Jan US sales 'more robust' than expected-Ford

Jan US sales 'more robust' than expected-Ford

DETROIT, Jan 11 (Reuters) - U.S. auto industry sales have been stronger than expected in the early part of January across all vehicle segments and automakers, Ford Motor Co sales chief Jim Farley said on Sunday.

"All I can tell you is that demand is a little more robust than we expected," Farley told Reuters on the sidelines of the North American International Auto Show. "I would say a little, not dramatically."

U.S. auto sales fell 18 percent to about 13.2 million vehicles in 2008 from the prior year, battered by the downturn in the economy and most automakers expect sales to decline from there in 2009. Ford expects U.S. sales in the 12 million to 12.5 million unit range.

Farley said the seasonally adjusted annual rate of sales, a key measure for the industry and economists, had been slightly above Ford's expectations for the low 10 million unit range through early January.

Some of that could be due to incentives that were carried over from December, though incentives largely are not set now to be carried through the entire month.

Ford, along with most automakers, expects U.S. light vehicle sales to be much lower in the first half of the year than in the second half of the year.

I wonder if extending Employee Pricing until the 12th had anything to do with it.

Does Ford count a sale at the point a dealer orders or receives a vehicle or when a customer orders one or takes one off the lot ?? Only reason is all these 2009 F-150's that are being built. My local dealers are loading up their lots but I'm not seeing that many on the roads yet. Would these be considered sold even if there are no customers for them yet ??

Does Ford count a sale at the point a dealer orders or receives a vehicle or when a customer orders one or takes one off the lot ?? Only reason is all these 2009 F-150's that are being built. My local dealers are loading up their lots but I'm not seeing that many on the roads yet. Would these be considered sold even if there are no customers for them yet ??

I'm sure that sold means "customer takes delivery".

sale date.....

Hmmm, my dealer has like 2 or 3, and they're all low XL and XLT (at best) versions now. There was a few Lariats, but I think they're gone. Still have yet to see a Platinum anywhere (auto shows, dealer, etc).