Chrome Tech" (GM term) wheels that I have seen are cast aluminum wheels with a chromed plastic face glued to the wheel. The face is not removable (or at least, is not meant to ever be removed). There is no steel anywhere in these wheels. I haven't seen the MKX wheel up close, so maybe something is different with that one, but I'm speaking in general.

The reason these chrome clad wheels exist is twofold. (1) Directly chroming a cast aluminum wheel is a very expensive process. Typically, on cars that had optional chromed aluminum wheels, the option cost was $500-800 just for the upgrade from regular aluminum to chromed. (2) Chromed alloys had a lot of problems with peeling in the bead seat area causing persistent air leaks. With the chrome clad wheels, there is no plating in that area (because just the plastic face is plated) and this problem does not occur.

What I think they should do is just change the design so the chromed faces are easily removable. That way, when a problem like this occurs, just the face can be replaced and not the whole wheel. GM's "Fascia Spoke" wheels (which ARE steel wheels under the plastic covers) are like this. The face is just like a normal wheel cover that is easily replaced.

-Andrew L

No no, the examples you cite are solid alloy wheels. I'm talking about chrome clad, which are glorified chrome hubcaps bolted over alloy wheels. They are terrible and I was really disgusted when I discovered this. There is nothing you can do to prevent these form going bad quickly! You can scratch the hell out of chromed alloy wheels, and they won't rust, crack, or pop off. You nick these chrome clad ones, and they go bad. It really saddens me to think how bad these wheels are going to look as these cars age.

And believe me, I take really good care of my cars! We're talking about top-of-the-line detailing once a week!

Oh I see, Im sorry. I recall you mentioning your passion for keeping her clean though.

What I think they should do is just change the design so the chromed faces are easily removable. That way, when a problem like this occurs, just the face can be replaced and not the whole wheel.

But then there's the increased likelyhood that they could come off during normal vehicular activities.

All of the "Chrome Clad" (Ford and Chrysler term) or "Chrome Tech" (GM term) wheels that I have seen are cast aluminum wheels with a chromed plastic face glued to the wheel. The face is not removable (or at least, is not meant to ever be removed). There is no steel anywhere in these wheels. I haven't seen the MKX wheel up close, so maybe something is different with that one, but I'm speaking in general.

-Andrew L

The 17" Chrome-Clad wheels on the 2004-2008 F-150's are over the standard steel wheels.f1508_pg_083_ext_lg.jpg

Edited by F250

Anyone know what the process was for the Ford Explorer Limited chrome wheels that came standard in 04 and 05 because those wheels are the worst wheels i've yet to see on a vehicle in my 8 years running a detailing shop.

A close second is the junk that pontiac (GM) uses for all their cars.

The 17" Chrome-Clad wheels on the 2004-2008 F-150's are over the standard steel wheels.f1508_pg_083_ext_lg.jpg

Just a few pieces of information...

Isn't it possible that Borg's wheels are - just like in the "good ole days" of the Cragar S/S - forged alloy center with a steel rim(*)? This might be true of many of today's alloy wheels for a couple reasons: 1. A steel rim is slightly better when hitting a bad pothole at speed, as the steel flexes a little bit where aluminum alloy could shatter. 2. It's quite a bit cheaper to manufacture a steel rim than an alloy rim.

(*) Note: the term 'rim' is used here in its proper meaning of "the outside ring of a wheel."

The 17" Chrome-Clad wheels on the 2004-2008 F-150's are over the standard steel wheels.

You're right, I wasn't even thinking about that type. GM and Chrysler use those too, on pickup trucks. They use thin, pressed-on stainless steel faces that are a direct flush fit against the underlying steel wheel (so the same wheel style is usually offered in both silver painted and chrome clad). These don't have problems with peeling/corrosion because the "chrome" faces are really stainless steel. That wouldn't work so well on a wheel where the face design doesn't perfectly conform to the underlying wheel design. If you look at those chrome-clad alloys from the back, you'll sometimes see that there's thick plastic or even foam filler between the actual wheel and the chrome face.

But then there's the increased likelyhood that they could come off during normal vehicular activities.

As a hubcap dealer I would be happy with that arrangement ;) But seriously, they don't have to use "bang-on" retention. They could bolt under the lugs, or they could use the locking lug caps like GM (and previously Ford) uses to retain its wheel covers. Those only fly off when you install them wrong.

-Andrew L

^^^^I was being ironic...

One of the chrome clad wheels on my Lincoln MKX is rusting.... I dent it a slight bit after hitting a curb
-BORG

Notice I said 'hitting a ditch at 95mph'... If you vehicle drives away unscathed after that then it must've been crafted God himself.