2011 Focus EV

Well, didn't Mullaly say before Congress that Ford was planning an electric vehicle by 2011 or 2012?

yes

Focus seems like as good a candidate for it as any other vehicle...

Actually, I was expecting an EV Fiesta.

Either way, I'll bet it is done by the folks doing the EV Transit and Transit Connect. Both of these are near 100% outsourced.

yes

Either way, I'll bet it is done by the folks doing the EV Transit and Transit Connect. Both of these are near 100% outsourced.

I would think that the Fiesta was designed to be cheap to build. The Focus was designed to be flexible to fill as many markets as posible. So it would be easier to make the Focus into things like EV, HEV, etc.

yes

Wouldn't a Fiesta lose pretty much all its cargo room converting to electric? There's not too many nooks or crannies to hide a sufficiently-sized battery pack. With a Focus, you'd at least have a few cubic feet left.

Looks like Ford feels that a PHEV is too expensive, so they are going to do it without an engine.

I doubt we're going to be seeing a pure-electric vehicle anytime soon, at least not in any sort of mainstream vehicle. Even the Volt will have a gas engine to generate electricity when the batteries are drained. I suspect any EV from Ford would be similar.

I doubt we're going to be seeing a pure-electric vehicle anytime soon, at least not in any sort of mainstream vehicle. Even the Volt will have a gas engine to generate electricity when the batteries are drained. I suspect any EV from Ford would be similar.

That all depends on how they want to market the car. The Volt is supposed to be a no compromises car. Maybe Ford wants to go after that market for the car that gets you to work and back every day without ever having to fuel up. Mini's doing it, and apparently all the electric mini's are already spoken for. Obviously it's not for everybody, but I think there's a significant market. If you build it in such a way that down the road you could ad a range extender, all the better.

An all electric car would not be a real car. But if they can keep the weight and the cost down, then they could make a good City car.

Like a Think, a Smart or an electric Golf cart. If they can get the cost down by removing the engine, I would rather take a Focus EV than a Smart.

On the other hand, a pure-electric vehicle would not go far on the highway. For this market, a Pure-electric Fiesta would make more sense if you want to keep the price below that of a smart.

yes

The Focus is the same platform as the Transit Connect, so any EV Focus development is mostly free.