Ford Motor Company

"Ideally, having a workplace that accommodates diversity helps a company appeal to a broader pool of talent, allowing it to hire better than average workers. In the long run, that means better products, better profits."

That's the theory. That's what I hear in Buisness school. Now what I see:

Here in Canada, a company that " accomodates diversity" actually hires anything that's called "minority", to get some tax refunds. I don't mean to be racist or anything, nor to imply that people from other ethnics are less competant (I work with Arabs from North Africa, and Black people mostly from Haiti, and they work very well), but the rules here are a way corporations do to pay less taxes.

In January, the company where I work will start hiring those people to have a good number of them for the accounting books. They mostly wont do the 500 pre-union hours where you can be kicked out for no reason.

(For un-skilled jobs, because as a student, that's what I've been working) If you're a white male and you're looking for work, GOOD LUCK. Anyone else will get the job before you, nevermind the fact they're less competant than you. Talk about equity huh?

Edited by Patate

Ford Motor Company was recognized as one of the top American corporations on DiversityInc's list of Top 50 Companies for Diversity. We're also proud to be named in Latina Style magazine's list of 50 best companies for Latinas to work for in the United States.

--------------------

adolfo

New Cars

With all due respect, in reality,that award and .50 might buy you a cup of coffee. Hopefully there will come a day when these type of awards are not needed....but as long as there is money in keeping folks uptight about race and diversity...this will still be news.

Got this in an email today. Point: Ford continues to lose the PR battle.

A Japanese company ( Toyota ) and an American company (Ford Motor Co.) decided to have a canoe race on the Missouri River . Both teams practiced long and hard to reach their peak performance before the race.

On the big day, the Japanese won by a mile.

The Americans, very discouraged and depressed, decided to investigate the reason for the crushing defeat. A management team made up of senior management was formed to investigate and recommend appropriate action.

Their conclusion was the Japanese had 8 people rowing and 1 person steering, while the American team had 7 people steering and 2 people rowing.

Feeling a deeper study was in order; American management hired a consulting company and paid them a large amount of money for a second opinion.

They advised, of course, that too many people were steering the boat, while not enough people were rowing.

Not sure of how to utilize that information, but wanting to prevent another loss to the Japanese, the rowing team's management structure was totally reorganized to 4 steering supervisors, 2 area steering superintendents and 1 assistant superintendent steering manager.

They also implemented a new performance system that would give the 2 people rowing the boat greater incentive to work harder. It was called the 'Rowing Team Quality First Program,' with meetings, dinners and free pens for the rowers. There was discussion of getting new paddles, canoes and other equipment, extra vacation days for practices and bonuses. The pension program was trimmed to 'equal the competition' and some of the resultant savings were channeled into morale boosting programs and teamwork posters.

The next year the Japanese won by two miles.

Humiliated, the American management laid-off one rower, halted development of a new canoe, sold all the paddles, and canceled all capital investments for new equipment. The money saved was distributed to the Senior Executives as bonuses.

The next year, try as he might, the lone designated rower was unab le to even finish the race (having no paddles,) so he was laid off for unacceptable performance, all canoe equipment was sold and the next year's racing team was out-sourced to India

Sadly, the End.

Here's something else to think about: Ford has spent the last thirty years moving all its factories out of the U.S., claiming they can't make money paying American wages.

TOYOTA has spent the last thirty years building more than a dozen plants inside the US. The last quarter's results:

TOYOTA makes 4 billion in profits while Ford racked up 9 billion in losses.

Ford folks are still scratching their heads, building inferior products that people don’t want, negotiating with the UAW and the Ford Exec’s are still collecting bonuses.

IF THIS WEREN'T SO TRUE IT MIGHT BE FUNNY

Gee. Posting an e-mail full of lies and half-truths. Wow. That does -=wonders=- for your credibility LS

Thanks for your reasoned response to yet another troll. For the life of me I can't understand why people get such a kick out of coming on BON just to bait. I guess it makes as much sense as the individual posting on the "Non Employees In the Employee Forum" thread that he (or she) was insulted by what they read there. I'm not saying there aren't some knuckle-draggers in the Employee section....but why come on and incite them with your first post? There's plenty of opportunity for that on the other forums.

Diversity ... interesting topic. It's funny that the only thing that comes to most people's minds is skin color though. I personally feel like a person's upbringing and background is a far better measure than skin color. Which is also why I feel that quotas are ridiculous.

Edited by SVT_MAN

Ideally, having a workplace that accommodates diversity helps a company appeal to a broader pool of talent, allowing it to hire better than average workers. In the long run, that means better products, better profits.

That is the theory, but I don't buy it.

Having retired from Ford Engineering about 2 years ago, there are woefully few Blacks and Hispanics (the 2 largest minorities in the US) working in Engineering. Same is true for women of any race, creed or color. Pick any other minority group and Ford is well represented.

The auto industry and Ford in particular, has had very few "new hires" over the past 3-5 years. You would be lucky to find more than a couple dozen salaried employees from the Top 10 universities with less than 5 years of seniority. (Wayne State and U of M Dearborn are not Top 10 schools.)

What Engineering student wants to work in the auto industry these days ?

That is the theory, but I don't buy it.

Having retired from Ford Engineering about 2 years ago, there are woefully few Blacks and Hispanics (the 2 largest minorities in the US) working in Engineering. Same is true for women of any race, creed or color. Pick any other minority group and Ford is well represented.

The auto industry and Ford in particular, has had very few "new hires" over the past 3-5 years. You would be lucky to find more than a couple dozen salaried employees from the Top 10 universities with less than 5 years of seniority. (Wayne State and U of M Dearborn are not Top 10 schools.)

What Engineering student wants to work in the auto industry these days ?

hmmmm....me...