Where's the Bronco

94bronco

you get mothing?....one word....Raptor.

The Raptor is a specialized vehicle.....The reason Jeep sold 70-90K TJs a year and even more JKs is because of versatility. You can take the top off and go to the beach, load up the camp gear and hit the trails....etc. The Raptor is for Deserts and Dunes....basically all those Cali and Arizona people. Thats why the Bronco is so missed.

Correct you are.........I am the biggest bronco fan there is and they canceled the F-100 which the Bronco was based on. The Ranger has its life extended and us true 4x4 guys (not you guys in pickups with BFG's, but us REAL wheelers) don't get anything....yet. It was originally being developed on the Defender 90 tried and true chasis, but since selling Landy, Ford is without a offroad brand.

There is good reason to think that Ford wants Jeep. They have been talking about it since 2002....Although I have not heard Allan comment...

Um...isn't the F150 SVT Raptor considered offroad capable? lol

whoops didn't see your next post...sorry haha

Anyway... based off those videos, the Raptor would be great for mudding and theres some potential for rocks too. I can't really think of anything the Raptor wouldn't be able to handle. Is there anything particular you don't think it would go through?

Edited by ray101988

If Ford built a a proper off road Bronco along the lines of the orginal about the size of the old landcruiser would be ideal.. I had to settle for the last true Off road SUV Ford made the Excursion. Now with it gone there is nothing. I imagine I will be hanging on to the X for many years to come.

Thing is the Bronco is almost a no dollars build. Most of the truck could be done with off the shelf parts especially if it was a BOF. A simple ladder frame with solid axels. Sort of like the wrangler

Offer an ecoboost 4 banger and an eco boost V6. The solid axel can come from the stang just narrow it.

a DANA 44 front rob the 4x4 transfer case from the ranger. Coil front Modifed 3 link coil rear down size the Super duty steering linakge, Bang rolling chassis. The biggest bucks would be the body but again Ford would proboly have 10 years before having to do major changes. We are at the 10 year mark on the current SD with minimal sheetmetal changes with the basic body structure it's self being the same.

The interior could be kept spartan like the concept reducing costs even further.

Offer a 2wd version with front IRS all it would take for the swap is a subframe like the Panthers that just bolts in. This would not be a big dollars vehicle to do. Also it would have global appeal. This would be able to be sold in all of Fords global markets. It certianly would round out Ford's truck line up.

Matthew

• 6 months later...
If Ford built a a proper off road Bronco along the lines of the orginal about the size of the old landcruiser would be ideal.. I had to settle for the last true Off road SUV Ford made the Excursion. Now with it gone there is nothing. I imagine I will be hanging on to the X for many years to come.

Thing is the Bronco is almost a no dollars build. Most of the truck could be done with off the shelf parts especially if it was a BOF. A simple ladder frame with solid axels. Sort of like the wrangler

Offer an ecoboost 4 banger and an eco boost V6. The solid axel can come from the stang just narrow it.

a DANA 44 front rob the 4x4 transfer case from the ranger. Coil front Modifed 3 link coil rear down size the Super duty steering linakge, Bang rolling chassis. The biggest bucks would be the body but again Ford would proboly have 10 years before having to do major changes. We are at the 10 year mark on the current SD with minimal sheetmetal changes with the basic body structure it's self being the same.

The interior could be kept spartan like the concept reducing costs even further.

Offer a 2wd version with front IRS all it would take for the swap is a subframe like the Panthers that just bolts in. This would not be a big dollars vehicle to do. Also it would have global appeal. This would be able to be sold in all of Fords global markets. It certianly would round out Ford's truck line up.

Matthew

Smartest post in here. I agree 100%!! I'd buy a new one if they made it... till then I'm shopping for an early 70s Bronco :reading:

I had to settle for the last true Off road SUV Ford made the Excursion. Now with it gone there is nothing. I imagine I will be hanging on to the X for many years to come.

I wouldn't say the Excursion is a "true Off road SUV". I mean, what could you really do with that big hulking behemoth off road? I would venture to say the Explorer will do better off road due to its smaller size and maneuverability.

The Bronco would be cool, but it needs to wait until Ford is in a more financially stable position with some extra cash to toss around on niche products.

I mean, what could you really do with that big hulking behemoth off road?

Pound what ever you're driving over into submission!

I think that he was refering to the fact that the Excursion had solid axles... thus making it a true off-road vehicle. Pre torsion bar (i.e. TTB) Rangers & Explorers are great off-road vehicles... Later models? Not so much.

I think the Raptor will be great... especially with some suspension tuning and a lower low range, for crawling that is.

Edited by therealmrmustang

The Bronco would be cool, but it needs to wait until Ford is in a more financially stable position with some extra cash to toss around on niche products.

I would have to agree with this statement. Just as long as they do it. The Wrangler needs competition.

The Ford faithful are running out of old Bronco's... Have you seen what a nice '66-'77 goes for these days?! :blink:

i loved the bronco and bronco II. However they are a relic of the past with high gas prices and all. I think ford will not build it and how many fj are toyota building? i hardly see them anymore. I think ford may drop the explorer after it goes d3 front wheel drive... i give it two years tops. I think ford will go cross over crazy.... a mustang crossover anyone? hot rod mag did one a while ago.

So, what exactly is a Humvee? Is that not a true off road vehicle? I know, apples and oranges, but having a SFA doesn't make it a true off-road vehicle.

The HUMVEE's also have gear reduction hubs for better ground clearance. And is a 100K a copy.

It is all about cost. Ideally the Bronco should be topping out in the low to mid 20's and start in the mid to high teens for the NA market. A solid front axle is super cheap to install and engineer, bullet proof strength wise and lends it's self well to being lifted and sticks to the KISS principle of engineering design.

There is still a market for a small fully capable off road SUV. it would have global appeal and could be sold in every single market Ford competes in. Plus if it is kept available in basic trim (hose out interior no PW or PD or other electric/electronic options) will allow it to be priced to low enough to compete in emerging markets were roads are not always well maintained or even exists. It will be able compete directly against the 70 series Land cruiser in many developing regions (the 70 series land cruiser has been in continuous production since 1985.. )

Put the EU 2.4L diesel in it for those markets that require Diesel availability and the Eco boost 4 banger for the NA market with possibly a 6 banger as an option. Use out of the bins corporate parts were ever possible. The drive can be all off the shelf parts.

The single biggest expense with be the sheet metal. But Like the Wrangler Ford will be able to have a decade or more of production to pay for the tooling and design.

And the Excursion is the last true off road SUV Ford made curbs boulders rough roads it eats up with ease stuff that would destroy the low slung fragile IRS suspensions on the Explorer and Expedition And with the super duty springs under the Excursion they are more capable than any super duty 4x4 due to the better weight distribution.

See some of us actually do work our vehicles for more than running to the beer store and dropping the kids off to swim lessons some of us actually do work our vehicles off road pounding down mile after mile of oil lease logging and mining roads.

As for being huge not really they are no bigger than a reg cab reg box super duty. Compared to some of the pop cans on the road now passing as cars yes them seem big but are no bigger than any of the millions of full size reg cab reg box pick up's on the road.

Ford screwed the Excursion and the Expedition by marketing them for soccer moms. The Excursion got a compromised suspension set up that left them wandering all over the road on the hyway and the Expedition and Exploerer are all but useless on any thing but pavement or graded gravel roads.

You can sell a true off road capable SUV to a soccer mom a student a secretary or near anyone but you can not sell an off road poser to someone that needs or wants a true off road capable vehicle.

Might as well do it right and appeal to the largest number of consumers possible on a global scale.

Matthew

Edited by matthewq4b

Nick is right about this one. The segment has been dying for years. Rumor is Nissan is considering killing off everything attached to the Titan platform, which includes the Armada, Frontier and the Xterra. Maybe Pathfinder, too.

I'd like to see Ford build a great off-road Bronco, but if anything, they will build a weeniemobile that sells well. Ford needs to build vehicles that sell well.

Honestly, there are plenty of people that buy all kinds of off-road vehicles, pour thousands of dollars into them, (lifts, chrome, winch, swampers, shovels-saw a chrome shovel once...awesome) and never, ever take them off-road. Why? Because they want people to think they are "tough". Just like tattoos. It makes people "instant bad-asses", right? It won't matter if it CAN go off-road, right? Jusr so long as it looks like.

A Raptor, BTW is a great truck, but too big for most trails I have been on.

You just don't see these vehicles anymore. Honestly, anyone that seriously off-roads is going to buy a Jeep, tear it down, and build it up again.

Which is exactly what is being done with 30 year old Bronco's. But we're running out of good, buildable tubs. Jeeps are still in production.

...And old Blazers, Land Cruisers, and International Scouts.

There are reasons those vehicles aren't still in production. I'm not saying I like it, it's just a fact people aren't buying them. I'd be surprised if Toyotas FJ Cruiser lasts without moving to a CUV platform.

The Nissan shares the same chassis and power-train across a ton of vehicles, and it still isn't financially viable for them.

Wrangler sales were 4520 last month. (Best sales numbers for all of Jeep brand for the month)

Xterra sales were 1182 last month.

And my personal favorite, the newest vehicle in the off-road/UTE catagory, Toyota's FJ Cruiser, sold a whopping 386 units last month.

Hummer sold 799 units across the brand.

Is this really a market where Ford needs to be spending money to develop new product right now?

If you look at those numbers, If someone wants a true OFFRV, they go to the Wrangler (and the 4-door model has helped immensely). I love em. They are underpowered, uncomfortable, get horrible gas mileage, and drive like sh*t on the road, but they are hell and Jesus in the dirt....and the aftermarket is sick.

Edited by the_spaniard

Is this really a market where Ford needs to be spending money to develop new product right now?

I'm not saying that Ford should spend the money right now. I do think that it would be viable when they are over the hump and profitable again.

Look at the Wrangler again... The vehicles that you mention are not comparable. While they may be classified the same, they are different vehicles. You can't compare a FJ to a Wrangler. If Toyota had done the wise thing and produced a new FJ according to the original, the Wrangler would have serious competition, and the aftermarket would rush to support it.

That being said, should Ford choose to design and build a new Bronco to the original formula with todays technology, they wouldn't be able to build them fast enough and Wranglers sales would drop by a third.

I'm not saying that Ford should spend the money right now. I do think that it would be viable when they are over the hump and profitable again.

Look at the Wrangler again... The vehicles that you mention are not comparable. While they may be classified the same, they are different vehicles. You can't compare a FJ to a Wrangler. If Toyota had done the wise thing and produced a new FJ according to the original, the Wrangler would have serious competition, and the aftermarket would rush to support it.

That being said, should Ford choose to design and build a new Bronco to the original formula with todays technology, they wouldn't be able to build them fast enough and Wranglers sales would drop by a third.

Jeep is really in it's own class and it sells 5K a month? Why would anyone want to spend a bunch of money for a third of that 5K in sales?

I agree that now is not the time.

Right now, build a weeniemobile that sells well, is reasonably fuel efficient. Maybe they would make it FWD? :banghead: It was based off the Fiesta, right?

Wasn't the statistic something like less than 10% of 4x4 vehicles on the road, never go off-road? If that's the case, it's more important for the 90% to look like they go off-road. I have seen plenty of Jeeps (my favorites have the snorkel kit) that are way too pretty to off-road, and never see a spec of dirt. Chromed out winches, and those nifty little gas cans and jacks that are all in immaculate condition. Oops...can't forget the front-bumper-mounted firestick. :rolleyes:

The Bronco concept would satisfy that, although it would hurt the brand name with enthusiasts.

I would have loved to see one based off the Defender platform.

Edited by the_spaniard

Jeep is really in it's own class and it sells 5K a month? Why would anyone want to spend a bunch of money for a third of that 5K in sales?

I agree that now is not the time.

The Bronco concept would satisfy that, although it would hurt the brand name with enthusiasts.

I would have loved to see one based off the Defender platform.

Jeep sold almost 100,000 Wranglers in 2007. Though that figure has dropped significantly because of the economy, a third of those sales would be significant. A new Bronco based on the Defender platform would have been perfect. I would venture to say that in a robust economy that a Defender like Bronco could generate 30,000-45,000 in sales annually... not including cross over sales from Jeep. The potential for 75,000-90,000 units annually is there.

The Wrangler sells well because there are so many options. Street Wranglers to Rubicons, Sports to Unlimiteds... there's a Wrangler to fit everyone. Not unlike the best selling truck in America, the F-Series.

Should Ford decide to market some hokey uni-body FWD/AWD vehicle, they shouldn't call it a Bronco. EVER.

Face it, there is never going to be another real Bronco. Ford doesn't have the resources or the heart to commit to something like that. A Raptor based off an existing, best selling platform is one thing but they don't really have a small, body on frame chassis that they seem willing to invest in. The Ranger is the closest thing they have and I don't think real off-road enthusiasts want another Bronco II. The only real hope would be if the next gen "world" Ranger is capable enough to support a shortened wheelbase SUV. If current trends are any indication it will be even less capable than the current US Ranger. Good reason for guys like me to hold onto our old first gen Broncos. There is an amazing amount of aftermarket support for the Early Broncos not unlike the classic Mustangs. You can literally build a brand new one from a catalog and that even includes a complete, boxed frame and the entire body. You can build a steel body like the original or a complete fiberglass body either way using all new parts.

Jeep sold almost 100,000 Wranglers in 2007. Though that figure has dropped significantly because of the economy, a third of those sales would be significant. A new Bronco based on the Defender platform would have been perfect. I would venture to say that in a robust economy that a Defender like Bronco could generate 30,000-45,000 in sales annually... not including cross over sales from Jeep. The potential for 75,000-90,000 units annually is there.

The Wrangler sells well because there are so many options. Street Wranglers to Rubicons, Sports to Unlimiteds... there's a Wrangler to fit everyone. Not unlike the best selling truck in America, the F-Series.

Should Ford decide to market some hokey uni-body FWD/AWD vehicle, they shouldn't call it a Bronco. EVER.

Gotta disagree with you here. I don't believe even in a robust economy it would hit anywhere near 75-90K. The market just isn't there for those numbers, AND have Jeep around eating it's share. A third of Jeeps numbers would probably be more accurate. To the average person that doesn't off-road (in other words, most 4x4 SUV buyers- including Jeepers) , the Jeep is likely to be a much better-known brand.

While I agree it would be a shame that it would be a shame to call the weeniemobile the Bronco if it ever saw the light of day, more ridiculous things have happened *cough*GTO*cough*.

Edited by the_spaniard

Which is exactly what is being done with 30 year old Bronco's. But we're running out of good, buildable tubs. Jeeps are still in production.

stop destroying the old ones and start making one off fiberglass kits on custom chassis! In all seriousness though, I love the old broncos and would love to have one some day.

Gotta disagree with you here. I don't believe even in a robust economy it would hit anywhere near 75-90K. The market just isn't there for those numbers, AND have Jeep around eating it's share. A third of Jeeps numbers would probably be more accurate. To the average person that doesn't off-road (in other words, most 4x4 SUV buyers- including Jeepers) , the Jeep is likely to be a much better-known brand.

While I agree it would be a shame that it would be a shame to call the weeniemobile the Bronco if it ever saw the light of day, more ridiculous things have happened *cough*GTO*cough*.

I know that I'm being overly optimistic. I'm just getting tired of looking at all of those Wranglers with their bumper stickers... "It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand."

I'm not sure that the GTO debacle could possibly be worse than a weenie Bronco. A uni-body, FWD/AWD Bronco would be the worse kind defamation. At least the GTO was still a decent muscle car. I think the *cough*Charger*cough* was more ridiculous.