Chrome Clad Wheels

Its a CLADDED wheel. It says chrome CLAD wheel. it does NOT say chrome PLATED wheel.

it SAYS so in the brochures and ordering guides.

Hell, i knew what they were after first hearing of the term on Dodge Rams and their 20 inch wheels about 7 or 8 years ago. Its not a new thing.

AND they look great to boot.....

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

so Lincoln is using hubcaps. nice touch on a $44k CUV. So back to BORGs issue, if he had known his $44k CUV had hubcaps over shitty steel truck rims, he wouldn't have ordered them.

since they are not removable I wouldn't catergarize them as hub caps.......CLAD would be the operative word i think....oh no, I'm straw pickin....

Except that they aren't "hubcaps over shitty steel truck rims".

BORG -- can you post pics?

but that's what everyone in their infinite wisdom has classified them as. Just go back through and watch everyone exlapin what cladding is and then what alloys are.

since they are not removable I wouldn't catergarize them as hub caps.......CLAD would be the operative word i think....oh no, I'm straw pickin....

ah, but the posters in this thread have told us that they are in fact hubcaps and that alloy means steel. Because its only Aluminum if the brochure states it in that many words.

but that's what everyone in their infinite wisdom has classified them as. Just go back through and watch everyone exlapin what cladding is and then what alloys are.

i said it was 'essentially' a hubcap. It does not mean its exactly the same thing. It performs a similar purpose but its not the exact same thing.

The cladding is a full cover that is permanently bonded to the wheel.

Whats a hubcap? Does it fit that exact description? no. is it similar in funcion? Yes. However, are they the same thing? No.

My Ranger had chrome hubcaps on it when i bought it. Now wait, does that mean its cladding? Nope. They were removeable full width hubcaps made of plastic that wore vacuum formed chrome. If it was a permandently bonded cap over the wheel it would be a cladding.

Its a CLADDED wheel. It says chrome CLAD wheel. it does NOT say chrome PLATED wheel.

it SAYS so in the brochures and ordering guides.

Hell, i knew what they were after first hearing of the term on Dodge Rams and their 20 inch wheels about 7 or 8 years ago. Its not a new thing.

When I bought a Taurus in March 2008, it was not obvious to me. When I realized what "chrome clad" really was and how much I paid for them, I felt that I got ripped off. They are really nice looking wheels, but leaving me, the consumer, to figure out what the weasel words "chrome clad" really meant was not fair. I did some research after that, and learned that chrome tends to peel from aluminum, so "chrome clad" will likely last longer, since chrome has a stronger bond to the steel cladding than it would aluminum. If Ford had told me this I would not have been so shocked the first time I had a closer look at my new rims.

Edited by mazda626

Doesn't look like the cladding is very thick! In the meantime, if I was you I would clean off the surface rust and put some wax on there to prevent it from getting any worse.

Yeah, I'm sure it will rust through in no time, they are very thin and soft. Like I said, you can push and warp them with your finger, particularly at the loosey goosey edges. The only thing I don't like about this car are the wheels, I think I have always said that even when they weren't rusting, they just look cheap...and they are!

Edited by BORG

No no, the examples you cite are solid alloy wheels. I'm talking about chrome clad, which are glorified chrome hubcaps bolted over alloy wheels. They are terrible and I was really disgusted when I discovered this. There is nothing you can do to prevent these form going bad quickly! You can scratch the hell out of chromed alloy wheels, and they won't rust, crack, or pop off. You nick these chrome clad ones, and they go bad. It really saddens me to think how bad these wheels are going to look as these cars age.

And believe me, I take really good care of my cars! We're talking about top-of-the-line detailing once a week!

Chromed alloy wheels have problems too. Here are many examples of problems not covered under warranty by Calfornia Chrome Inc.:

http://www.calchrome.com/warranty.php

I have never had wheels that didn't corrode eventually. To prevent curb rash I try not to let anyone else drive my car.

Edited by mazda626

hubcaps= removable, they aren't, Steel= Alloy...it is.....

then what are they?

people seem to be claiming things and then retratcting their statements.

seems to me that BORG got shitty steel wheels on a $44k truck.

Edited by J-150

whats the alternative, Chrome plating...in which case the situation would be the same or worse....not mentioning the imminent eventual flaking........

To go a non-chrome route, they could use polished aluminum, like on the Flex and Edge Sport - it looks similar to chrome, but isn't as shiny/reflective though.

I'll attach pictures of my wheels - and for a handy comparison, the center caps where the Ford badge goes is chrome, while the rest is polished aluminum.

post-28332-1230768834_thumb.jpg

post-28332-1230768849_thumb.jpg

post-28332-1230768861_thumb.jpg

then what are they?

people seem to be claiming things and then retratcting their statements.

seems to me that BORG got shitty steel wheels on a $44k truck.

not shitty wheels at all...just bad driving/ parking practices followed by a big WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! come on J, he obviously liked the way they looked when he bought em, now hates them after hes damaged em....ACCOUNTABILITY!

To go a non-chrome route, they could use polished aluminum, like on the Flex and Edge Sport - it looks similar to chrome, but isn't as shiny/reflective though.

I'll attach pictures of my wheels - and for a handy comparison, the center caps where the Ford badge goes is chrome, while the rest is polished aluminum.

polished alum coated with a clearcoat, center cap is plastic coated with chrome....LOVE those Flex's.....and in a way I see Borgs point, but they ( capped wheels ) look great and are faultless and easy to take care of if undamaged, and it obviously wouldn't be an issue if in fact they were not...classic case of customer incurring damage and crying wolf.....

I would always go with aluminum polished wheels, I think they look better anyways.

My 2002 Taurus SES Sport came with aluminum wheels with Ford logo in middle. Only the Sport model got the Ford logo in middle. The also must be polished because after six Michigan winters with road salt, they look as good as new and no pitting. My '99 Taurus had aluminum wheels, and they pitted after only two winters. I also like the Ford logo in middle better as my '99 didn't.

...classic case of customer incurring damage and crying wolf.....

normally I would be 100% behind you on this Dean.

But knowing BORG from this board, he just doesn't strike me as the type to piss and moan for Ford to pay for his own errors. He isn't some troll that just showed up to bitch and tell us how evil Ford is (Lemon, Otis, the fat guy with the broken Focus seat, et al) Hell, if that were the case, I would be all over the guy too.

But this is BORG. He has never been the type to want something for nothing (at least based on his posts here).

normally I would be 100% behind you on this Dean.

But knowing BORG from this board, he just doesn't strike me as the type to piss and moan for Ford to pay for his own errors. He isn't some troll that just showed up to bitch and tell us how evil Ford is (Lemon, Otis, the fat guy with the broken Focus seat, et al) Hell, if that were the case, I would be all over the guy too.

But this is BORG. He has never been the type to want something for nothing (at least based on his posts here).

in terms of ethics I totally agree, guy is standup....which is why I'm so confused that he even thinks he has a valid case....truley, it makes NO sense....

in terms of ethics I totally agree, guy is standup....which is why I'm so confused that he even thinks he has a valid case....truley, it makes NO sense....

exactly. there must be more to this. so in that case, I will take BORGs word for it in the absence of the rest of the story (as I would yours Dean)

Thanks to those who are backing me up! I baby my cars, I treat them like gold and treat every problem. I love Ford and its products, I buy alot of them ;)! And it is because of my extensive experience with Ford products that this problem is surprising me. I'm mostly concerned by all those people who are not as careful with their cars that will invariably scrape these wheels. I have scraped chrome alloy wheels before with no noticeable damage or side effects. This was just a MINOR scuff, I emphasis minor! It's only because I'm extremely meticulous that I noticed the tiny scuff several months before the rust showed up. I may have scuffed the wheel slightly, perhaps by a curb or at the car wash. It is my belief that in this case, rusting is the result of poor material quality. Simply stated, these wheels need to withstand real-world conditions without going bad so quickly. If I let this go, the entire edge of the wheel will rust away by the end of the winter. If these were alloy, I would not have seen the same problem. I strongly urge Ford to either fix this problem or eliminate this type of claded wheel from their lineup.

This does explain why the MKS does not have chrome clad wheels and instead has polished aluminium (sharp!). The MKZ had chrome alloys, but now they are going to clad instead(hideous!). However, the sport model gets the polish aluminium...guess which one I'll stay away from.

Edited by BORG